BartRN

West Side Skydivers- Houston... disgusting ad

How could any dropzone create a radio ad as disgusting as this. Implying that jumping at another dropzone is fatal is despicable!!

As a local Houston jumper I was glad that a second DZ opened to replace Skydive Houston closing. More options and places to go is ONLY good for our sport.

But trying to build your business by implying that jumping at Skydive Spaceland you risk death does NOT help skydiving in any way.

Please help me make it known to West Side Skydivers Houston that they need to pull their ad and post a public apology for something so disgusting and slanderous.

I am not posting this for anyone at Spaceland, this is something I brought to their attention and am doing this soley on my own.

Please listen to the attachment and make your own decision. You may also get the file by going to http://www.filedropper.com/memo_1

Bart Stonestreet
D-29888, Tandem rated, Pro Rated, PF Wingsuit coach
Some canopies can be fun to fly, but treat you like their bitch on opening. -- Jarno

O'H, I thought it was the YMCA that was disgusting???

Me bad,...:$

C

I thought the referece to "West Side Skydivers" was about the "Fudge Packer" that would do this? >:(

perhaps they have a different take on tandems? :)

are you shure thay are speaking about skydiving?[:/]

Perhaps this thread belongs in the "bonefire." ??? :$

I suggest you take your complaints to yelp and point this out there, youl reach a "wider" audience.

And yes I agreee this is a negative ad, good news is that they don't usually last long...

Thanks for posting this!!:)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Listen again Chris... the funeral music, the guy sobbing and saying, "Why so soon He died so young" followed by "He should have gone to West Side Skydivers"
Some canopies can be fun to fly, but treat you like their bitch on opening. -- Jarno

ChrisD

I thought the referece to "West Side Skydivers" was about the "Fudge Packer" that would do this? >:(

Really? You can't come up with a better argument against the ad than a gay joke? Are you 12?:|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

BartRN

Listen again Chris... the funeral music, the guy sobbing and saying, "Why so soon He died so young" followed by "He should have gone to West Side Skydivers"

:)Dude I'm agreeing with ya!

It is wrong! And this sucks, but they do have some amendment protecting them! So get on the phone, do something, let the other advertisers know your not going to support them because of the stations false and misleading ad's that they do run. (This is how big oil and coal do it in the global warming issue.)

This is an ad run by children who want to give Tandem rides! Think about this! Would you send family and friends to a place run by irresponsible children who run impulse ad's ? Gripes sake their level of maturity is appraoching mine...I don't give tandem rides!

Let the children do their thing, they will have a harness slip out that will be seen round the world on utube, then they will be shut down....

C

NWFlyer

Really? You can't come up with a better argument against the ad than a gay joke? Are you 12?:|

Yes your right, I can be a little sarchastic and immature, poking fun at any group that is different from mainstream Amerika isnt fair nor is it appropriate. Kind of what you are doing when you poke fun of my age. Now that you have insulted ever other 12 year old on the planet what do you have to say for yourself? :) Most likely I am more aware of the gender bias and pain that anyone who feels they are different than the mall of america crowd does. I was raised in the deep south by a black nanny, that I loved. I watched her children go to a different school, and that's when her kids, my friends, were allowed to go to school. They frequently dissapered. They were frequently the best students, however they were given poor grades by the system! I frequently was chastised for associating with my black friends. I would be the only kid allowed into the local soda shop and would make my friends purchases for them. This has left me with an acute awarness for any group that is different.

I apologize if any one is offended.

I will point out that TX is the only state to put a couples sexual orientation on death row. TX is also the only state that has suspended "Habius Corpus" and the 4, and 14 amendments on multiple occasions. You don't get to have this kind of awarness by being insensitive. That said I reserve the right to poke fun at anyone, however insensitive at the time it may appear. If anyone feels that this jokeing promigulates and perpetuates this hatred and insensitivity I'll be the first to stand corrected and agree this behaivior isn't right. But on the other hand this awarness isn't going to stop me from poking fun at anyone!

Can anyone say Dave Chappell ??

Does anyone know his philosophy?

It's kind of the reverse psychology of racesism...

If you can't poke fun of a particualr group...

This in fact may be worse that the hurtfull speach!! ;)

In fact, DNA wize...ther' is no such thing as race!

My joke and sarchasim was that with the introduction of the YMCA song my impulse was to poke fun at TX with the use of that song and that is what came to my mind, for that I am sorry and once again no offence to any group was intended. Other than to the dick head spawn of thier cousins and such from constant inbreeding who thought up this ad in the first place. Kind of the Hapsburg argument, without the cash.

C

I'd put it at way stupid -- I think it's trying to be over the top in a Joe Isuzu kind of way, but it misses.

More than anything, I'd rather see advertising saying what you ARE, rather than what you aren't. Same goes for most stuff. You tell them about the other guy, and they're naturally going to ask "what other guy?"

Then they find out about the air-conditioning, the restaurant, the flush toilets :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Is there any chance they were trying to communicate a different meaning? As in you might die young and Skydive while you can, at West Side Skydivers?

I agree that it comes across the way you say, but it seems that it's possible that wasn't intended. You shouldn't try to market tandem skydives by talking about danger at ANY dropzone.

I would like to start by saying I am sorry for the ad that was on ESPN.  I was not aware of the content when it aired.  I gave the radio station creative freedom and this is what came about.  When the spot was ready to air they were all very excited and I told them that if they all loved it to go ahead, I didn’t need to listen. I assumed it was along the same cheeky humor as the first one they ran.

I would like to further say when we embarked on the Houston expansion, I always told every one that I was coming down here to compete with Steve Boyd and not against.  Steve Boyd is a great business man and I am sorry for the negative add – it was not meant to be a dig at Spaceland in any way….just what the wuffo ad execs came up with. Negative ads of any sort hurt everyone. There will be a public apology aired in the near future.

Again my sincere apologies to the entire skydiving community.

Joe

Westside is the best side!

Thanks. Having jumped there, talked to you, and knowing Steve and Spaceland, this is pretty much what I expected (and hoped for).

Yeah, it was stupid :D. Now get them to make a funny ad :D

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

GAskygirl

I don't know too many businesses that publish advertisements, radio or print--especially those created out of house--without reviewing them first.

The man has apologized. Now maybe you should consider doing the same.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.