freefalle

California Dropzone advise

I moved to California from Florida about 8 months ago. Before I left, I thought I wanted to get out of the sport, I sold my rig but still have the rest of my gear. Anyway, l've really been missing the sport and want to get current again and buy a new rig.

I've hear horror stories about Lodi, which is probably the closest DZ to me. I'm living in Modesto which is about an hour from Sacramento. Can anyone recommend a DZ that's not hours away? I was thinking about Monterey Bay but the reviews don't look to promising there either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Chuck

Skydive California in Tracy is a new DZ on a private airport with a T206 .
Bay Area Skydiving in Byron has a KA. Creature comforts are a bit limited.
SkyDance in Davis has a Texas Turbine Grand Caravan that is smokin' fast to altitude. I mostly jump there.

Monterey Bay is a tandem factory. Hollister is... well, um, Hollister.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Skydive California is super close to you-- new DZ up in the Tracy area. Check them out. Would be really convenient to go get current there. Byron, Lodi, and Davis are all not much further. Byron is probably next closest.

I pop back and forth between Byron, Davis, and Skydive Cal. I don't frequent Lodi because that is my choice as a licensed jumper, but as a licensed jumper you can formulate your own opinion based off of what you heard and how you feel after you visit. Different strokes for different folks there. Out of the bunch though, Davis is kind of where its at in terms of classic scene on the weekends: good lift capacity, good facilities, camping, bonfires, lots of fun jumpers, LO's, etc.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

stayhigh

Lodi is legendary.

Don't talk shit unless, you've jumped there.

I've never jumped there, but I agree it's legendary. Currently it's legendary for having large aircraft with no one wearing seat belts. Maybe soon it will be legendary for the tragic accident that had unnecessary fatalities. Some legends are best to read about, and not to be part of.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Skydive California in Tracy would be a great place to get current again. Slower pace than a turbine operation, and the staff there are first class and super friendly. All the rental/student gear is brand new, and the T206U is set up really well for jumping. Probably a 20 minute drive from Mo-town

gowlerk

***Lodi is legendary.

Don't talk shit unless, you've jumped there.

I've never jumped there, but I agree it's legendary. Currently it's legendary for having large aircraft with no one wearing seat belts. Maybe soon it will be legendary for the tragic accident that had unnecessary fatalities. Some legends are best to read about, and not to be part of.

Anything beyond you're first four words hold no validity…"Life serves us well to believe very little of what we hear and half of what we think we see"

I checked out Lodi today. Granted it was bust when I went but the little short guy was a bit of a tool. He tried to sell me a beat up container with a saber 2 in it for 6,000.00 Seriously? Not impressed. I'll check it out again but I certainly won't be buying gear there.

There is an on going thread about seatbelt use in another forum. Find it and read it. And I'm glad to hear there is at least some seatbelt use in Lodi. Keep it up.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I've jumped at all Nor Cal DZs, regularly at Skydance and Bay Area Skydiving (which I love) for 15+ years, but my new home is Skydive California in Davis. I can't recommend them enough. I didn't mention other DZ's by name for a reason.

But you've already been to Lodi, so keep on learning from experience.