mrkeske

Best US State for Brazilians travelers

ME and a group of Brazilian friends are planning a trip to the US next year in the middle of May.

We are figuring out wich is the best State with good dropzones, plus good facilities (large planes, Caravan or bigger), plus tunnel and people to go maybe as an LO/Coach with us.
We are all do Free-Fly at varying experience levels, from 150 jumps to 700 jumps(from sit-fly begginers to head-down begginers)

We are initially thinking of California(South and/or North), Texas and Florida. Any other suggestions?

There's a large group of Brazilians who jump close to Boston, Massachusetts as well. I believe they go to Pepperell; there's a tunnel about 10-15 km from the DZ, and they have an Otter. I'm not sure about the coaching, however, and students can take precedence over experienced skydivers, particularly larger groups of them. And, while I live in Houston, I'd say that May will be more comfortable in Massachusetts than in either Houston or Florida. Not quite as sure about California weather, so I won't speak to that. Disfrutam-ses

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Based on typical weather in May, and all else of what you're looking for, I'd recommend Southern California over the other areas in your list. Northern California could fit the bill as well, but the DZs around here don't have LOs anywhere near as regularly as in Southern California.

Texas has bigger and better tunnels (plural) at the moment than California or Florida.

You might also look into Chicago, though I'd defer to a local to comment on the weather that time of year. They've got two recently-opened tunnels and two big dropzones .
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The Ifly Utah tunnel has the lowest rates in the USA with coaching. Caravan DZ 5 minutes from the tunnel. Dry climate, beautiful weather. We have been seeing many groups from Brazil, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and all over the US. Affordability is a big reason but also the scenery and so many other activities available.

Everything here is less expensive than California, food, lodging, fuel, etc. One of our jumpers has a hostel close to the DZ for $20 per night lodging.
Onward and Upward!

Personally I like the idea of Ogden very much, and after that we go to California, either LA or SF are quite a stretch, but doable. People here in Brazil just say that it's really cold there (for Brazilian standards) for Skydiving, and it's only open weekends the DZ as far as I know.

How's the weather mid May in Texas?

I read that Florida is like the last month before the "wet" season.

I friend from Seattle told me that there it's kinda unstable this time of the year.

In most "big"/"bigger" DZs they flying mostly Caravans/Otters right? Are there any DZs that fly tailgate aircraft(Skyvans/CASA regularly? I know only Perris, Eloy and DeLand that have/fly them, any other in the US?

I started jumping in NorCal and now jump in SoCal. I would fly into LAX. From LAX Perris, Elsinore, Tsunami (Oceanside) are all about 1.5 hours away from LAX. Skydive San Diego is about 2 hours. It all depends on traffic down here. After hitting the SoCal DZ's, I'd head up north. On the way north you have Taft. Once you hit the Bay Area there is SkyDance, Lodi, and Bay Area skydiving all with in an hour from one and other. Then fly home out of San Francisco or Sacramento.