sammond

Starting a Dropzone, Commercial Skydiving Business

Hey all,

An ambitious question to start, I know! I am looking for information and guidance on starting a tourism skydiving business based in South East Asia.

I understand there are organisations to approach in Australia etc but is there a global organisation that will cover Asia? Can anyone suggest a good contact or place for general information on dropzone requirements?

First and foremost, how far away from an International Airport does a dropzone need to be? This may dictate the direction of my enquires.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sam :)

nadominhoca

I think the better way to do it, is contacting USPA and FAA. Also you need to contact your local aviation govern entity... different rules may be applied in different countries.

Don't bother the USPA or FAA if you are trying to start a DZ outside of the USA. Really.

Starting a DZ in foreign lands is one of the most difficult undertakings you will ever encounter. If you don't have serious political connections, bribe money and a ton of knowledge and patience, forget about it. Really.

I agree with you in some points grimmie, my suggestion to contact USPA and FAA, is for someone that needs to understand a little bit better the dynamics of this sport.. how is "regulated", controlled, safety standards, etc.. which I think it's the case here..

I totally encourage entrepeneurs out there helping to develop the sport and investing their money to open new DZ, Tunnels, ets... even though they are not so familiar with the sport... if they are really interested, they will find people to support them to manage the business..

The USPA is busy keeping American drops zones on airports. Who do you suggest he call in the FAA?

I'm all for starting new DZ's worldwide, but the USPA and FAA isn't a starting point for SE Asia.

Step one is contacting the country's aviation department.

Actually, step one is having $$$ in the bank to make it happen.B|

Thanks everyone for all the advice ;)

So far I've discovered the two DZs in Thailand are members of the USPA as there is no equivalent organisation for Asia. Those DZs are also governed by the Thai aviation authority.

So I am in the process of contacting Cambodia's equivalent department. Problem is, their main method of contact is via a yahoo email address with a full mailbox quota ie email bounces back :S let the fun n games begin!!

Again, i didn't understand my point... I agree that probably FAA is not a good source after all, but USPA definitely can help him to start the DZ.

For someone who has lack of expertise in the Skydiving, USPA can help him to understand better the business, providing him valuable information, guidelines, safety standards, procedures, etc etc etc.. I believe it worth to try (jn a second moment maybe).