DcloudZ

Deland in December?

My dropzone is organizing a trip to Deland from
The 29th of December to the 7th of January and I was wondering what the feasability of completing 50 jumps during 7 jumpable days was? What's the weather like at that time of year in Deland?

Any opinion is welcome! Thanks:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

I am completely comfortable doing many jumps in a single day but thus far have been limited due to budget concerns. The most I have done in one day is 3.

My main concern with 50 jumps in a week would be the weather at that time of the year and the dropzone's loads/day. I did, however, notice that they have quite a few operational planes so I don't think that that should be my main cause for concern.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Doing 8-9 jumps on your body is a lot rougher than you think. Not just on your body but on your mind. You can easily get mentally exhausted, especially if you plan on partying there too. Is it possible, sure. Just be careful. Honestly assess yourself before each jump and make sure to keep yourself fed (with healthy food and not just crap) and hydrated.

As far as weather and loads/day, you should be fine. That time of year is usually less rainy in Florida and Deland churns out loads like nobody's business.

Ok thank you! That's good advice, never thought of it that way but, knowing myself, I would likely get too eager to jump and may miss some warning signs my body is sending me!

If perhaps I don't end up completing 50 jumps that week (I plan on buying a block of 50 jumps). Is it possible to re-sell them to someone else (or something of that nature?)

I guess the question is: Why? Do you have a specific skydiving goal in mind that you're trying to achieve? Or is it to maximize the value of your trip? As others have mentioned, that many jumps in a day is physically and mentally taxing, especially for 7 days straight. Not that you couldn't do it, but you haven't done more than 4; jumping to 7-8/day for a week straight is a big leap.

Why not go in with the idea that you'll do as many jumps a day as you feel like and keep jumping as long as you're still having fun? Personally, I am happiest at 4-6 jumps/day most days; I've done 8/day for 4 days straight for team training, but that's for a very specific, focused purpose. Most days getting through 8 was no problem, but there were days that I had to dig deep to get through those last couple, but I'd made a commitment to my team to the full day of training.

If I'm just fun jumping, I keep jumping as long as I'm feeling good mentally and physically and stop when I'm not.B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I guess the question is: Why? Do you have a specific skydiving goal in mind that you're trying to achieve? Or is it to maximize the value of your trip? As others have mentioned, that many jumps in a day is physically and mentally taxing, especially for 7 days straight. Not that you couldn't do it, but you haven't done more than 4; jumping to 7-8/day for a week straight is a big leap.

Why not go in with the idea that you'll do as many jumps a day as you feel like and keep jumping as long as you're still having fun? Personally, I am happiest at 4-6 jumps/day most days; I've done 8/day for 4 days straight for team training, but that's for a very specific, focused purpose. Most days getting through 8 was no problem, but there were days that I had to dig deep to get through those last couple, but I'd made a commitment to my team to the full day of training.

If I'm just fun jumping, I keep jumping as long as I'm feeling good mentally and physically and stop when I'm not.B|

I live in Québec so it's a ~30 hour drive to Deland... I plan on fun-jumping solo or 2RW since I'll only have an A license but I want to get my B license while I'm there and hopefully do some 4RW jumps. I want to get the most out of my trip and it's a great experience for me since it will be during our off-season here in Québec (from late October to mid-May). Also looking forward to seeing a new DZ and just plain having fun!

There's usually great weather in DeLand during December; not too hot, not too cold, just right! It's the busy season for FL also, so there will probably be more than one plane running.
Have you all found a place to stay yet? There are many skydivers who own bunkhouses close to the dz.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There's usually great weather in DeLand during December; not too hot, not too cold, just right! It's the busy season for FL also, so there will probably be more than one plane running.
Have you all found a place to stay yet? There are many skydivers who own bunkhouses close to the dz.

It's not completely planned yet, the organizers are looking at different options for housing but I have no problem camping out if necessary;)

Oh and I noticed they have a Skyvan! I've always wanted to jump out of a plane that opens from the back, seems so much cooler hehe!

I live in Québec so it's a ~30 hour drive to Deland

Another aspect is that you're not going to be current at the time of your trip. You may be 'legally' current as per your A license, but you will be a month or more since your last jump. The people who suggested that 8 to 9 jumps a day is a lot were probably thinking about now, mid-August where everyone has been jumping hard for months. Try taking a month off and then banging out 20 jumps in a weekend, it will be a rough Monday morning for sure. Now try that for 6 days straight.

So you've done 3 in a day? Try this next time it rains, unpack and repack your rig 9 times. See how you feel after that. Now picture it with dirt dives, door jams, boarding the aircraft, exiting the aircraft, 9 deployments and 9 landings.

I'll echo the sentiment of just jumping and having fun, with the number of jumps being a non-issue. If you do want to buy a block of jumps, double check the policy selling/transfering the jumps before you buy. They may prohibit any transfers on block jumps in order to discourage people from grouping up to buy blocks all the time. If you could share block jumps, why wouldn't every local jumper team up with 2 or 3 others and split a block every month? They would get discounted prices for buying way less than 50 jumps each.