Paul_sri150

Skydive space centre, Florida USA

Hi all

I got my A licence back in July and I am loving being a skydiver!

I am going on holiday to the USA next month and would love to jump whilst I am over there. I am staying in Florida and have been researching DZ's to jump, I have seen the 'skydive space centre' advertising 18k drops over Kennedy space centre!! And I am a little bit of a geek so this would be amazing for me!

Anyway....has anyone jumped there and if so what is your feedback? I would need to rent a rig/helmet/goggles/alti also as I don't want up be lugging my gear to the states

If you haven't jumped there, could you recommend a DZ in Florida? Close to I-Drive?

Thanks for any feedback

Paul

Word on the street is that it's kind of a tandem factory. You might get more jumps at DeLand or Sebastian and I'm pretty sure you could rent all the gear you need at both.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I did find out today that you don't get oxygen on the plane when you go to 18,000 in Titusville. I believe the USPA recommendation is that you should have oxygen above 15,000.

I confirmed with the DeLand operations manager that you can rent all of the gear that you requested and they said, "we WILL get you in the air" during the week. I think an average day is about 10 Pac loads on the slow days during the week.

As far as being close to I-Drive, Lake Wales is technically the closest dropzone but I don't know how often their loads go up.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I did find out today that you don't get oxygen on the plane when you go to 18,000 in Titusville.

FYI their KingAir takes 9 minutes from wheels up to exit at 18000ft with a full load. 7 Minutes for 150000ft. I did hundreds of jumps there and never felt or seen anything remotely resembling hypoxia during them.

***I did find out today that you don't get oxygen on the plane when you go to 18,000 in Titusville.

FYI their KingAir takes 9 minutes from wheels up to exit at 18000ft with a full load. 7 Minutes for 150000ft. I did hundreds of jumps there and never felt or seen anything remotely resembling hypoxia during them.

Nice..... ( I guess)
But what FUN is it..... IF ya' wind up doing a SOLO skydive for a minute and a half ????
KAs are Ok... but i'd rather take an otter or a skyvan ANYday....
ps/// I don't NEED to get to altitude in 9 minutes......I'll take a 15 minute trip, happily.B|;)

jmy

That's good to know!

***I did find out today that you don't get oxygen on the plane when you go to 18,000 in Titusville.

That's nice, however the FAR's state that it must be provided.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If you haven't jumped there, could you recommend a DZ in Florida? Close to I-Drive?

From Orlando you have plenty of options. All my *opinion*.

Space Center.... Uh, last I heard it was mainly a tandem mill and they do not really take care of fun jumpers. that may have changed, but I have lived in FL most of my life and been jumping for 20 years and I keep forgetting that place exists.... That, IMO, should tell you something about it.

DeLand. Great place, but it can be lonely if you do not know anyone. They fly a BUNCH and have some massively skilled jumpers there... BUT they are mostly on teams or jumping with each other. If you are a local, you can get in on some great skydives.... But I have seen visitors have to do solos or jump with other visitors. I have done many team jumps there. GREAT for teams.

Zhills. Used to have the best vibe for 'Fun' in FL (IMO). I moved there in 1996 because of the vibe. Still a fun place, still have organizers on most loads. This will be the easiest place to get on group jumps.

Lake Wales. Eh, I'd go somewhere else.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What about Sebastian?

I thought he mentioned something about being close to I drive? I don't remember it being that close.

Space Center < 1hr
Deland < 1hr
Zhills ~ 1hr
LW ~ 1hr
Sebastian 1:30

Now that's provided I4 is not locked up around Fantasy of Flight (but then again I took the back roads).
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334