davyvfr

Too old for Skydiving?

davyvfr

What age is "too old" for skydiving? In other words, is 30 or 40 years old to late to begin an AFF course?

Nope, I prefer teaching "seasoned" people over 20 year olds. A 30 or 40 year old has a sense of "risk".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not at all. I started AFF at 49 years old as a present for my 50th birthday from my wife.

I'm loving it.
Canopies must all be female. If I treat mine good, she gives me a good ride. If I slap her in the bag, she will dump me like a turd.

Courtesy of PRE7117, love that line.

I'm 48...

Just got back into the sport in Oct of 2012. 116 Jumps.

Definitely do not feel too old at all!

As DSE stated, never too old! Amazing sport. Lew Sanborn was out at our DZ a few weeks ago. He's the first licensed skydiver in the game. Still jumping at 84+ (don't quote me, could be older, lol).

davyvfr

What age is "too old" for skydiving? In other words, is 30 or 40 years old to late to begin an AFF course?

No. Lots of folks started in their 50s or even later.
Professor Kallend and GrannyInTheSky are the two who first come to mind. There are a lot of others.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DSE

Never too old...This man has been around for a while, but didn't start til he was in his late 60's.
He's also in pretty good shape.

Tell him to point those toes.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I started to celebrate my 50th birthday. 1200 jumps later I am still having fun.

My wife started at age 54. She has made >70 jumps so far.

As an AFF instructor, I see all ages of students. Physical, mental, & emotional condition matter, age does not.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

30 or 40 too old to start!!! Not at all.

I did my first jump (tandem) at age 51, and immediately signed up for lessons. This weekend will be my 9th jump birthday, and I have 1283 jumps now.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

drdive

30 or 40 too old to start!!! Not at all.

I did my first jump (tandem) at age 51, and immediately signed up for lessons. This weekend will be my 9th jump birthday, and I have 1283 jumps now.

Wow... You're even older than I thought! ;)
Remster

I was almost 51 when I made my first tandem jump. I did 3 tandems to make sure I really liked it, and then started AFF. My first jump was in July 2007. Do a tandem or two and see if it is something that you really would like to do and if it is . . . GO FOR IT!
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

The majority of skydivers are either:
Mid-30's - Late 40's : these are the one's that have a career (not a job) and can afford to skydive without having to sacrifice rent, food, car, school payment, or whatever other life things they need to pay.

Retired People : these are the one's that stuck with the sport back when having a neon green and pink main was cool. However, these dinosaurs have a wealth of information and experience and are willing to jump with anyone.

GooniesKid

Mid-30's - Late 40's : these are the one's that have a career (not a job) and can afford to skydive without having to sacrifice rent, food, car, school payment, or whatever other life things they need to pay.

Retired People : these are the one's that stuck with the sport back when having a neon green and pink main was cool. However, these dinosaurs have a wealth of information and experience and are willing to jump with anyone.

Umm...your timeline is a bit off. ;)

I started out when 1/2 the canopies on the load were ROUND - neon didn't come out till quite some time later, followed by the creation of the 'SAPS' organization.

I may be old...but I'm far from work-force retirement! :D

Back then, being a member of 'POPS' was a considerable statement of status within the sport.

It meant for the most part - that skydiver had started jumping in or around the late 50's & had 20 years in the game. You didn't see a whole lotta guys with a POPS patch walking without a limp! :ph34r:

You certainly didn't see as many over 40's just starting out as you do now...that says much about both the perception and equipment these daze. B|

I'm a card carrying member of both POPS & SAPS...the first is more of an identifier of age, the second a clue as to 'time in the sport'. Neither holds the 'status' that they once did...and maybe that's a GOOD thing!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Too old for a thrill like you can't get anywhere else?

Be a gravity flyer...and you won't say too old anymore. Npw being busted up so many times, I am too old to continue, but Ive touched all the bases and hit a few home runs, so I am not complaining.

airtwardo

Umm...your timeline is a bit off. ;)

I started out when 1/2 the canopies on the load were ROUND - neon didn't come out till quite some time later, followed by the creation of the 'SAPS' organization.

I may be old...but I'm far from work-force retirement! :D

Back then, being a member of 'POPS' was a considerable statement of status within the sport.

It meant for the most part - that skydiver had started jumping in or around the late 50's & had 20 years in the game. You didn't see a whole lotta guys with a POPS patch walking without a limp! :ph34r:

You certainly didn't see as many over 40's just starting out as you do now...that says much about both the perception and equipment these daze. B|

I'm a card carrying member of both POPS & SAPS...the first is more of an identifier of age, the second a clue as to 'time in the sport'. Neither holds the 'status' that they once did...and maybe that's a GOOD thing!

see airtwardo, that's why i like you! B|

chuteless

a few prospects ....( for what ).

I suppose Ive hooked up with such a variety of prospects over the last 50 years.........prospects for just about anything.

You know, prospects..as in the ladies ;)

I call all my potential ladies "prospects"...if ya know what i mean :ph34r: