wblaney

Seattle, WA jumpers, Help me jump!

Hey Seattle sport jumpers!
I am flying in from New Zealand next month (August) and am trying to find a way to jump with my friend who is doing her first tandem. So I suppose this question is of two parts

-Do you have any recommendations as to where to jump? ie is there more of a sporty feel at any particular dz than another?
-Would anyone have a rig that I may borrow? Id rather pay in beer or swap goods, but good ol green backs works too.

I currently fly a Xfire 2 109 and have been jumping since 2009, but even just a student rig will do to jump. At the least being in the plane (because of rules and regs) would be great!

Im flying into Seattle the 15th-20 and any heads up would be fantastic. Ive tried writing a few dz's through their websites with no reply. I should have gone here to begin with

Thanks for reading! B|

Keep it easy,

Wes

Do you really have only 126 jumps? If so, you're going to find it extremely difficult (and you should) for a tandem instructor to allow you to join in on the jump.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I realize that, and with a Heath & Safety - Health & Safety - Health & Safety, culture following the rules is so utterly important.
Ive only ever jumped as small drop zones, consciously choosing to stay away from the tandem factories (where you could exponentially get your jump numbers up). Because I don't have the 1000+ jumps im just asking for a fun place to jump and somewhere I can get a rid up to altitude too.

Ah, overly-sensitive (that wasn't a slam on your jump numbers, just a question since most places want 500+ jumps to go out with a tandem) and snarky and dismissive. You'll do well in this sport. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

wblaney

And youre reading into typed messages too much.
No places to jump in Seattle, huh?

In general dz.com posters are saturated in the sport and dont really understand or connect with people who do 20-30 jumps a year. You arent going to get a meaningful answer here.

I suggest you simply look for a nice friendly dz, go and do a few jumps on rental gear and when you have proven yourself to management ask the question.

The separate issue is your canopy choice at your jump numbers. Its probably a really good idea to rethink it.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***And youre reading into typed messages too much.
No places to jump in Seattle, huh?

In general dz.com posters are saturated in the sport and dont really understand or connect with people who do 20-30 jumps a year. You arent going to get a meaningful answer here.

I suggest you simply look for a nice friendly dz, go and do a few jumps on rental gear and when you have proven yourself to management ask the question.

The separate issue is your canopy choice at your jump numbers. Its probably a really good idea to rethink it.

Not necessarily..

We have 5 DZ's that could considered to be "Seattle area"

With low jump numbers jumping with the tandem could indeed be an issue..

Perhaps a call to the DZ's to really find out.

Smallest to largest DZ

http://www.skydivechelan.com/

http://www.jetcityskydiving.com/

http://www.skydivetoledo.com/

http://www.skydivesnohomish.com/

http://www.skydivekapowsin.com/

Thanks for that Amazon.
Everyone's got to start out somewhere, and I wish I could jump 5 days a week and work 2 but after all it is done for enjoyment.

I just want to jump, its always fun jumping at a new site, especially with good friends. Ill try those dz's! Cheers mate

wblaney

Thanks for that Amazon.
Everyone's got to start out somewhere, and I wish I could jump 5 days a week and work 2 but after all it is done for enjoyment.

I just want to jump, its always fun jumping at a new site, especially with good friends. Ill try those dz's! Cheers mate

For what its worth.. I do not think ANY of those dz's would object to you being on the same load even with your jump numbers...

Jet City on Whidbey Island probably has the best scenery since you are at the north end of Puget Sound and Sundays they usually have a somewhat unique airplane.. a Turbine Cessna 207 named Gonzo.

Skydive Chelan is very near to the south of the largest wildfire that has been recorded in Washington State since Europeans arrived.. that would be interesting to see the Carlton Complex Fire from altitude... especially on a sunset load.B|

I live and jump in Seattle. There are a few DZs. So there you go.

Snohomish
+ the closest DZ (30 min drive)
+ the best place for jumping in a tandem (imho)
+ the best views (imho) - you see the water, Mt Rainier, Mt Baker, North Cascades, downtown Seattle and occassionally, share the pink sunset sky with hot air balloons
+ you can be on the same load as the tandems
+ very friendly atmosphere, you instantly make new friends and everyone knows you
+ if you're new, the DZO himself will introduce you to local jumpers and make sure you have ppl to jump with and you're not stuck doing solos
+ amazing belly coaches who will coach you for free, often without even covering their slot
+ belly big way jumps organized by said coaches
+ recently upgraded plane with speedy climbs to altitude (8 mins to 13k, fully loaded)
+ you can always land into the wind
+ huge LZ, plenty of outs
+ no jump tickets, like in a bar, you open a tab, and pay at the end of the day for the jumps you made
- forget about jumping with tandems though, to jump with tandems, you need to be cleared for the smaller, busier airport LZ (it's actually an airport with a lot of traffic)
- you will be getting out a few miles before tandems, at the big LZ for students and inexperienced jumpers
- to land at the airport, with the tandems, you either need to have a solid log book to back up your experience OR minimum C licence and proved accuracy (10 or 20 declared landings in a row within 2 meters of target)
- following a recent fatality of a young jumper who downsized too soon, too quickly, the DZ sadly chose to implement canopy rules
- to jump anything below 120 sq ft you will need 800+ jumps and be current (at least 200 jumps a year)
- with 120 jumps you may not jump anything smaller than 150 sq ft, especially given that nobody knows you or your skills
- strictly 200+ jumps to jump camera
- strictly no wingsuits

Kapowsin
+ bigger DZ, more "sporty", less safety or tandem oriented
+ the cave of the Red Bull guys the amazing Andy Farrington himself will give you the DZ briefing (which will be among the lines "land over there and have fun")
+ 2 planes instead of 1, so quicker load turnaround
+ there will be a Leap For Lupus boogie August 15-17, which should be excellent
+ bigger freefly community
+ wingsuit friendly
+ huge LZ
+ no jump tickets, like in a bar, you open a tab, and pay at the end of the day for the jumps you made
- it's a bit of a drive from Seattle (almost 2h drive)
- you either learn to properly crosswind land or walk a lot from the back of the LZ
- depending on the driver, generally nobody will care to pick you up if you land far
- if you're not local, you will need to try a bit harder to make new friends than in Snohomish, ppl have their friends they jump with and are a bit less open to newcomers (imho)

Chelan
+ the most beautiful views a DZ can have, water, lake and you fly over mountains, some texture, not just flattness (make sure to check your position at 6k, because you may be directly above a 3k mountain and need to deploy early)
+ super chill, relaxed DZO, you can do whatever you want unless you do something really really stupid (like crossing the runway in pattern, proximity flying the mountains or show up with 100 jumps and 100 sq ft canopy, then you gonna get yelled at)
+ wingsuit friendly
+ they often organize heli jumps
- 3h drive from Seattle
- no big aircraft, they only have a 182, but a spacious one
- the 182 takes forever to altitude, and it's only 10k
- winds can be a bit tricky and turbulent, especially in the summer which sports 100 degree temperatures

Hope this helps. Cheers.

^awesome summary of the local dzs.

Also: Rental rigs for you are available at each dz, with average canopy sizes like 160+.

For your Tandem passenger friend, Snohomish uses handcam video so the whole jump and canopy flight are captured. Kapowsin has outside video that gives a wider perspective of the skydive but can't include canopy flight.

Have fun playing in our sky!

^ Huge Thanks Sammielu & Agaace

This is quickly making me want to cancel my plans and just jump! There will be enough pictures at a friends wedding to feel like you're there anyway, right!?

Ive written the dz's, so I guess it comes down to who I hear back from and, as always, good ol mother nature. Thanks heaps for the help. I didn't find half of these places through other google searches. Even the search engines down here must be slack.

Cheers Gents

Irregardless of which DZ your going to jump at your going to have to rent a car to get around. Driving around the seattle metroplex can be real challengingB|

You dont want to go with the flow and get jammed up in rush hr traffic so either camp out at the dzs that allow it or get a room close by.

Come up with alternate plans in case we're in a wet cycle, Mt Ranier and Mt St Helens, Mt Baker are nice day trips. You can drive the long way around from the seattle side to Kapow, two hrs is a realistic estimate or you could take the ferry from Seattle to the olympic pennisula and float straight across.

The ferry ride won't save you any time, but you get to see some nice scenery:)
For traffic conditions check out the Wadot websight, and for the ferry schedual and prices check out the Wa state ferry websight. Sorry no clickies I'm computer challenged. Me bad.

One Jump Wonder

Krip

The ferry ride won't save you any time, but you get to see some nice scenery:)

When I lived up there I'd regularly take the ferry when returning to Seattle from KPow, especially on Sunday evenings when the traffic would be particularly jacked up. As you said, no time savings, but I appreciated the hour of "down time" to either recline my seat and take a nap in the car, or go upstairs and stare out the window at twinkling city lights. Better than cursing at I-5 traffic for sure!