mysteryblonde

Jumptown or Skydive Pepperell?

Morning (afternoon?) all

My other half and I are heading to the States at the end of June for a week with his family in NH and we're looking for a couple of days jumping in the vicinity! Skydive Pepperell and Jumptown are the closest to where we're staying.

We're both experienced skydivers, flatties rather than FF, and we're looking for some advice on where to jump. We'd like to jump with other people so anywhere that has load organising would be great. Alternatively I'm happy to load organise if there are enough people and with DZ permission, wouldn't want to step on any toes! :$ What say ye?

Cheers

Victoria
Home DZ: Skydive Sibson (D106910)

I don't know too much about Jumptown, but Pepperell is more or less THE DZ in the New England area on that side of the NY state line.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You can't go wrong with either one, really. I've never been to Pepperell but I know there's a good group of folks that jump there. Jumptown is about 20 minutes down the road from me and I've always had a great time!

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention my home, Skydive New England. Loads of super nice belly folks jumping all the time and well worth the drive! :)

I don't know too much about Jumptown, but Pepperell is more or less THE DZ in the New England area on that side of the NY state line.

When's the last time you've been to either of them?

Never been to either. Probably should have said nothing. :$

My perception of Pepperell comes from the late 90's when I was doing big ways with a bunch of folk who jump there, as well as reading reports of boogies and records done there over the years. A lot can change in 15 years.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Only been to Pepperell

No cheap accommodation that I could find other than camping (not my thing)

Skydive only airstrip - a first for me and something of a luxury

Land off in fairly tame surroundings - maize fields, private gardens etc

A really good experience for me during an unexpected warm spell in August '09

Morning (afternoon?) all

My other half and I are heading to the States at the end of June for a week with his family in NH and we're looking for a couple of days jumping in the vicinity! Skydive Pepperell and Jumptown are the closest to where we're staying.

We're both experienced skydivers, flatties rather than FF, and we're looking for some advice on where to jump. We'd like to jump with other people so anywhere that has load organising would be great. Alternatively I'm happy to load organise if there are enough people and with DZ permission, wouldn't want to step on any toes! :$ What say ye?

Cheers

Victoria

Both are great. Pepperell is right on the NH border and 10 minutes from Skyventure NH so it might be more convenient for you, if you like the windy room that is. Skydive New England is close to NH as well. All three are great DZ's with plenty of belly fliers for you.

Morning (afternoon?) all

Cheers

Victoria

I jump at both a lot.

As was pointed out, Pepperell is a single runway airstrip; Jumptown is based at Orange Municipal Airport. Pepperell has one of the nicest landing areas of any dropzone I've been to in the northeastern US. Pepperell has a ton of outs. Jumptown has a large landing area, but it's not as pretty as Pepperell's. Jumptown also has a lot of outs, but not as many as Pepperell. Both fly an Otter. (In Pepperell's case, it varies from year to year which one; Jumptown has a Twin Super Otter that is pretty quick to altitude.)

Pepperell is run as a business; it's principally about tandems these days via GroupOn, but there are a lot of fun jumpers as well. Their primary focus shows: at last year's boogie, a wingsuit group I organized was literally kicked off the plane - after we boarded - to make room for tandems. (As an aside, tandems at Pepperell get out at 10,000 feet - to save fuel. It's nice from the standpoint of experienced jumpers, since the tandems are out of the plane long before you are starting to get ready. On the other hand, I tend to refer friends who want to do a tandem to Jumptown, because I think missing out on 3,000 on purpose is kind of a rip off to the tandem.)

The fun jumpers at Pepperell are a really nice bunch of people; I did my AFF there and known most of them fairly well. Both Pepperell and Jumptown have a mix of free fliers and belly fliers, but my impression is that there are proportionally more belly fliers at Pepperell. (In other words, both places have a lot of people who do both, but belly seems to be a bigger "thing" at Pepperell than it is at Jumptown, where there seem to be more free fliers.) But there are lots of folks at both places who do both.

The facilities at Pepperell are really starting to look their age. "It's not pretty, but it's home" was the phrase that I used to use when that was my main DZ. Camping is available if that is of interest. Pepperell has a good "after hours" life at the Bonfire, if you're into that thing.

Jumptown is a club, but a professionally run one. They have a large, relatively new hangar, and they prioritize fun jumpers. They don't have as much of a "family" feel to it - I think because the after hours/bonfire doesn't pull in as many people. There are trailers at the dropzone, but no camping as such (in other words, if you don't rent one of those, you're not staying there). There's a hotel within a 3 minute drive (15 minute walk). Nice bunch of people as well, but I'll admit that I know the Pepperell gang there much better, despite having jumped at Jumptown for years now...

You won't go wrong at either place, but I also doubt that either place is going to assign you load organizing responsibilities. (They have regular L.O.s on the weekend for both belly and free flying.) Your best bet is to call and ask for Fran (at Skydive Pepperell) or Diane (at Jumptown) and find out what may be planned for the relevant weekend, who will be load organizing, etc.

Good luck. If you see the Northeast Bird School (wingsuit) people at either DZ when you show up, ask for Skwrl and say hi. :)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

:)
I'v jumped at both,...not a lot to add to the prior excellent summations. I'll point out that the roads may dictate your choice because of time considerations. It sounds like you might not want to stay overnight in the Orange area because you are already takeing a vacation? There are a number of very excellent B&B's in the area or close by! If you plan on returning the same day the drive to Orange may be the end of day type of event that yo only do once.

The other point not mentioned is the weather and weekday V weekends...

That time of year, although baised upon experience, Pepperell may be running every day V Orange which may, run but your more at the mercy of the mid week crowd...

Location in NH? There is a lot more to do in NH than Orange, if you want to go shopping, etc. Food choices in NH are at least ten times the variety over Orange. Orange on the other hand has peace and a rural feel that many find very attractive, esp if your a city folk. The staff and people are wonderfull at Orange.

Gear? I think Orange has more gear, however if they are slow in the weekday, then this is a moot point. Either way I would call ahead to ensure gear is available. Pepperell requires aad's, both require membership in the USPA, you can join now or at the manifest desks..

I suspect if you work at it, now, you also can find people to put you up at either place!

Sometimes I also look at other factors at a dz, for example: Orange has a great safety day planned, full of motivated and eager individuals...Pepperell has scheduled their saftey day for after the PIA convention, so if there is anything new they can present it on their safety day and it is usually jammed,...Lebannon in ME is a great place, but with safety day in two days, (USPA suggested) they haven't posted any info as of yet? Just an observation....for your consideration.

If your from the UK, there are some english types at Pepperell, ops if yor Irish, Orange has a resident german, he is wonderfull! Orange has some deep and is considered to be the oldest, commercial dropzone, if your into that sort of history, although the quonset hut was torn down years ago...allthough the folks at Elsinore are now planning their retort as I speak....

The bottom line is that if you get to jump you have some excellent choices

PM when the day gets closer and I can search for possible lodging sites, etc...

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Lebannon in ME is a great place, but with safety day in two days, (USPA suggested) they haven't posted any info as of yet? Just an observation....for your consideration.

SNE safety day is held later than most. This year it will be on April 6th.

Come to Pepperell! Its my home DZ. Yeah it def can feel like a business but the people are a blast. Its my family now and I cant wait to go "home" when the season starts.

Reasons to come to Pepperell
1) you get to hang out with me the resident token Brown guy
2) right next to NH no sales tax ($cha-ching!$)
3) 10 min from the Tunnel in Nashua
4) lots to do in Nashua/manchester
5) landing zone is super big, flat, groomed with lots of outs (landed out at night in a backyard and was fine)
6) Private airstrip just for us skydivers
7) (please see reason #1)

New England weather in June can make jumping a chance thing. That being said, Pepperell offers far more alternatives such as the tunnel in Nashua, as well as shopping and dining opportunities there. Also, railway transportation to Boston is nearby, from both Lowell and Ayer, you can go have dinner, see a show and let someone else worry about the drive and parking.
You don't say where in NH you are going, but I would say go to SNE in Lebanon, Me. and let Doctor Pete slap you around. Not as many alternate activities there but the people are friendly and fun, there is usually a band on Saturday night.
Don't worry about nuthin' cause nothin's gonna be okay.

Come to Pepperell! Its my home DZ. Yeah it def can feel like a business but the people are a blast. Its my family now and I cant wait to go "home" when the season starts.

Reasons to come to Pepperell
1) you get to hang out with me the resident token Brown guy"

(Arn't you spose to be studdying or sumthin?) :)
Pepperell does have some "colorfull" people! This is one of of them, :)
Where are yo guys leaning twords given the limited information you currently have?

Is taunton up and running???

How about actually checking to see if they are open?

I don't think taunton is open????

Another DZ very close to Boston, my home town.
http://baystateskydiving.com/
B|

I love Tom tooo,...

I'll tell ya right now I'll do everything I can too make Taunton grow and prosper, them's two great people right there,...

Have you actually been to this airport?
What amenities and facilities do they have for experinced jumpers?
Is there a picture of the landing area?
Is it a JUMPER ONLY kind of place???
Any AFF or student program???
Will wing suit instruction be offered???
Is there any real world, boots on the ground type of reporting you can share about Taunton???

Perhaps you should buy a squirrel??? Before you send people into the deseret....

I only have good things to say about Pepperell. My wife and I make the trip south (we're from Canada) to their annual boogie every year in August. A great bunch of folks and warm welcoming environment. All the other positive remarks listed previously are valid, but like any DZ, the people make it what it is. We're belly flyers, and there are no shortage of people to jump with at all experience levels.

We'll be back again this August
When making the decision to downsize: It's your life, don't spend it all on one canopy

In reading through my review, I realized I described Pepperell's facilities, but not Jumptown's. Simply put, Jumptown wins the "Facilities" competition hands down. Relatively new (within the last 5 years) huge hangar with AC in the team rooms, a kitchen, team rooms, and rigging loft in the hangar. Much nicer in that aspect.

While I think it's great that people support one dropzone or the other, there are a lot of people who have only been to one or the other - even though they are 30 minutes away from each other. (They both can be very, very clique-ish.) I've heard people at one dropzone say they'd never go to the other because of X, Y, or Z - when sometimes X, Y, and Z are completely made up reasons. Completely disappointing.

Both are great, but they each have a different "feel".

And yeah, there are colorful (in all senses of the word) characters at both locations.

Unless you need to book your rooms or other things early, you don't need to lock in a decision now. Jumptown, Pepperell, and Skydive New England would all be excellent choices and all have their strengths. It has been years since I jumped at Jumptown or Pepperell, but that is mostly a logistics thing. Over the years, there are reasons people drift to or away from a dropzone, but it seems that those root causes fade away relatively quickly. With three excellent DZs within a short drive, the market sorts out issues pretty quickly!

If you don't need to make a decision right now, consider taking a tour of all of the local DZs on your vacation. If you hit one and don't want to leave, don't! As your trip gets closer, check out the calendars for each DZ and see if there is anything in particular that grabs your attention. You won't go wrong with any of these places.

Chris Donovan what’s your real issue with my post on

Another DZ very close to Boston, my home town.
http://baystateskydiving.com/

It’s been there for 15 days. Did you just notice it ?

Why should I buy a Squarell?

No issue, I was just trying to point out on which days of the week does Taunton have load organiseres?

Because during the midweek Pepperell generally has multiple turbine loads. Orange sometimes has midweek turbine loads...Pepperell and Orange both have turbine loads every jumpable weekend.

The purchase of a squirlle, albit a difficult decision for most, sometimes squirrles make great pets, sometimes they just shit on ya,...anyways it's a reference to the movie actress Cathy Bates??? in the remake of the movie "Its a mad, mad, mad, world." The movie is "Rat Race." Kathy plays the squirrle lady. Intrepid travvelers reach the end of a road, they meerly are asking for some direction but the character, the squirlle lady wants them to purchase a squirlle, I am making a comparison with your mentioning a dropzone which isn't even listed here on dropzone.com,...(perhaps you can help Tom out by correcting this oversight) ...Anyways just listing dropzones without any additional input is my issue.

I would have taken the time to point out the quality of staff at Taunton, they at baystateskydiving are simply some of the best in the buisness. I have met them in my past life and I was totally impressed with their drive and commitment not only to safety but their commitment to their students. It is also my understanding that they also volunteer their free time to advance the sport of skydiving by providing expert advice and assistance to anyone whomeerly has to ask,...and they are always there to lend a helping hand! This simple desire to help is sometimes missing at a larger dz like Orang and Pepperell and Skydive NewEngland... This alone is worth the trip.

I also would have pointed out that during the summer their are many that want and should get the opportunity and develop the skills of jumping out of a Cessna! Now that's something youwont be able to do at Pepperell this summer,...and trust me there is a lot to learn and a lot can go wrong in those small things...

And I'm sure you can add to all of the great reasons to visit Taunton, I was just pointing out how you could have expanded your description somewhat...

The title of this post was "Jumptown or Skydive Pepperell", my attempt at humor is pointing out that instead of responding to the question asked, albeit I fully understand the resons why, and I want to point out I want to help as well,....

You have sent the people asking the question into the desert, so to speak, if they want to jump on, lets say a sunny Monday or tuesday...as an example....

On a sunny summer weekend at Pepperell, I just called someone who works there to ask, they will do on an average of 22 Otter loads, Orange will do on an average of 14 Otter loads, allthough the person I just spoke with wasen't 100 percent sure....Taunton will do 0 Otter loads....

This is the kind of stuff I would want to know esp if I was travelling 3000 miles to go jumping....

I've only done one jump at Jumptown but I did AFF and got my license at Pepperell last year and I think skwrl's description is quite good.

The people at Pepperell are great. Its facilities are showing their age, any other dz I've been to has newer/nicer stuff, but Pepperell has an airplane, a huge landing area, a private runway, awesome people, and a wind tunnel nearby. You'll have a great time at either.

:)SKYDIVE NEW ENGLAND Lebannon ME,

As my bud's in New England inform me,...

HAD A GREAT SAFETY DAY!
Great food! Great Beer! I couldn't belive that one, but yes Virginia they know how to take care of themselves and throw a party! (Beer and food came at the conclusion of the safety day presentations)

This is a quote: "What a great place, dedicated rooms for everyone: seperate: Aff training room, seperate tandem gearing up and traing room, carpeted packing areas, seperate meeting rooms, turbine aircraft during the season, gear shop...The people were wonderfull and extreemly helpfull...and open theater type day long presentation, the Local USPA rep updating info direct from the PIA symposium,...these people have really set the bar as standards go,... a dedicated airport!..."

Ok, Ok, enough...If anyone comes to the NewEngland area this place should recive serious consideration, "the reviewer" is a high time long standing person that has been around, and if they say this place is a great family freindly place with a great vib and plenty of skydiving type stuff then it's a must visit on my list!

They are also planning multiple visiting instruction on a variety of disiplins,...soo unlike my spelling check them out!!!!;):)

Lebannon in ME is a great place, but with safety day in two days, (USPA suggested) they haven't posted any info as of yet? Just an observation....for your consideration.

:)SKYDIVE NEW ENGLAND Lebannon ME,

As my bud's in New England inform me,...

HAD A GREAT SAFETY DAY!
Great food! Great Beer! I couldn't belive that one, but yes Virginia they know how to take care of themselves and throw a party! (Beer and food came at the conclusion of the safety day presentations)

This is a quote: "What a great place, dedicated rooms for everyone: seperate: Aff training room, seperate tandem gearing up and traing room, carpeted packing areas, seperate meeting rooms, turbine aircraft during the season, gear shop...The people were wonderfull and extreemly helpfull...and open theater type day long presentation, the Local USPA rep updating info direct from the PIA symposium,...these people have really set the bar as standards go,... a dedicated airport!..."

Ok, Ok, enough...If anyone comes to the NewEngland area this place should recive serious consideration, "the reviewer" is a high time long standing person that has been around, and if they say this place is a great family freindly place with a great vib and plenty of skydiving type stuff then it's a must visit on my list!

They are also planning multiple visiting instruction on a variety of disiplins,...soo unlike my spelling check them out!!!!;):)

Agreed with all of that.

They also through the best boogie in the Northeast (in my opinion) - the Tiki Bar Boogie. That's held on Labor Day weekend, though.

The only knock on SNE is there are remarkably few outs.

Morning (afternoon?) all

Cheers

Victoria

These three all rock: Pepperell, Jumptown, and Skydive NewEngland! VISIT ALL THREE!

:) Now if the weather would only co-operate!!!!