jumppilot01

Jumping out of a Cub

I have a couple of Cub jumps. We removed the stick from the front seat and I sat facing the tail. Be careful of your BOC (if you have one) on the stub where the stick goes. We climbed w/ the doors closed for a faster climb rate, like it matters in a Cub, and opened them for jump run. (The upper half folds up and the lower half folds down, they are designed to be opened in flight.) For exit I carefully climbed out till I was clear and hopped off. You can feel the accleration, almost like a balllon jump because you are only going 40-50 mph. We brought the throttle to idle, put it in a slow decent and turned on the carb heat. Lots of fun. If the pilot is good, you can fly in formation under canopy. Have fun.

Hook

I know it's been done many times, but wow, that's gotta be a tricky climb out. I've flown a few cubs and I know that getting in and out of the thing is a lot harder than flying it. I guess once ya learn the technique its not so bad. I'd definitely practice on the ground a bunch of times first before trying it in the air, but i'm sure that's assumed.

Dave

This is gonna be soo much fun. Anna, Adam, and myself are gonna be jumping out of it all day at our friend's dad's grass strip on sat. It may vey well be the longest rides to altitude ever, but it will be sweet. And hook, about flying in formation with the cub, not all of us are jumping napkins ;) Out of curiosity though, what kind of loading would you need to be able to fly with it? Not thinking any of us will attept it, but I would love to see it done. We will post the results later.

Bret

You don't need a small canopy or high wing loading. Kelli was flying a Crossfire 116 at about 1:1 and I could stay with her, that is until she saw me and spiraled to get away;) Cubs will fly very slowly, especially in a decent next to a canopy.

Jumping a Cub definitely isn't about climb rate/time to altitude.

Have fun and I would like to hear about it.

Hook

I've talked with people who have jumped out of Super Cubs. The way the doors fold up in flight it should be very doable to get out of. I have a farmer friend who offered to let me jump out of his. I called him up a while back and told him I was ready to jump any time he was, but he has since renigged on the deal. I think he is afraid something will go wrong. Maybe he's afraid I'll sue him for his farm or something. Steve 1

I have no idea what is a cub, can somebody post a pic of a cub? thanks

Small high-wing propeller plane, 2 seat (I think), tail dragger, powered by a couple of gerbils on a treadmill.

And, since I happened to have GIS loaded in another window anyway, attached is a picture.

Piper Cub G-BBUU.jpg

Don't forget it's made out of paper or cloth or something like that. Just be very careful getting out, hold onto only metal and make sure you only step on the step.

It is very easy to get out of though, I had no problems at all, then again I am small and have a small rig so that did make it easier.;)
Fly it like you stole it!

Adam and myself both made jumps from the super cub last saturday and it was awesome! Much easier to exit then I thought it would be. Exit speed was about 30 mph. I flew it up from the back seat and then jumped while my buddy in the front seat took it down. Our friend's dad has a grass trip where we had a mini fly-in. Lots of cool planes, some aerobatics and skydiving. We also took the door off a 172 and jumped it. Was a really fun day for any aviation nut. I will post some pics later. As far as getting out of the cub, just holding onto the bars above your head and positioning your foot on the step outside (do not step on or hold the strut or any other area near the wing) is very easy from the back seat. it is much easier in the air than on the ground. thanks for all the advice beforehand!

Bret

Not to be too academic, but....

The FARs don't specify which airplanes can be flown with the door off. That list is in the Advisory Circular found in (among many other places) the USPA SIM. There's some paperwork involved. The Piper PA-12 (Super Cub) is on the list, but as others have suggested, why bother

On my to do list....the smallest I've jumped from is a Tiger Moth, at the top of a loop punched straight down like a champagne cork.

HW

The FARs don't specify which airplanes can be flown with the door off. That list is in the Advisory Circular found in (among many other places) the USPA SIM. There's some paperwork involved. The Piper PA-12 (Super Cub) is on the list, but as others have suggested, why bother

You don't have to remove the door from a Piper Cub to jump out of it. The door is split into two halves. One half folds up and one half folds down. You can fly around w/ the doors open.

Hook

I flew it up from the back seat and then jumped while my buddy in the front seat took it down.

Ahh, didn't realize super cubs could be soloed from up front. Older cubs (J3's, etc) have to be soloed from the back for weight and balance (and better visibility believe it or not).

Dave