sdigital

Where to jump near Fort Lauderdale or Miami FL

Trying to get over the winter blues.

My parents have a place in Fort Lauderdale. I'm trying to find a place to funjump near there.

Sebastian and Z-Hills are each 100+ miles away.

I've seen Skydive Miami mixed reviews about them being tandem-dependent and limited facilities.

What are your thoughts on the above or anything else?

There's a place out in Clewiston which is probably a lot closer for you, though still not what I would call "local."

I haven't jumped there but have been meaning to - from what I understand it's got a great small DZ vibe.

I think they have a Caravan or something similarly-sized. I'm sure someone can chime in if I'm wrong.

I think I'm leaning of just doing Sebastian.

What's the deal with the Skydive Miami place in Homestead? Is it a tiny operation?

I saw the Clewistown one. Its almost the same mileage as Sebastian from FLL. What's your take on that operation?

Thanks for the input!

We are Skydive Spaceland Clewiston, www.skydivespaceland.com

We have the fastest most comfortable jumpship in South Florida, 900hp Super Caravan. Huge landing areas, food on site, gear store and rigging services.....new jumpers are always welcome and greeted with a smile!

I was in Pompano 2 years ago and went up to Clewston for my AFF jumps 2-5. On the first day we reviewed all of the ground stuff as it was a weather day and it had been 18 months since I did the ground school in Michigan. Day two we jumped. Great place to jump, lot's of room to land, food, and a fast plane! It was an easy drive from Pompano once I got west of Ft. Lauderdale traffic. On day two I drove up to W. Palm and then west just to mix it up.

Miami / Fort Lauderdale is a weird place when it comes to skydiving and has pretty much always been that way for as long as I can remember (1995 till today).

There are three medium sized DZ's near there.
My classification for size:
Small - Piston Cessna,
Medium - one Turbine,
Large - Multiple turbines *flying*

The lack of large DZ's is most likely a function of airspace and location. You have to get quite a bit away from the cities to have good airspace and with the Ocean to the East and the swamp to the West you have to go pretty far North, South or West to get friendly airspace.

Skydive Miami in Homestead. Friendly place, Caravan aircraft. Every time I have been there they have a bunch of student activity but very little fun jumping. They do hold NSL events there and have these mentoring days where they do fun competitions like two ways for the low timers. Can't speak to the freefly scene, but I rarely see any on my trips there. I think they might have some wingsuit restrictions as well.

Skydive Spaceland Clewiston. Friendly place Bad ass Super Caravan Aircraft... 900 HP and about 6mins to altitude... Seriously, this is one fast plane. Full disclosure... I half ass work there and my wife does AFF there. But it is a very friendly place and we normally all go out and eat at the end of the day. This weekend, I think we are going to have "movie night" in my hangar where I project a movie on the wall in my hangar and we all hang out and watch it. Movie will not be determined till it starts, but if Smitty brings "Gypsy Moths" that might be it this weekend. The only down side is dry camping. They are working on building a bathroom you can use in the middle of the night, but it has not been completed yet.

Sebastian. Better view than the other two DZ's They have some of Chicago's planes during the winter so they most likely have an array of turbines to include Carvans, Otters, and Skyvans. Friendly place. My last trip there there were only freefliers and my wife and I do not freefly. The organizer tried to get us to do a tracking jump (cause he wanted to do a tracking jump). That kinda turned me off. The DZ is home in the winter to Rythm XP a top level 4 way team. I do not know how much they organize while they are there but it would be worth jumping with them if possible.

In the end, I made Clewiston my "home" DZ. It is closer to FLL than Sebastian and about the same distance as Homestead.

As always, your mileage may vary.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Jbag

which of the 3 has the largest Wingsuit family?

Not a bird myself.... So I can't say for sure.

I *think* homestead has a ban on them. You would have to call them to verify.

I know Clewiston has a few, but they are not always out.

I have no idea about Sebastian. I heard they were pretty active at one time, but since I am not a WSer I don't know.

For bird specific info, I'd ask in the WS forum.

Sorry
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334