matbot

Canopy size/WL for newbies on different DZ's

Hi all

So I'm traveling to the US next spring/summer and would love to visit some dropzones and do some jumps. I got my licence in Switzerland this last summer and have around 65 jumps under my belt (gonna be maybe around 100 by the time I'll visit the US). I have my own equipment and have put around 35 jumps on it. I jump a 150sqf Sonic canopy with a WL of ~1.3. I had some coaching and do really feel comfortable under canopy (though I haven't been in many stressful busy canopy traffic situations yet) . Of course I also talked to the instructors and more experienced jumpers when I considered buying it and they are totally OK with it. I do know though that this might be a problem when I want to jump at DZ's in the US.

So my question: Are there like minimum canopy size/ max. WL rules that apply on some DZ's for jumpers with low jump numbers? I couldn't find much information about it on their websites. Would you advise to buy a bigger main for visiting the US (e.g. 170/190)? Or would it maybe be best to rent gear?

Thanks for all your thoughts, advice and information!