Fall0ut

Elsinore or Lodi for weekday jumps?

Hi,
I am from Germany and want to go to California and get at least 50 jumps during my vacation in May to break the 200 required for wingsuiting.

Because I am not a rich guy, I checked cheap places to jump and, of course, came down to Lodi, CA. But I've heard and read a lot about a rather bad reputation of aircraft safety and the rather rude vibe. Is that still like that? And is the place also busy during weekdays?

Regarding that I decided that it's worth spending a few more bucks if I am having more fun and higher safety standards and I heard really great things about Elsinore, they also got good block ticket rates. But this place seems smaller than the (little more expensive) Perris neighbourhood.
Can you guys tell me how many loads Elsinore is turning on average weekdays in May? Will I be able to get 50 jumps within one week? Of course a good thing would be going to Perris on weekdays and to Elsinore on weekends, but I want to buy only one ticket block. Can you help me out here?

I go to Elsinore almost all the time when I'm not in Perris.
Elsinore has $25 jump ticket, management is very professional and friendly, jumpers too, I really love the place, they also do free coaching camps and you can find Douglas Spotted Eagle, a very knowledgeable wing-suit instructor so you can talk to him for any question you might have. I never been to Lodi, but I can talk for Elsinore, I LOVE IT!
The mind is like a parachute: If you don't open it, it doesn't work.

Now i would say there aircraft are as good as any dz.

At one time, the FAA had some pretty solid resaons to disagree with you. Seeing as all of those reasons were not related to the outward appearance of the aircraft, what leads you to believe that any of the problems have been taken care of?

Let's remember that another one of the DZOs aircraft was downed due to skipping a simple required inspection on a fuel pump. However, it appears that he didn't learn anything from that incident, becasue at a later date he also allowed his Otter to fly without the required inspection of the wing attachment bulkheads.

You could argue that the failed engine in the King Air didn't bring the plane down, and that it was the pilots mis-managment of the engine failure, but that doesn't change the fact that the skipped inspection was a huge factor, and that the DZO continued to skip inspections after the incident. What sort of pilot action would save an Otter if there was a failure of the wing attachment bulkhead?

In my book, the DZO has lost all credibility, and unless he's willing to bring in an impartial inspector for his 100hr inspections, any in-house MX work 'claimed' to be completed will forever be suspect.

I did a few jump at Lodi, you just go up to the counter and ask for tickets, and off you go. No gear check or nothing. I think though, if you looked like you had no idea what you were doing, someone would intervene. There are some good people there, the planes I have no idea. Probably somewhat limited my willingness to do many jumps there.

You can get 50 jumps in Elsinore a week if the military is there. Elsinore does training for the British Military, and when I was there they were turning loads like crazy for the Brits. Maybe see when they are doing that and plan accordingly. I had a great time at Elsinore, the bunkhouse is plain but very adequate, the people really friendly, the dropzone picturesque, the landing area large enough. I would highly recommend it over Lodi. They also have 20 and I think 50 jump packages which brings the price closer to $23/jump. There is also a cheap food stand with good pork sandwiches! Clear choice in my opinion. Also, i found Elsinore to be much nicer than perris, especially the bunkhouse. I also like the small dz feel versus perris.

I did a few jump at Lodi, you just go up to the counter and ask for tickets, and off you go. No gear check or nothing.

In my experience over the years, most dropzones don't do a gear check, they just ask to see your reserve card.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

FYI, Lodi is 400 miles from Elsinore. California is a big place.

If you figure 7 hours drive time, it's 14 hours round trip. If you figure on 13 galons of gas each way, that's 26 galons at a cost of about $125.

Perris, on the other hand, is 20 min from Elsinore and you could probably bum a ride from any one of the many jumpers who drive back and forth between Elsinore and Perris everyday.

I did a few jump at Lodi, you just go up to the counter and ask for tickets, and off you go. No gear check or nothing.

In my experience over the years, most dropzones don't do a gear check, they just ask to see your reserve card.

Whoever they is, they did not ask for anything. Bill was friendly when I got my tickets though, I didn't mind him.

Yes, I know that ;) My trip begins in San Francisco and my return flight departs from Phoenix, AZ. So Lodi, Hollister, Monterey Bay, Elsinore, Perris, San Diego and Eloy are all on my way :)

Let us know how hollister is, when I visited it was under new management and had very bad load organizing, the staff were nice and the owner seemed nice enough but overall unorganized.

You missed the best possible time to come and jump in Elsinore as there was a group of 90 europeans from Norway, Sweden, Germany, Slovenia etc here for a Freefly camp called flyfly. Averaged 40 loads during the weekdays for the past 2 weeks non stop
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

How many loads are they turning on weekdays without special camps on a May weekday in Elsinore? I've heard all numbers from 2 to 20

That's the beauty of Elsiniore, if it's slow (or so busy manifest is backed up) drive 20 min over the hill to Perris, and you could be on a load in no time.

Last time I was in Elsinore, they were flying 8 or 10 loads per day during the week. It was a good pace with time to pack in between loads, and you could be on every one.

Whoa! I didn't know Elsinore did free coach jumps. That's sweet!!! :)

CAMPS

Oh, doh! I knew that seemed too good to be true! I'm sure it's a kick ass place anyway.... but free coaching would have definitely made it super kick ass ;)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Yup, dave is right on around 8-10 ish during regular weekday jumping. Though Thurs - Sunday they have amazing organizers to jump with. And if for some reason it's dead then you could always drive 25min out to Perris and see what is happening there or just hit up the tunnel there if its raining and what not.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Almost all the organizers at elsinore will give you some coaching debriefing and tips as time permits but nothing like you would get from a full day with 1 on 1 training with someone like andy malchiodi or someone of that nature.

But hey its a better than nothing and we pass on all we learn from those better than us to the next group of skydivers progressing. Its what the guys above us are doing now and have been for free, at least in socal, and certainly what those of us learning from them are doing. There is alot of talent out there and way to many people trying to only make a profit and better themselves vs giving back. off my soap box. try to be more like socal other areas

hope you make it down to experience what all the dz's here have to offer

Yes, I know that ;) My trip begins in San Francisco and my return flight departs from Phoenix, AZ. So Lodi, Hollister, Monterey Bay, Elsinore, Perris, San Diego and Eloy are all on my way :)

Let us know how hollister is, when I visited it was under new management and had very bad load organizing, the staff were nice and the owner seemed nice enough but overall unorganized.

Don't even bother with Hollister, no matter what they tell you on the phone. All they turn on weekdays are a few $25 loads to 9k. It's hard to count on anything at Montery with the fog and wind.

Almost all the organizers at elsinore will give you some coaching debriefing and tips as time permits but nothing like you would get from a full day with 1 on 1 training with someone like andy malchiodi or someone of that nature.

But hey its a better than nothing and we pass on all we learn from those better than us to the next group of skydivers progressing. Its what the guys above us are doing now and have been for free, at least in socal, and certainly what those of us learning from them are doing. There is alot of talent out there and way to many people trying to only make a profit and better themselves vs giving back. off my soap box. try to be more like socal other areas

hope you make it down to experience what all the dz's here have to offer

Don't get me wrong-- I'm totally willing to pay good money for coaching. Good coaches deserve it. I'm shelling out a ton of money right now for good tunnel coaching with a great coach, and it's money well spent. But, I do appreciate the guys with the mentality of trying to pay it forward or help progress the next generation of skydivers. I like this approach in all walks of life-- not just skydiving. Weather I get coaching from you or not, I hope to run into you and buy you a beer when I'm down in SoCal one of these days :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Lodi, if you go there by yourself and not such a badass, you might have some difficult time there, but plus side is cheap tickets and there is real tunnel, sfbay.

Elsinore, friendly environment and have organizer thur, sat and sun, and there are two fake tunnels, hollywood and perris, and if wingsuiting is main goal there is great program over at elsinore that will accomodate jumpers with over 200 jumps, and the view from the up top is much better than Lodi, Perris. Also Elsinore has amazing weather, such a drastic difference between Perris and Elsinore despite of 10 mile separation.

Perris is 20 min drive away, and there are more rules, killing the fun factor but there are other perks as well, there is restaurant on site, load organizer everyday. pool and shade for the hot summer days, and there are people who will pick you up if you land off.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016