downplaning - how, what and why?

>My guess is that on double-sided RSL's (ie Racer) you would need to disconnest them...
Yes, you _must_ disconnect any 2-sided RSL before cutting away from a 2-canopy out situation. There has been at least 1 fatality from this situation.
-bill von

Yes, I know I would load it too high. My actual question was "Is it possible for a crossbraced elliptical to fly well with a low-a.r.-F111 reserve?(in a two-canopy situation)". Point being, if it can't, there's no point in buying a reserve that small. I was thinking I'd buy a 150sqft Tempo, but I'm quite certain _that_ wouldn't fly with a ~100sqft elliptical. This would mean I'd _have_to_ cut-away in all two-canopy situations.
So it comes down to this: Should I overload my reserve 60lbs in case I find myself in a two-canopy situation, or should I be prepared to cut-away my main in _all_ two canopy situations? At the moment, I'd buy the bigger reserve.

>Should I overload my reserve 60lbs in case I find myself in a two-canopy
> situation, or should I be prepared to cut-away my main in _all_ two canopy
> situations?
Most active jumpers have a reserve ride during their careers. Few have a dual deployment. I would choose the reserve that lands you safely during a normal reserve ride. Also, keep in mind that if you _do_ someday have a serious entanglement with your main and reserve, a larger reserve may slow you down enough to save your life.
-bill von

While I agree that a new jumper should only heed the instructions of his JM,
I don't think there's anything wrong with answering it. This board gets read
by everyone from pre-FJC students to experienced jumpers, and often the
people who learn the most didn't ask the original question.

An interesting conundrum. If JMs were infallible and omniscient, I would have no issue with the advice to listen only to your JM. Unfortunately this is not the case. Problem is, how does a student KNOW if the JM is competent to answer these questions?

>An interesting conundrum. If JMs were infallible and omniscient, I >would have no issue with the advice to listen only to your JM.
> Unfortunately this is not the case. Problem is, how does a student
> KNOW if the JM is competent to answer these questions?

Same way we do - by using his best judgement. He will have far less experience on which to base his judgement, but he still has the basics (intuition, advice from others) that we all start with. I agree it's a tough position to be in.

My original advice stands, though. If a JM is competent, then a student should listen to them exclusively. If he is competent but the student disagrees, he still must listen at least until he is off student status. If the JM is not competent, it's a lot better to leave the DZ and/or find a competent JM than try to come up with your own hybrid of taught and second-guessed procedures.

the wierdest 2 out situation I have heard of. A friend was a PJI in the military and a student had 2 out LR288 and identical looking reserve. The student stuffed the main (he thought) between his legs and cutaway. Needless to say he had the reserve stuffed between his legs. Luckily the reserve re-inflated fine and he landed safely.

In a similar vein would it be possible on smaller canapies to do a similar thing (but not cutaway)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I think any discussion of dual canopy malfunctions would be incomplete without reviewing the "Dual Square Report" published by the Parachute Industry Association in 1997. It can be viewed at:

http://www.pia.com/piapubs/dualsq.pdf.pdf

It makes for VERY interesting reading. I have had the misfortune to witness several dual canopy malfunctions, including several downplanes. The handling of this malfunction may rank 2nd, to a horseshoe malfunction, as one of the most dangerous situations to handle.

Jack Gramley
Computer Consultant