fell4skydiving

New DZ for completion of AFF or no?

The weather has been sucking on the weekends and I'm 2 weeks out since AFF 6.. With one more level to go, I am anxious to get it done and start working towards my A license.. I've been going to the same DZ since I started in March and have never even been to another DZ. The DZ I've been going to is only open Friday - Sunday and those seem to be the only days that the weather is sucking. There is another DZ that is about 30 minutes further from where I live and they are open through the week so my question is: Should I just sit down and shut up and wait for a pretty weekend and complete AFF where I am most familiar with the place/people?
I guess I have 2 problems: Worried that I will have to retake level 6 if/when 30 days passed from my last jump and the fact that I'm completely addicted to skydiving and just can't wait to go again?!

There is no reason that you should NOT go to another dz. I encourage students to jump with different people......different instructors teach things differently. Most people would be happy to have a dz open on the weekdays and a closer one on the weekends! Where are you located?

I guess I kinda feel like I'm betraying my DZ by going somewhere else (as silly as I'm sure that sounds)

Provided that the other DZ uses a similar program and that you can move freefly between the two without having to repeat anything, go to the other DZ when your 'home' DZ is closed. If they're only open 3 days per week, they can't really blame you for going elsewhere Mon thru Thurs.

fell4skydiving

Birmingham, AL.
I guess I kinda feel like I'm betraying my DZ by going somewhere else (as silly as I'm sure that sounds) :$

New jumpers get to be emotional about their home DZ. A DZ is partly a familiar family where you develop strong feelings for the people involved. But at the end of the day they are all businesses as well. If another DZ can meet your needs better, go there. You will not lose your home, you will find a second one.

And it doesn't sound at all silly. Those kind of feelings are common and normal.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yes, Skydive Alabama is my home DZ and they are great!! And yes, The Farm was the other place that I was looking at (appears that they are open all week long). The weather is supposed to be nice Sunday so I have my fingers crossed that it stays that way and I can complete my AFF and hopefully do my first solo as well :)

From FJC to license took me 4 months and almost every weekend I was at the DZ almost every weekend. Took the time to learn the gear, listen to experience jumpers, learn to pack, and generally try and pick up as much info as I could. There's more to being a student than just jumping.