skydived19006

Couch Freaks/Dollar Daze 2015???

I heard from a friend (hearsay) that the Labor Day Weekend Couch Freaks boogie at Fort Dodge has been confirmed to be dead. Not happening in 2015. Anyone have real information, connections deep within the organization, etc??

Edit to add: I sent an email, got this back "I cannot say that it is done for good, but we are not having it this year."

That boogie kind of peeked in the 90s. 2014 was dismal turn out, but it rained most of the weekend as well. It's a huge effort for that club to put on this boogie! I appreciate all the work for all the years, and all the good times had.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

skydived19006

I heard from a friend that the Labor Day Weekend Couch Freaks boogie at Fort Dodge is not happening in 2015. Anyone have real information, connections deep within the organization, etc??

You heard correctly. They have a Twin Otter planned for Labor Day weekend at Winterset, Iowa, the home airport of Des Moines Skydivers.

Nothing lasts forever, but I was hoping that they would be able to have it a few more years. I think that mainly, just like the WFFC was, that it takes so much effort to set up a complete DZ at another airport, that you must know that a minimum number of jumpers will come, or you will lose too much money.

They no doubt took a huge finical hit last year with the low turn out and dismal weather. I was told once years ago that the whole thing was a break even deal, with the tandem concession being the only thing that had positive cash flow. I don't know that this is 100% true, but sounds about right.

Yes, a huge effort to make that thing happen. It was a good run at over 30 years!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

http://midwestonlinenews.com/news/event-organizers-say-annual-skydiving-event-in-fort-dodge-will-not-be-held-in-2015/

Link to Tuesday's press release.
We WILL have an event that weekend at our home DZ in Winterset with an Otter. Plus we have several caravan dates lined up that you can view at our website- http://www.desmoinesskydivers.com, and we encourage everyone to come jump/party with us! It's disappointing to see this event come to an end, but skydiving has evolved and we need to focus on utilizing our resources in a cost-effective way.

gunsmokex

I took the time off from work already for Couch Freaks so I was bummed when I saw the announcement. However I'll probably be coming down to make some jumps out of the Otter. Is there any tent camping available there at all or I guess is it allowed?

Check with them about that.

http://www.desmoinesskydivers.com/#!location-contact-us/cz7l

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.