mirage62

Events that provide dinners

Last weekend at the Alabama state record event (Got it on the first attempt – 47 way and later went on to do a three pointer) I was struck by the two different record attempt formats.
For a registration fee of $150 we had a low country boil with some of the best shrimp I’ve ever had one night. The other night the meal was just as good. Top shelf liquor and really top of the line champagne. Event tee shirt, video debriefs, excellently design jumps. Jumps to 15,000 – no O2 and jump tickets were $30 (I believe)
I really like the format where you pay a bit more but you get a bit more and people stay around the dz. In a lot of events people can’t wait to pack up and leave the dz. Groups break up into a lot of small groups – normally the same people event after event – to go eat.
I realize that big ways of any nature are getting expensive but to me I think the format to provide a good meal and time together adds to the event.
What say you?
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I don't do big ways, but when it comes to boogies:

if the cost works out to be about what I'd pay for food (I don't drink alcohol) anyway, sure. If I do the math and I'm being charged more than I'd be willing to pay for dinner, I'm out. Boogies for me are about jumping, and if it's more cost effective to jump during a boogie i'll go, otherwise I'll read about it on fbook from those who did.
cavete terrae.

If the dinner's good, I'm happy to have it included in the boogie / event fee, and it's nice to have everyone in one place after the jumping day is done.

I'm just as happy to have a dinner provided on the dropzone where there's a separate charge. That way, it's still an easy option, but if the food is something you're not interested in or you don't think it's worth the cost, you can always opt out. I've seen many places where they plan for X number of dinners and sell tickets throughout the day; once the tickets are gone, they're gone. Helps the event planners now how much food to prepare/order without being stuck with too much or too little.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Quite a few of the boogies I have been to charge A fee that includes 30 jumps 3 squares and top world class orgsnising.
Im good with that.:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

For a registration fee of $150 we had a low country boil with some of the best shrimp I’ve ever had one night. Top shelf liquor and really top of the line champagne

I don't like having to pay for 'planned' meals. For example, I don't like shrimp. And will not drink at all if I have to drive at all. So these kinds of "extra's" are worthless to me.

I prefer the option of having a meal I pay for separately and not having to buy it. That way if it is something I like I can eat, if not then I didn't waste money. Also, you have to think of people with dietary restrictions. When I hold a class in my real world job, the company caters the lunches. I often have to have the hotels make secondary dishes for people with allergies and flat out dislikes.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334