FailQuail

Monterey bay California skydiving

I am a newbie and would like to know the general reputation of the skydiving facility in Monterey bay California. I've heard that some facilities are safer than others or that some have better reputations amongst those in the know. I'm hoping to get some advice. I live in the bay area California. I chose this facility because they claim to have the highest commercial free fall and also it's quite pretty in Monterey vs Davis California for instance.
Greatly appreciate any input
Quail

I did my first tandem there 5 years ago and it seemed like a top notch tandem op, but I haven't jumped there since. Scenery was great, idk if I would pay the extra money to go to 15 or 18k or whatever it is, probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference.
Just a noobie trying to make it in the world

Air Force Academy
Class of 2016

Never been to Monterey but Davis is an awesome DZ. I've also heard a lot of good things about Byron. the usual consensus on Monterey is that it's kind of neat to visit but not the place you'd want to call home. Everything is beautiful from 10,000+ ft.

p.s. What's up Taylor. you still chatting it up with that cutie from di cicco's?

FailQuail

I am a newbie and would like to know the general reputation of the skydiving facility in Monterey bay California. I've heard that some facilities are safer than others or that some have better reputations amongst those in the know. I'm hoping to get some advice. I live in the bay area California. I chose this facility because they claim to have the highest commercial free fall and also it's quite pretty in Monterey vs Davis California for instance.
Greatly appreciate any input
Quail

Monterey is a beautiful DZ for a tandem, but for AFF they are way too slow, it could take you months. I have known several people who have paid up front and then drove countless times out to Monterey only to be fogged, winded, or tandemed out of their AFF jump. Hollister has turned into the same gig.

Your best bet is Byron or Davis, or if you like to live a bit on the edge, Lodi.

I don't know much about the DZ down in Monterey, however...

I live in SF and did my AFF at Norcal Skydiving in Cloverdale. It's a small dropzone, so I felt like I got a lot of personalized attention from instructors. Everyone there is really professional and knowledgable.

I paid for my entire AFF up front and was able to complete all my jumps in 4 weekends. However, I was purposely taking it a little slow and could have easily finished it faster if I had wanted to.

The views are not too bad. It's right in the middle of wine country and the coastline is easily visible from altitude.

I'm still jumping there and will be wrapping up requirements for my A soon. I would love to visit some other DZs around the Bay Area once I have my license, though.