bobh

Beeville,TX

Before you go to Skydive South Texas on Mustang Island check out a satellite photo of the DZ and surrounding area. It is a fine place to jump if your canopy skills are good. If your canopy skills are weak, be sure your swimming skills are good.:o

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I'm going to be in the Beeville area in march. What's the closest DZ.

They used to have a DZ in Beeville, but I "think" they shut the doors. The nearest and best DZ you could possibly visit is SDSM at Fentress Air Park. Sky Dive San Marcos Excellent facilities, staff, gear store, food, sleeping/rest area, they got it all! :)
Best-
Richard

LSPC is new, like really new, like I was on their first load ever a few hours ago. Its a nice DZ, super fun jumper friendly. They are still building things up so no real packing area as of now no cafe, gear store, bunk room ect.. But my March who knows what they are going to have.

SpectreDriver

Doesn't make any sense opening a competing DZ only 7 miles away in a state this size. In Hawaii, I suppose I understand... WTF??

I've heard that San Marcos does a pretty big tandem business, so maybe they plan on siphoning off some of that for themselves...

The area can support both. I know a lot of jumpers that go out to Spaceland and westside even though they live closer to SSM. If they give those people a reason to stay around here they will. Most the people around here see it as being a good thing for both SSM and the area as long as they used this to their advantage. I have only heard maybe 4-5 people that are upset about it. Over 3 million people live within an hour of both DZ's i'm sure they both will be just fine. It doesn't make sense saying that Texas is big and it doesn't make sense to put another drop zone. You have to look at were the people are. There is a reason there is not another DZ west of here until El Paso. Look at the map I linked, most the people live around Austin-San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston and there are already DZ's there too. It would make even less sense to make a oh lets say a Skydive Big Lake Texas with a population of under 3,000.