Deimian

DZ near Salt Lake City

Hi everyone,

I'll have a business trip to the US next month. I would like to visit a DZ there and have some fun. However, I have many questions about that:

-Would my belgian license with my 27 jumps (27 now, possible a few more before the trip, if the weather is kind enough) be enough to jump there? I know that many DZ in the US require to have an USPA membership or license. Can I get it there? How much would it be?

-Which DZ would you recommend? I was thinking in Skydive Moab, but it is a couple of hundred miles away. Skydive Utah and Skydive Ogden are closer, but look smaller and less prepared to handle a visit of a couple of days (no showers, no accommodation, tandem-focused). However, I can stay in the city and move to the DZ just to jump, instead of spending a couple of days around the DZ with nothing else (Skydive moab looks rather isolated).

-Should I bring with me my helmet, jumpsuit, altimeter, etc? (I don't have a rig yet). Putting all these in the luggage is a pain in the ass if you want to travel light, but it might pay off.

-Would the weather be good enough? I have no idea of how the weather looks like there in mid November.

Any reply will be appreciated. Except, maybe, "shut up you stupid newbie"-like answers ;-).

similar question, since you brought it up; Since USPA licenses are NAA/ FAI recognized, Does a foreign NAA or FAI licensee have to get a USPA license? I believe that should be the only license required, but have been wrong and thus asked here. Thanks.

About gear, bring your license and log book, the rest is rentable/ loan-able. About Moab, I thought they were seasonal and everyone is wintering in AZ, CA, FLA. Doesn't Salt Lake area turn to snow skiing soon? But first, the FAI question..
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

1. If you have an FAI license that will show currency but you still have to get a USPA membership at most US dropzones. You can get a temporary USPA membership for a discount. Be sure to bring your Log books.

2. Skydive Utah and Skydive Ogden are the two largest dropzones in the state and are about the same distance from Salt Lake City. One has a King air and the other a Grand Caravan. Ogden has showers and nice facilities but no overnight accommodations but, it is right in town with many options. There is also a wind tunnel about 5 minutes from the DZ. Lots of activities in a short distance.
Moab is a tandem only operation with no facilities. They run small piston aircraft and accommodations are in town about 12 miles away. They do have a big boogie every year but that was last week. Really not much going on there in November unless you base jump.
Ogden will go to a weekend only schedule in November and will stay open through December, tandem business slows down and there is more fun jumping going on.

3.You won't need to bring anything if you come to Ogden
We have very nice rental gear including helmet, altimeters, jumpsuits, etc. We also have a full service gear store.

4. Utah is a desert and even when it is cold we usually have lots of sunshine, it WILL be cold at altitude in November and there is always the chance of snow. We are in a drought right now and we are expecting a dry fall. Last November we jumped a lot. We shut down in January and February and open back up in March.

When you get to Salt Lake give us a call and we will see what we can do.
Onward and Upward!

Thank you for the answer! I didn't thought about the tunnel, it might be a good idea to try it out too :-). I though that skydive moab was bigger, probably because they have a big boogie. I am glad to know that I was wrong and moving that far doesn't make sense :-D.

I'll give you a call or just show up next month there.

Thank you again!