coolin

A license dropzone in sweden/europe to recommend?

Hi all,
I'm a student from Singapore, going to Lulea in sweden for exchange this year in july. I know that getting a skydiving license isn't cheap, but are there are any good dropzones in europe or sweden that anyone can recommend, preferably cheap? Any advice would be good. I've

Closest one would as far as I know be Umeå (http://www.skydiveumea.se/). It's about 3 hours drive from Luleå, which would be considered just around the corner in that neck of the woods. The price (for a slightly modded and extended version of the AFF) seems to be lower than average, but still quite a bit more expensive than conventional (static line type) or AFF.

PCV in Belgium is a club with 3 DZs. It has one of the cheapest prices in Europe (16.5€ per jump for members of the club), great airplanes (2 Supervans and 1 Grand Caravan) and great people. The prices are cheap because it is a club, it is not intended to make money (besides covering costs and paying a little bit to the people that are working there as volunteers). All in all a great club, but it has a downside for you, normally it just opens on the weekends.

I started AFF with 2 guys from Singapore in Skydive Spa 3 years ago. It is also in Belgium, reasonably priced, and opens the whole week in summer, so they'll might accommodate your needs better.

I personally would stay in Sweden, but since you are asking for places in Europe....

Hello Coolin,

I have no idea about Sweden, but I can definitely recommend the dropzone where I got my licence last year. It's 1h train ride from Hamburg and then someone can pick you up from there. The instructors are awesome, everyone is super friendly, the price is pretty cheap and you can stay in the DZ until you finish the licence.
If you decide to go for the licence and you pay everything together then it's 2.330 € - if you need to repeat a level that is not included in this price.
You can find more info here: http://www.yuu-skydive.de/ausbildung/lizenzkurs.html

Wherever you end up starting, be safe & have tons of fun!!!
Oh, and be prepared for a life changing experience ^_^

Blue skies!
Live to jump another day

I don't mind elsewhere in europe as I might go early and make my way up to sweden. Would 2 weeks be enough to get an A license usually?

And has anyone faced language issues? I know english isn't a first language for many people in europe so I'm afraid language might be a problem.

Thanks for all your great help!

For the A licence you need a minimum of 25 jumps. Two weeks could be enough, provided you are in good shape and can do 3+ jumps a day - which in the beginning might not be so easy/ or allowed for the first few jumps -, that you don't have to repeat many jumps and of course also assuming the weather is on your side. Also keep in mind that you need to take a theoretical exam, which is a lot of reading and learning and that most dropzones here don't operate all 7 days.
So if you work your ass off, do nice jumps, avoid injuries during landings (like a sprained ankle) and have great weather it could be done in two weeks, but I would give it a bit more just to be on the safe side.
Not to mention that you're learning to skydive, it can (will) be a stressful experience. I advise against rushing it.

In Germany english could be an issue, especially because Germany has its own licence (DFV). However there are some dropzones that offer an english course, and also the option for a USPA licence, just like YUU-skydive (where I went).
My german sucks, so I did all the course and the exams in english but I chose to get a DFV licence since 1. I live here and 2. it's equally safe but less complicated than the USPA system. I didn't have any problems with the language, nor any of my fellow english speaking students.

I suggest you contact the dropzone you're interested jumping from as soon as possible and ask them if and when an english course would be available and for which licence (DFV/USPA). Sometimes they don't announce it on their website, it's organised based on the demand.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. Feel free to ask anything else ^_^

I recommend Stockholm Fallskärmsklubb, about 260km south of Sundsvall, probably the biggest drop zone in northern Europe :) We have 2 big planes (Twin Otter and Cessna grand caravan), cheap jumps (170kr for a member, around 17 Euro), bunk house, sauna, lots of competitions and activity during summer months and from june to end of august we jump every day (except one week in june). English shouldn't be a problem! The drop zone is located 120km north from Stockholm and a newly opened wind tunnel for the days with shitty weather ;) It's close enough for you to make multiple trips to us and it's a great dropzone :) If you are gonna stay in Sweden I would recommend getting a swedish licence from the start, it will make it much easier :) 2 weeks should be enough for getting A-licence depending on weather. If you wanna sign up for AFF you should do it soon as the courses usually fill up pretty quick :)
http://www.skydive.se/311/m-eng-home.html
Send me a PM if you have more questions :)

EDIT
In sweden you get A-licence after 10 AFF jumps if you don't have to repeat a level.