blackwing

Hotel near to Skydive Dubai Desert Campus

Hi all,

Those who have visited Skydive Dubai and Local jumpers, do you know which is the nearest hotel to Skydive Dubai Desert Campus and if it's easy and not excessively expensive to get taxi or bus transport to the DZ and back to hotel? any ideas or tips on transportation, hotels and food around will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

The closest hotel I believe is the Premier Inn in Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO) which is about 25 min drive, but i would email the Desert Campus and ask if they have better suggestion as you are not the first to ask that for sure. Also, they are almost done building accommodation and hotel at the DZ but have not heard that its done yet.

Taxi from DSO would be 70 Dirhams one direction, while the price of a rental car for a day is from 80-120 Dirhams and then you can go to JBR and other places in Dubai for sightseeing. Traffic in Dubai can be heavy and crazy + taxi in Dubai is cheap!!! :) Buses are useless in Dubai, but tourist ride the metro for fun (while also quite useless to us)

Food at the DZ is good and includes hot cooked buffet lunch, and hot/cold sandwiches all day, fruit salads, ice cream, cookies, and red bull. Food is relatively cheap at the DZ and in Dubai in general (excluding nice restaurants of course)

I would suggest if you know people in Dubai or can connect with jumpers to stay with them to save cash and have fun in good company. Also, on most days you can get a ride to the city with somebody.

Blues skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for this useful information, I hope they offer accommodation service at the DZ soon, but so far is not available.
I just checked with them and they also mentioned Premier Inn as the nearest hotel, I think I will stay in that one and once I go the first day to the DZ I will check if there is any better option.

As for the food,cookies and redbull will be more than ok! B|

Blue skies
Edgar

Hey Kalrigan,

Dubai is best in Winter - many people from US and EU come and its fun. Especially in Dec-Jan we get the winder festival, mondial; all the other time we have local competitions and lots of organized jumps (like amateur swoop league, tracking jumps, FF...). So, you have a lot to do, great vibe, learning from the elite, and with 8am to 5pm you can make 6-8 loads on a busy weekend and 12+ on a weekday (depends if you pack fast or bribe a packer). temps at 12.5k are close to zero and ground is 20-25 in dec/jan.

Just so you dont even consider the summer (read: May - October) is quite hot - especially in August going to altitude is like sauna (especially for AFF/Tandems in jumpsuits, but even in shorts its hot if not by the open door), also around the summer we get fog in the morning and stronger winds in the afternoon and finally the work hours are 7am - noon (if not too hot)...

Hope that helps,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side

Darth_Vader

Hey Kalrigan,

Dubai is best in Winter - many people from US and EU come and its fun. Especially in Dec-Jan we get the winder festival, mondial; all the other time we have local competitions and lots of organized jumps (like amateur swoop league, tracking jumps, FF...). So, you have a lot to do, great vibe, learning from the elite, and with 8am to 5pm you can make 6-8 loads on a busy weekend and 12+ on a weekday (depends if you pack fast or bribe a packer). temps at 12.5k are close to zero and ground is 20-25 in dec/jan.

Just so you dont even consider the summer (read: May - October) is quite hot - especially in August going to altitude is like sauna (especially for AFF/Tandems in jumpsuits, but even in shorts its hot if not by the open door), also around the summer we get fog in the morning and stronger winds in the afternoon and finally the work hours are 7am - noon (if not too hot)...

Hope that helps,
Chris

Thanks for the detailed reply budd, winter it is then. I'll see if I can make it in December/Jan.

Bip

Any news on the DZ accommodation? Would love to go for a few weeks in October/November (2014).

They said that the accomodation facilities are in progress but unable to tell when they will be available.

I stayed in Silicon Oasis, good price and very comfortable. taxi ride is around 70 Dirhams to the dropzone.