maggy187

Talk to me about Deland.

I've been out of the sky for almost a year now and I am back in a position to where I can jump regularly again. I recently moved to Savannah, GA and my job has me working Sat-Mon; so the more local weekend DZs are out of the question.

Deland sits around 3.5 hours away and with all this free time that I have on my hands it's kind of a no brainer; but I have a few questions.

1.) What does the weekday crowd look like? I'm not expecting to turn out 20 jumps a day but I'd also like to not have to sit around and wait all day for the load to fill up.

2.) How are the facilities? I'm probably going to be pitching my tent; so the use of a shower/ bathroom every now and then would be nice.

3.) How's the area around the DZ? Is there a lot to do when the weather doesn't cooperate?

4.) How often do they fly the skyvan?:)

Any other thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

It's my home dz, so I'll take a stab at this!

1. There is usually some sort of test jumps/team training/tandems and students going on during the week, so you'll at least get on the Pac. On Wednesdays, they have the "locals load" and free chicken wing night, so you should get in on that action.

2. The restaurant/deck/indoor packing areas are nice. Showers are just ok, although you can also do laundry there too which might be convenient for you. It's pretty hot in the bathrooms, so bring a little fan with you. There is a bathroom/shower area that's not too far from the camping area. It's about the same as what you'd find at a state campground.

3. There's not a ton of stuff to do in DeLand, it's pretty much a small college town. But, the beach isn't too far, there are wonderful natural springs in the area where you can canoe and Orlando is only about a 40 min. drive. Of course, there's always the wind tunnel!

4. I'm not too sure what the Fall schedule is for the skyvan (sometimes it gets leased by other dz's) but you might get lucky.

On a side note, if you're going to be in town on Friday, Oct. 4th, I highly recommend you going to this event. If you're interested, sign up in manifest. Also, get to know some locals so you can work out a ride back to the dropzone.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I used to live in Savannah and jumped regularly in Deland 1976-1981. I enjoyed it so much I moved to Orlando to become a lokel 81-86. Driving home after a weekend of jumping is the biggest challenge especially if you join folks for dinner in town on Sunday evening. I still miss Deland.

jon

Deland is the center of Skydiving on Planet Earth.

Not only is the World Class DZ there with friendly Jumpers, the Industry is too.

On the Airport and across the street are manufactures of Parachuting Equipment for both Civilian and Military, including our Military Allies. Some shops are easy to find, some you have to know where they are.

The Hotels/Motels close to the DZ have very good Skydiver rates. B|

Ask me in a PM where you should look for gear.

I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I'm going to add making comparisons from some of the other DZ's in FL...

DeLand has the best and most inside shower facilities of them all.

The best restaraunt, many locals come here and it has the longest open hours of them all.

Camping is great, but be aware it is at the night jet end of runway area, right next to the fence / flight one office/ you may get a jet running up it's engines at 1 am. Not too objectionalble if you like jets....:S

Weekday jumping can be a bit business like, this can and does put some people off....most of us get used to this and either get on DZ.com or find others to jump with. Genereally DeLand is open every day of the week when so many others are CLOSED.

Finding others to jump with can be a daunting experience ANYWHERE but you will find DeLand jumpeers to be very outgoing and helpful more so than a lot of other places, but asking always helps! Find Frazier and ask him or hang around the manifest office/ packing area and ask.

DeLand is the manufacturing capital and gear go to place in the world. If it's raining, or whatever take the many factory tours, call ahead is recommended but most all places will be happy to let you visit. (So places have full staff meetings and everyone is temp busy.)

There is a mall within walking distance, lots of resteraunts to visit. Major bus route at the end of the street.

You can take the bus from Daytona Airport to DeLand airport and never rent a car! But be aware that the Volusa house of corrections is ten min away and sometimes the bus is full of "visitors."

If you have a car then Disney and the rest are only an hour and a half away, depending upon time of day...

Daytona has a Hooters? :)

C

Call manifest about the aircraft it really depends upon numbers....

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Ok, Ok, it's a mile and a half, (give or take) go to the end of the street and bear right, walk by the Japaneese rest. But it's not that far of a walk....to Northgate, and ya it may not be much of a mall as compared with Alamonte, ya , ya,....ok so it's a supermarket and yo have to watch out for crashing aircraft sometimes....but you can walk there....

Or wait for the bus.

Or go back to Valoousa mall in Daytona, it's only What $1.75 one way? on the bus

And if It's raining and your camping what have ya to do anyways???

C

:)

I was trying to promote the area. That it isn't a vast wasteland when your stuck without a car. There is actually a lot to do in the area.

And don't forget the spot does bring in live entertainment many nights!

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."