SoloDaNINJA

Dropzones with 16 year old age limit

Hello all!

I am aspiring to get AFF certified as soon as I turn 18, however; I am only 16, and wish to at least get a taste of AFF by doing a tandem jump before I turn 18. I am aware the legal age limit is 16 (with parental consent) but the majority of Dropzones have an 18 age limit with no exceptions. I have managed to locate a dropzone in Texas, and one in California, where they allow 16 year olds, but I live in Atlanta Georgia. Other than going through the list of Dropzones in the country and going to each website and searching for an age limit, I dont know how else to find one. Are any of you aware of such a dropzone in the southeast US that allows 16 year olds?

Thank you!

You actually might have it backwards. A lot of DZ's will allow someone at age 16 to do AFF and only at age 18 will they allow tandem. Anyone doing a 16 year old tandem is in violation of the BSR's from the USPA and in violation of the manufacturer's agreement on their tandem container.

If you are interested in doing AFF you can make your first jump once you turn 16 and have your parents sign the paperwork at a lot of DZ's that offer AFF. Contact your local DZ's and ask if they allow age 16 for AFF or Static Line/IAD and you might be able to jump locally and work on your license right now!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hello all!

I am aspiring to get AFF certified as soon as I turn 18, however; I am only 16, and wish to at least get a taste of AFF by doing a tandem jump before I turn 18. I am aware the legal age limit is 16 (with parental consent) but the majority of Dropzones have an 18 age limit with no exceptions. I have managed to locate a dropzone in Texas, and one in California, where they allow 16 year olds, but I live in Atlanta Georgia. Other than going through the list of Dropzones in the country and going to each website and searching for an age limit, I dont know how else to find one. Are any of you aware of such a dropzone in the southeast US that allows 16 year olds?

Thank you!

West Tennessee Skydiving, near Memphis, TN, will take you Tandem or AFF at age 16 and do it in full compliance with all USPA rules and regulations.

See: http://www.SkydiveKingAir.com

You actually might have it backwards. A lot of DZ's will allow someone at age 16 to do AFF and only at age 18 will they allow tandem. Anyone doing a 16 year old tandem is in violation of the BSR's from the USPA and in violation of the manufacturer's agreement on their tandem container.

Simply not true. There is no BSR preventing a 16 year old from doing a Tandem. Further, not all Tandem Manufacturers have an age requirement for those using their gear.

Mike Mullins

Simply not true. There is no BSR preventing a 16 year old from doing a Tandem. Further, not all Tandem Manufacturers have an age requirement for those using their gear.

Mike Mullins

This is on the web page, is it wrong?

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section2/tabid/164/Default.aspx#21d

This lists all three US Manufacturers as having the age of majority (18 years old or higher in some states) as the minimum age for tandems, has this changed?

http://www.strongparachutes.com/docs/Newsletter/TN38.pdf

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Mike Mullins

This lists all three US Manufacturers as having the age of majority (18 years old or higher in some states) as the minimum age for tandems, has this changed?

Matt

This is the BSR concerning age:

1. Skydivers are to be at least either:

a. 18 years of age [FB]

b. 16 years of age with notarized parental or guardian consent [FB]

Here is the BSR about the manufacturers:

"All student tandem skydives must be conducted in accordance with the specific manufacturer’s age requirements for the tandem system used for that jump."

So, it is perfectly USPA legal for a 16 year old to make a tandem jump (with parental consent) if the manufacturer does not prohibit it.

There are more manufacturers than the 3 that you specify in your post, their tandem rigs are fully TSO'ed and legal to jump, and they have no age restrictions.

Mike Mullins

Mike Mullins

Matt

a. 18 years of age [FB]

"All student tandem skydives must be conducted in accordance with the specific manufacturer’s age requirements for the tandem system used for that jump."

So, it is perfectly USPA legal for a 16 year old to make a tandem jump (with parental consent) if the manufacturer does not prohibit it.

There are more manufacturers than the 3 that you specify in your post, their tandem rigs are fully TSO'ed and legal to jump, and they have no age restrictions.

Mike Mullins

Ah yes, Non-US made rigs, I did forget that part. So does the T-I need to follow the BSR (regardless of Rig and DZ) if a USPA "I"?

Matt

Mike Mullins

Matt

a. 18 years of age [FB]

Mike Mullins

Ah yes, Non-US made rigs, I did forget that part. So does the T-I need to follow the BSR (regardless of Rig and DZ) if a USPA "I"?

Matt

I cannot make sense out of your last question. If the Tandem Instructor is a USPA Tandem Instructor he must follow the two BSR's that I referred to above. So, he may take a 16 year old (with parental consent) on a rig that the manufacturer has no age restriction. It makes no difference at which DZ, all USPA Members have pledged to follow the BSR's on each jump, regardless of where the jump is made, i.e., it make no difference if it is a Group Member DZ, a non-Group Member DZ, or farmer Brown's cow pasture. There are both US made rigs and non-US made rigs that have no age restriction.

Mike Mullins

Well, you answered the question very well even with it not making much sense from my writing it.

As I am only aware of three US Manufacturers (Currently building rigs) and they all have an age restriction, which is the new US rig without?

Matt

Well, you answered the question very well even with it not making much sense from my writing it.

As I am only aware of three US Manufacturers (Currently building rigs) and they all have an age restriction, which is the new US rig without?

Matt

Sorry, but I do not wish to stir the pot with specifics. You will need to find out that info for yourself, no disrespect intended.

Mike

Matt

He may not be referring to manufacturers that are "currently" building rigs. Eclipse comes to mind.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Matt

He may not be referring to manufacturers that are "currently" building rigs. Eclipse comes to mind.

I know of a few of those out there still, a few DZ's that use them as well, even one in California, if I am not mistaken that bought all the spares parts and patents so they could keep jumping, with out restrictions. Not sure how that "stirs the pot", but I almost get an implication in the post.

Matt

Matt

I know of a few of those out there still, a few DZ's that use them as well, even one in California, if I am not mistaken that bought all the spares parts and patents so they could keep jumping, with out restrictions. Not sure how that "stirs the pot", but I almost get an implication in the post.

Matt

When Stunts Adventure Equipment was building the Eclipse tandem rigs, I'm pretty sure that they did have the standard/typical "18 or age of contract" thing in their user agreement. As I understand, the Eclipse Manual was re-typed from the Vector II manual. It included information on the Vector I (no drogue), so I would guess that it also included the age min. That said, the User Agreement, and Manual are two separate documents.

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Matt

Matt

When Stunts Adventure Equipment was building the Eclipse tandem rigs, I'm pretty sure that they did have the standard/typical "18 or age of contract" thing in their user agreement. As I understand, the Eclipse Manual was re-typed from the Vector II manual. It included information on the Vector I (no drogue), so I would guess that it also included the age min. That said, the User Agreement, and Manual are two separate documents.

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
Martin

They are two separate documents, one controls the actions of the instructor if he is not also the owner, and the other controls the actions of the owner if he is not the instructor.

When I talked to Shoobie in '99, he had the same mind set as Ted an Bill, the stricter rule applies if you're both owner and Instructor, bottom line 18 (or older like in Alabama) to make a tandem.

Again we are only talking about US made rigs.

Matt