rjangra

Where to Jump (Chicago or Florida) - Memorial Day Weekend

Which will be a good place to jump, weather wise, during Memorial Day weekend? Travel to Chicago will be much easier for me. Though not sure how conducive the weather is, for Skydiving at Chicago, during that time. Let me know if you have any other DZ recommendations for 4-day trip.

Thanks,
Ram

Well, the "season" is over in FL, so you might find it to be a little quiet if you're looking for a really busy dropzone. Sure, jumping will still be going on, but the locals generally start jumping early in the hot months and stop mid afternoon. There's a chance you'll have afternoon thuderstorms, but they usually don't last very long.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

rjangra

Which will be a good place to jump, weather wise, during Memorial Day weekend? Travel to Chicago will be much easier for me. Though not sure how conducive the weather is, for Skydiving at Chicago, during that time. Let me know if you have any other DZ recommendations for 4-day trip.

Thanks,
Ram

Just to add to what Mama said.... Chicago is actually in season during that time. Two great DZ's pretty close to one another SDC & CSC. There will be plenty of fun to have and up jumpers having that fun until sunset in the sky & then after sunset on the ground. B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Thanks skymama and Rstanley0312 for jump season information in Florida and Chicago. Seem Chicago is a better option given the season and proximity to the place where I am right now.

@Remster: Wouldn't it be too hot in Arizona in May? Being from India, I know of all the people I shouldn't be talking about hot weather :)

It's hot, but manageable. It's still very dry in May. It's the tail end of the season for us, and we celebrate with a great boogie. Start jumping early, and you can stop by mid afternoon and relax by the pool after 8 jumps.

There's the Arizona Challenge, the Arsenal Challenge, and a regular boogie going on, so it's pretty busy! :)

Remster

I would opt for Arizona over Chicago during Memorial Day. Having lived in Chicago for a decade...my home DZ was Skydive Chicago...love my roots, but it will rain. Let me be clear...it will rain all weekend. It rains every Memorial Day in Chicago, that is just the way it is.

Ask anyone from the midwest if the weather is at all expected to be favorable for Memorial Day...they will tell you...it will rain. Expect to hear Tom Skilling on WGN Weather talk about the "cut off low pressure system" that is "parked over the Tri-State Region" bringing rain and heavy overcast for the entire Memorial day week.

It will start raining on Weds before Memorial Day...and the rain will end the Weds after Memorial Day. Then it will be sunny on Thursday and Friday the week after the holiday, only to start raining again Saturday morning the following week...it will drive you to drink.

I almost blew my head off living there...

Now on the other hand...in Arizona...I can predict with 100% accuracy, that we will have bright sun and favorable conditions.

There are also two great DZs in nearby Milwaukee Wisconsin both with large aircraft. Skydive Milwaukee (my favorite) and Midwest.

You literally have 4 nice DZs within a couple of hours from each other to drive around the weather If needed. May can be hot around here too. Not Arizona hot though.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Well, yes, it does rain in the Midwest from time to time. I've jumped here for over 25 years and yes, Memorial Day weekend weather can be sketchy. Over the years, I've seen some perfect 3-day weekends, and some complete wash-outs. Most years are somewhere in between. Leaving aside the hyperbole, Tim is basically right, though. Your chances of jumping a lot on Memorial Day weekend are better in AZ than in the Midwest.