strop45

Texas - where to sepnd the weekend?

Kia ora

I'm coming to Texas for work and will have the weekend of the 8/9 June free. I'm flying into Houston and out of Dallas - Any recommendations for a good friendly DZ to have a few jumps? Wind tunnel?

Rental gear? Its a long way to bring my rig from New Zealand for a weekend, let alone issues with TSO rig needing repacking before jumping in US.

cheers :-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

There are multiple options at both ends. In Houston, Spaceland is probably the busiest dropzone; it has good rental gear. In Dallas, Skydive Dallas probably has the busiest dropzone; I don't know about their rental gear, but it's probably just fine.

Transportation is going to be your biggest problem to either of them, unless you have a car. I'm assuming you're flying into IAH and out of DFW -- the distances aren't significantly different.

The biggest advantage that Spaceland has over Skydive Dallas is that you can get beer right down the road. Skydive Dallas is farther away from beer.

Spaceland has had lots of RW organizing lately; again, I don't know about SDD, but I'll bet they'll take care of you too.

And the wind tunnel is in Austin, sort of between the two

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

rwieder

SDSM in Fentress, Texas.

Yes, Skydive San Marcos. Good place. Another I know of (but haven't been to) is Skydive Temple.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

For the wind tunnel, well we have a new 14' tunnel here in Austin. I haven't jumped at San Marcos since I did my tandems in '01 so I can't say anything about their rental gear but I have met a few of their instructors at the tunnel.

If the weather is nice, rental gear might be in short supply at Temple, there were a lot of students last time I made it to the DZ.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, after further discussion with the company I'm visiting, it looks like it will be Skydive Dallas this time - it works better with the site visits.

kia kaha
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein