Aerolite

Balloon jumps

I saw on SkyDiveMilwaukee.com's calendar that it says balloon jumps next Sat 8/31). I am already scheduled to be there three times next week including Sat. so I'll find out.

I am a total newbie and obviously they won't let me do it, but it sounds fun!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Aerolite

It seems that balloon pilots want nothing to do with skydiving. At least in FL. I'm looking for a balloon or balloons to jump. Any info would be a great help. Many others are interested of course. :D

Wrong side of the country, but all my balloon jumps have been at Perris.
cavete terrae.

I'm a newb too. Wondering what's so hard about falling off a balloon? If someone could fill me in that would be great

It's not hard, it's just different. You get that funny feeling in your stomach (like you get from a roller coaster) that you don't get when you skydive because you're jumping from a stationary object. It's the same when you jump from a helicopter too. Definitely a must-do if you ever get the chance!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What part of Fl are you from? theres several balloon pilots that will take you if you ask in a professional manner. Just make it sound like you know what your doing and eventually you will find one.

are you willing to drive down to Miami Area ?

chemist

I'm a newb too. Wondering what's so hard about falling off a balloon? If someone could fill me in that would be great

The primary reason that most DZs that operate balloon jumps want you to have at least a B license is that there's a high probability of landing out on a balloon jump. It's good to have people who've got a bit more experience and comfort under canopy so they can handle that situation more easily. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Cost is a big factor, that propane ant cheep....

To a reasonable altitude that is, they have to factor the increased weight, propane is needed for the trip down as well....

C

Bring money.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Contact Lake Wales. I did a few out of a balloon there a few years ago. They might still have contact info.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Aerolite

I will be in CA next week. It seems that the company in Temecula/ Perris is out of business.

Did you get that info from the DZ? I was at Perris just last week and heard them announcing balloon jumps over the PA. I suppose it's possible that the company's gone under in that short a period of time, but it seems odd...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Contact balloon Bob up in Orlando - I tried to organize a jump for my bday a few years ago when I was still living there and think it was $100 each, but never happened because of weather and then I moved back north :( A few people that still jump at Lake Wales have gone with him though since then. http://bobsballoons.com/

cjsgrlsx3

[URL] http://www.balloonskydive.com/ [/URL]

Try this site! Looks like they are operating there and seem to have jumps scheduled every weekend. Enjoy! My one and only balloon jump was in CA!

Great post cjsqrlsx3 THANKS

Dan is alive and well, mostly sunset or sunrise. Generally need seven passengers, not all need to jump. Nice step on outside of gondola. (figure on about 100 bucks) apparently the price varies depending upon numbers...

This is probably one of the best values out theerree!!

Just spoke with one of the jumpers when they got down 9/18/2013 They were out of their minds :)
C

I would put this on the bucket list as my personal opinion is that this activity is rare and declining across our country. Everyone has indicated they would travel to do this!!

It didn't seem possible to land out, FYI.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."