goobersnuftda

Suggestion for new Boogie listing

I know we have this fabulous forum for "boogies" but may I suggest we create a new and different heading? The current rules are that only 3 months prior to the boogie can you list it here on this forum but real holiday boogies of years past (Thailand, Belize, Nicaragua, Africa, C-130 Herc boogies) means people really have to plan a long time ahead for work vacation time. It is not uncommon for people to be in October and be planning for a winter trip in March.

In the real world today I believe there is a new type of "holiday tropical boogie" where it is:

(1) outside North American and Europe

(2) it is not just a twin otter for the weekend with beer and hotdogs at a place you jump every weekend anyways

(3) it is professionally run with a guest list of over (x50) jumpers and lasts longer than 5 days.

Fabulous boogies of the past (and present with Palau) means only those with the inside track are able to discover these boogies and sign up. By the time the 3 month mark comes around all slots are full.

Example only:
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky

Yes, but the forum moderator regularly makes exceptions to the four (it's four, not three) month rule for boogies such as Palau (which was first listed in here in June 2013, a full 10 months before the event). If they're not listed on here, I'm guessing it's more likely that the organizers didn't think to use the forums as an advertising source (or have plenty of interest generated through other channels), not because of the "four month rule."
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4499021

I dunno, I feel like between the events forum, the calendar on here, calendars on the various association sites, ads in magazines, and general word of mouth (including through social networks like Facebook), if you're looking for an exotic boogie and want to plan way ahead, it's not too difficult to find the information.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

goobersnuftda

I know we have this fabulous forum for "boogies" but may I suggest we create a new and different heading? The current rules are that only 3 months prior to the boogie can you list it here on this forum but real holiday boogies of years past (Thailand, Belize, Nicaragua, Africa, C-130 Herc boogies) means people really have to plan a long time ahead for work vacation time. It is not uncommon for people to be in October and be planning for a winter trip in March.

In the real world today I believe there is a new type of "holiday tropical boogie" where it is:

(1) outside North American and Europe

(2) it is not just a twin otter for the weekend with beer and hotdogs at a place you jump every weekend anyways

(3) it is professionally run with a guest list of over (x50) jumpers and lasts longer than 5 days.

Fabulous boogies of the past (and present with Palau) means only those with the inside track are able to discover these boogies and sign up. By the time the 3 month mark comes around all slots are full.

Example only:
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky
Clicky

And if no one mentions it..... a visit to this website is not a bad idea for vaccinations... get them ahead of any trip... http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/botswana

I would say to just relent and give into Burk! He will never give up this fight! :)

Besides, he is right. There are some of us who have to book vacation 6+ months in advance, and the more mediums and the sooner the organizer can get their message out, the more successful their event may be.