Zanehaha

Hi from Australia! (Best dz to do AFF in Australia?)

Hi Everyone!
For years I have wanted to start skydiving regularly and do my AF course. Money was always the problem as I was studying and funds were thin. Finally (at 23 y/o) I have saved up enough to do my course. I am really excited to be entering the world of skydiving and just have 1 question to ask..
Where is the best place in Australia to do my course? I live closest to Byron Skydive but have heard that the weather is sometimes an issue there. I am more than happy to fly to another city to do it in. Can anyone give some advice on this?
Thank you very much and I look forward to talking to all of you. :)
Cheers!
Zane

edit: Moved from Intros to get more views on the AFF question. ~Skymama

Hey mate,

Considering you're in Byron, why not check out Ramblers in Queensland. They offer both AFF and static line and are open 7 days and have onsite accomodation. You can do the whole course in 4-5 days.

Best of luck whichevr way you go.
The older I get, the better I was...!

Thanks so much Andy.
I have just checked out their website and price list. To clear up the confusion, I thought the closest DZ to me was byron. Im actually on the gold coast so Toogoolawah is even closer again.

A novice question which I can't seem to find the answer to:

What's the difference between a AFF (Accelerated Freefall) licence and an 'A' licence? Do I need the A licence to be able to jump solo anywhere in the world?

Here is what I'm looking at:
‘Introduction’ 3 jump Package $1,035
‘Completion’ 10 jump Package $2,860
‘Accreditation’ 15 jump 'A' Licence Package $3,480
‘Addiction’ 20 jump 'A' Licence Package $4,500

I'm just curious as to which of these I should get. The 10 jump package is the completion of the AFF licence which is what I want to get, but I am confused as to what the 'A' licence offers?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again! Can't wait to fly with some of you :).

Hey Zane,
In simple terms, you do your AFF first, when you have passed the 9 stages you qualify for your A licence. With an A licence, you can do solos or jump with an instructor (in Australia) but will still have to use student gear untill you do a conversion course to your own gear.
You may get a better responce with more accurate info to your questions here - www.skysurfer.com.au
Good luck and welcome to the best sport in the world.;)

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

Yes, you require an 'A' license to jump anywhere in the world, which is basically your AFF course, plus 15 consolidation jumps, i.e 25 jumps in total, assuming you pass each level with one jump.

Looking at the packages available, the "Completion" package looks like just the AFF course. For your 'A' license, you'd have to go one of the next packages up. Give them a ring, I'm sure they'll sort you out.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Go Jump!
The older I get, the better I was...!

You dont really need the 25 jumps, the Ops Regs requirements are below so depending on how good you go on your AFF ie if you have to repeat stages etc and how your accuracy goes

4.2.1 Certificate ‘A’
Applicants for a Certificate ‘A’ must:
(a) Have made at least ten (10) stable freefalls; and
(b) Have made at least ten (10) descents landing within twenty-five (25) metres of the target centre unassisted by a TA; and
(c) Have completed the Student Parachutist Training Descent Table required by Part 13 Division 3 of these regulations to the satisfaction of a Chief Instructor; and
(d) Have the approval of the Chief Instructor to pack a main parachute for the use of the applicant or a certified parachutist; and
(e) Pass a written examination, set and conducted under the supervision of a Chief Instructor, which tests the applicant’s knowledge of parachuting regulations and the theory of parachuting

You dont really need the 25 jumps, the Ops Regs requirements are below so depending on how good you go on your AFF ie if you have to repeat stages etc and how your accuracy goes

4.2.1 Certificate ‘A’
Applicants for a Certificate ‘A’ must:
(a) Have made at least ten (10) stable freefalls; and
(b) Have made at least ten (10) descents landing within twenty-five (25) metres of the target centre unassisted by a TA; and
(c) Have completed the Student Parachutist Training Descent Table required by Part 13 Division 3 of these regulations to the satisfaction of a Chief Instructor; and
(d) Have the approval of the Chief Instructor to pack a main parachute for the use of the applicant or a certified parachutist; and
(e) Pass a written examination, set and conducted under the supervision of a Chief Instructor, which tests the applicant’s knowledge of parachuting regulations and the theory of parachuting

AFF jumps are not included in the 10 stable freefall jumps, so at my DZ (we do 2HnPs for stage 9), the Fastest it can be done if every jumping ticks the appropriate box is 20 jumps.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

yo dude,

Those prices are pretty steep. At Nagambie, in Victoria, the week long 15 jump packages are $800 cheaper at $2650, i guess that would also make any jumps on top of the course and re-jumps (if you fail a level) correspondingly cheaper too.

They run week long courses once a month, next one starts in a week.

T

What The??? Where do you get if from that the AFF jumps are not included in the stable freefalls?

That sounds like one Chief Instructor's rule? Of course, a CI would have the right to make such a rule, but that should be checked from DZ to DZ.

Either way, there's no huge rush as you'd need 50 jumps for the next licence anyway.

Good luck wherever you decide to go. The APF has the operational regulations available for free download. That will tell you everything you need to know about the licenses and what you can do with an A or B license.

By the way I'm not a fan of weeklong courses. It's a lot of fun to spend the weekends at the dz. Sure it will take you a month or so to get through AFF, but you get to meet and know people.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.