l_ek0

Newbie curious about currency

I just did a tandem jump and am hooked. I'm giving serious consideration to getting licensed, but am curious about how frequently ill need to jump in order to jump safely once licensed. I'm thinking that I would be able to make it out to the dropzone at most a couple of times per month. Once licensed I'm thinking ill just stick to pretty plain vanilla solo jumps. Is the frequency I'm thinking of with these kind of jumps realistic for staying safe?

"A couple of times a month" will be more than adequate to maintain currency.

There is no reason to limit yourself to jumping solo. By the time you have your A-license you should have sufficient skill to jump safely and somewhat effectively in small groups. Jumping solo is like masturbation: it feels good but doesn't accomplish much.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

GLIDEANGLE

Jumping solo is like masturbation: it feels good but doesn't accomplish much.

Or to make it more clear, something like, "Skydiving is like sex: they are both an act you can do by yourself, but are much more fun with a friend."

To the OP, you won't want to jump by yourself much after you start jumping with others. Like Glideangle said, you won't have a problem safely jumping a few weekends a month with small groups or solo.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

The currency thing is kind of a joke when your new to the sport. You won't die in 2 months not jumping, but your still level can go down fast every week you don't jump. Ask me how I know..I can't afford to rent gear anymore and now I'm taking a break until I get more money to jump more consistently. Your going to run into problems eventually, either with packing or canopy piloting or whatever, and its hard to improve and stay safe if you don't jump enough.

I also thought I'll stick to solos, then I wanted to just go as high as possible and take in the view. Then I wanted to do this at the coast, and in the mountains. All of that lasted about 30sec, and then it was play time, with me mates. Now, I just don't waste my time jumping alone. Even if it is just hooking up with a hot new student, much more fun than jumping alone.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.