FastRodriguez

Skydiving in Munich

I don't live in Münich, but as a fellow spaniard living in Germany I have a couple of things that might be useful for you:

-Skydiving all year round is unlikely. Here winter can be cold. In Münich, close to the alps I guess it can be worse than in the west part of Germany. But it might be possible to do it a couple of times during winter.
-I would assume any DZ close to Münich has a turboprop.
-To skydive in Germany you need to have the German license. As far as I know nothing else is accepted here. So probably skydiving directly here, without getting the german license, which requires an exam, won't be possible. I don't know for sure, since I jump in Belgium normally, not Germany.
-Most of the Germans I've met skydiving are pretty cool, so no worries there.

Deimian

-To skydive in Germany you need to have the German license. As far as I know nothing else is accepted here. So probably skydiving directly here, without getting the german license, which requires an exam, won't be possible. I don't know for sure, since I jump in Belgium normally, not Germany.

Bullshit. This is only required if you have a permanent residence in Germany. As for visiting jumpers, it is no problem at all with foreign licences. If you need to get the German DFV licence, it depends on your currency. But it's usually a quick and painless process. Theoretical test about German airspace rules and that's about it.

Check out these DZs running over the winter:
http://www.fsc-schwaben.de/ (Porter, check the website before driving out there)
http://www.paranodon.de/ (206 & Caravan, check their Facebook if they are running)
http://www.lsg-burgheim.de/ (small 182)

Largest fulltime DZ is closed Nov-March, but this is my favorite if you want to jump a lot: http://www.skydive-nuggets.de

If you got further questions, feel free to PM me

Do any European countries have gear lifetime limits? I'd heard that Germany has something like a 10 year limit on a reserve. If so, would that apply only to residents, or for visitors as well? When I've filled out waivers/docs for some DZs in central/eastern Europe, they ask for a lot of detail about gear - model, size, DOM, number of jumps, etc. In the U.S., visitors generally follow the rules for their home country.

I was hoping for a German rigger to reply.
There is no general age limit to gear in Germany.
If the vendor does not place a hard limit on the reserve and a rigger has confirmed its airworthiness (e.g. during the normal repack), you can jump it in Germany.
My last reserve was 11 years old when I sold it and it is still flying.

cjdskydiver

Do any European countries have gear lifetime limits? I'd heard that Germany has something like a 10 year limit on a reserve. If so, would that apply only to residents, or for visitors as well? When I've filled out waivers/docs for some DZs in central/eastern Europe, they ask for a lot of detail about gear - model, size, DOM, number of jumps, etc. In the U.S., visitors generally follow the rules for their home country.

There is no such thing as a general lifetime limit for skydiving gear in germany. Only if the manufacturer states one like for quick reserves or airtec with their cypres, those limits apply.
Lifetime limit in Austria is 20 years on everything (cept cypres n stuff) but only for locals, visitors are responsible for themselves.

Repack cycle is one year.
Whether you have to show your gear to a rigger prior to your first jump and what amount of information they want to have is highly dependable on the dropzone you're at.
You certaintly don't need to 'bend over' but make sure to have all the required papers at hand in case they want to check them, no sorcery required.

Back to topic:

The only dropzone that offers year round jumping is Paranodon-Illertissen. Two planes, 206 and Supervan 208, best dropzones for funjumpers in bavaria imho :)
Make sure to call them before driving there, gras runway might be sometimes too wet and the planes are not allowed to start.

Some dropzones offer christmas jumping and also make sure to check when the Pink Skyvan is around (e.g. Zell am See, Austria)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends