ulixes

Cali/SFO area DZ question

I'm staying in California SFO for a short while and looking for a nearby DZ (preferably a USPA Member DZ) where I could do as many jumps as possible during a single day. In practice that would mean a DZ with a high number of loads every day and swift packaging services. There are plenty of DZs here but (unfortunately) I don't have the time to go to try them all out so all help and advice is gratefully accepted :)
I can take an occasional day off or go for a weekend but in order to keep it sane the DZ should be located max a 3 hour drive from SFO. When I have the chance to go skydiving I usually do 8 to 11 jumps a day, so guess that's what I'm looking for here too.

Many thanks for any advice you might have!

Thanks!

I 'll maybe need to emphasize that I'm not looking for the cheapest price. If you buy block tickets at Hollister you get USD 15 per jump or Skydance USD 19 per jump so that's not a big deal. But what I need to know is that if I take a day or weekend off in order to go skydiving I will not be stuck on ground due to planes not taking off with half empty loads/slow packjobs/misc reasons.

Just know if you go to Hollister, the LZ is several miles away from the airport and a few hundred feet in elevation higher, IIRC.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You are so right guys - you're pointing out the exact things I've been thinking. How about Skydance Davis? I've heard lots of good things about that place but seems to be open only Wed-Sun and I'm feeling a little bit dubious whether there's gonna be enough loads to carry me up to the sky as many times a day as I'm looking for.

I usually do 8 to 11 jumps a day, so guess that's what I'm looking for here too.

Seems like a lofty goal for showing up a new DZ for one day. Are you bringing two rigs with you?

You might consider the 'quality' over 'quantity' idea. You'll need an easy jump to 'get to know' the DZ/procedures/LZ. Beyond that, you might be looking for an organizer, or meeting new people to jump with, but in either case those situations don't support the 'turn and burn' mentality that you need to make 8 to 11 jumps per day, they require some dirt diving and a little slower pace.

If I was at my home DZ, I might run to make every load all day long. At my home DZ I know 99% of the jumpers and have jumped with most of them. I could group up with someone on the plane, or just lurk any jump with a camera and shoot some outside video. If I was at a 'new to me' DZ, I wouldn't want to impose on people I don't know in that way, and would either be doing solos, or slowing down a notch and making some more 'formal' plans for who I was jumping with and what we would be doing.

Lodi is going to be flying a lot of loads. If you're renting gear they also have what appears to be the largest fleet of really nice student gear on earth. They have had significant issues with aircraft maintenance in the past which may (or may not) have been resolved.

Super Caravan that takes you to 13k withing 15-20 mins and nice peeps to hang and jump with.

Max, it only takes 15 minutes when you are on the load.:P

I also give a thumbs up for Davis. Little over an hour drive once you cross the Bay Bridge. Open Wednesday-Sunday. Weekdays are slower, with weekends turning loads all day. If you want to come out on a weekday, call manifest to see what is booked for tandems. The packers do a great job to get you on a load. Decent mix of RW, freefly and wingsuiting. There are scheduled skills camps, if you are interested. As Max said, hot showers and plenty of room to camp. Grass landing area and two pea pits.

I primarily WS, look for a guy in yellow/blue prom dress. Hope to see you at the DZ.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Third thumbs up for Davis. Middle of the week they can turn a pac (if they have the pac right now) with only 6 people. On the weekends there are loads going back to back most of the time.

Check out Byron too. Weekends get busy going back to back with the king air, and it's not far from the city-- probably not more than an hour if I had to say off the top of my head.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)