Ron

Stupid things I have done

I just got my A license and was doing my first 2 way without an instructor. . . .

I was in control of the exit and counted way too fast. Dive went well, we did 4 points and then tracked away from each other. Unfortunately for me, that meant tracking along the jump run.

If there were only two of you, why did the both of you not track perpendicular to jump run? Even if you're facing up and down jump run during the dive, that doesn't mean you need to turn 180 and track at the end of the dive. You could both turn 90 degrees instead.

Of course that makes perfect sense now with the benefit of hindsight. Truth is, we didn't plan it or brief it beforehand so when it came to breakoff alt we just did a 180.

In the future I'll make sure we both track perpendicular to jumprun but alas, this was my first time doing this and didn't have it in my head at the time.

In the future I'll make sure we both track perpendicular to jumprun but alas, this was my first time doing this and didn't have it in my head at the time.

Honestly, with 30 jumps and one year in the sport, I think the responsibility lies mostly with the much more experienced jumper you were jumping with. Whenever I take new jumpers on any sort of jump (2-way, 3-way, 4-way, etc.), I always discuss how to track off, and why not to track up or down jump run.

In any case, I'm glad nothing bad ended up happening, and you now know of one other thing you need to think about on a jump.

Continuing Ron's theme. Yesterday after an 8 way, track little bit further than normal, mess around with slider and housekeeping little bit more than normal. End result I looked at my alti just before clearing my brakes for a control check and it was 1000ft. I had just spent 800 -1000 foot doing irrelevant stuff, so control check was well below my hard deck.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

ghost47

I just got my A license and was doing my first 2 way without an instructor. . . .

I was in control of the exit and counted way too fast. Dive went well, we did 4 points and then tracked away from each other. Unfortunately for me, that meant tracking along the jump run.

If there were only two of you, why did the both of you not track perpendicular to jump run? Even if you're facing up and down jump run during the dive, that doesn't mean you need to turn 180 and track at the end of the dive. You could both turn 90 degrees instead.

This is not intended as a flame, but if the track was a normal 5 second track and 2 groups got close wasn't the problem was inadequate separation? We had something similar today, 2 flat groups on break track away from the centre and 1 from each group come uncomfortable close. The separation had been declared by jump master as 12 seconds, and the individual concerned on the second group (I was on the first but not the near miss) confirmed they the separation was correct. This individual is an experienced skydiver and very safety conscious. Our problem was (probably) caused by an unexpected increase in windspeed at the top resulting the 12 seconds separation of the previous jump not being adequate for this jump.
Rich M

RichM

<...> wasn't the problem was inadequate separation? We had something similar today, <...> unexpected increase in windspeed at the top resulting the 12 seconds separation of the previous jump not being adequate for this jump.

Why not track perpendicular to jumprun just in case something unexpected like this happens? It's quite easy once you make it a habit. Isn't it just about breaking a link in the chain of events? Or were you actually tracking perpendicular and still got close on opening?

I was on a load where we didn't fully plan/agree on our landing direction. The wind was low and variable, but we had landed the same direction for the last 3 jumps. Me and another guy planed to land the same way, but we ended up being the only ones landing against everybody else. There was high traffic on my final approach and the wind was gusting, I was scared to land down/crosswind. I saw a break in the traffic and decided to cut across and squeeze in before the next guy landed. We all landed fine, but I probably fucked up the next guy's final approach. I don't think it was fully my fault, but I should have just taken the downwind landing. I panicked.

unkulunkulu

<...> wasn't the problem was inadequate separation? We had something similar today, <...> unexpected increase in windspeed at the top resulting the 12 seconds separation of the previous jump not being adequate for this jump.

Why not track perpendicular to jumprun just in case something unexpected like this happens? It's quite easy once you make it a habit. Isn't it just about breaking a link in the chain of events? Or were you actually tracking perpendicular and still got close on opening?

I was in a 6 way and a 4 way followed us out and we all tracked away from the centre of our formations.
Rich M

I was in a 6 way and a 4 way followed us out and we all tracked away from the centre of our formations.

If you're in a 6-way, it would seem to me that no one should be tracking up jump run (I'd send two at 45 degrees to jump run, 2 at 90 degrees, and 2 at 135 degrees), so if that's how you broke off, and you still ran into the second group, then yes, I think the second group left way too soon.

If you're in a somewhat bigger way and someone must track up jump run, one method I've seen is to go up jump run a little bit, and then veer left or right. It doesn't solve all problems if the group after you had inadequate separation, but should hopefully help some.

ghost47

If you're in a 6-way, it would seem to me that no one should be tracking up jump run (I'd send two at 45 degrees to jump run, 2 at 90 degrees, and 2 at 135 degrees), so if that's how you broke off, and you still ran into the second group, then yes, I think the second group left way too soon.

If you're in a somewhat bigger way and someone must track up jump run, one method I've seen is to go up jump run a little bit, and then veer left or right. It doesn't solve all problems if the group after you had inadequate separation, but should hopefully help some.

Your primary responsibility on a track is to separate from your own group. It seems to me that the likelihood of a collision because of inadequate separation is far higher within your own group than with the next group.

If I'm in an 8-way (as I was a lot last year as I was on a team), last thing I want to see is my teammate veering off the line they established... back towards me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

(I'd send two at 45 degrees to jump run, 2 at 90 degrees, and 2 at 135 degrees)

Awesome advise!:ph34r::D:ph34r:

I'd also make sure they follow their Garmin GPS to ensure they follow a positive arc into sunset, unless it was the full moon.

Seriously, a 2 way: you track perpendicular to jumprun.

More than a 2 way: you track away from your formation.
Remster

Your primary responsibility on a track is to separate from your own group. It seems to me that the likelihood of a collision because of inadequate separation is far higher within your own group than with the next group.

If I'm in an 8-way (as I was a lot last year as I was on a team), last thing I want to see is my teammate veering off the line they established... back towards me.

I would agree that seeing a teammate come back toward you would suck, but why not track up jump run a bit, and then veer to the left or right, and, at most, track parallel to you?

ETA:

Your primary responsibility on a track is to separate from your own group

I agree completely. I would only recommend doing what I said if you could do both (track away from your own group AND try to avoid collisions with other groups). But I agree that primarily, you need to get away from your own group, and that collisions with them are more likely.

This is getting a bit off the point of this thread. It is to express stupid things you have done and not get into specifics.

That being said:

I would agree that seeing a teammate come back toward you would suck, but why not track up jump run a bit, and then veer to the left or right, and, at most, track parallel to you?

If you are so good that you can do a 4 or 8way and after all that work remember what the line of flight of the plane was.... You are a better skydiver than me.

After 35 or 50 seconds of working time, I have one real mission and that is to get away from them as fast and as safely as possible and get a landable parachute over my head.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This is getting a bit off the point of this thread. It is to express stupid things you have done and not get into specifics.

On one of my coached jumps, I spiraled my canopy without being fully aware of where others were. Darn near spiraled right into my coach below. Ever since, I'm like an owl up there - totally head-on-a-swivel. That was a very stupid mistake.

jump~46

was at a new DZ with a friend. he introduces me to another guy that would coach me through my first sit-fly. it was novemberish and cold as hell on ground as i prepped my gear i noticed i had forgotten my gloves but had some cheap dollar store knitted gloves. the DZ had gloves but i figured these would do. after a decent sit-fly my adrenaline pumping i pulled and went for my brake toggles and couldn't close my hands around the toggles. once i landed the pain of near frost-burned hands set in. i sat in a warm area with my hands behind my knees the rest of the day.

lesson:
never jump without proper gear never EVER again

jump~36

a friend had been asking me to take him skydiving so i took him to my home DZ i wasn't going to jump because i was feeling kinda sick and had a stuffy nose but my friend wanted me to go up with him for his first tandem, so i figured i didn't feel that bad. i suited up and went up to 13k. i do a diving exit and instantly feel like my head is going to explode. no one ever told me that a a stuffy nose is not good to jump in.

never again will i jump when feeling even remotely sick

If you are so good that you can do a 4 or 8way and after all that work remember what the line of flight of the plane was.... You are a better skydiver than me.

After 35 or 50 seconds of working time, I have one real mission and that is to get away from them as fast and as safely as possible and get a landable parachute over my head.

Apologies for the hijack. I doubt I'm a better skydiver than you, but I do jump at Elsinore. Line of flight of the plane is pretty much always towards the lake or away from the lake, so it's not that hard to remember.

Great thread, glad this got bumped, on to my contribution...

Jump 20ish
Forgot to secure the strap on my Phantom X helmet, was a solo jump so just stayed belly to earth until pull hoping I wasn't about to have a couple hundred bucks fall off my head. Very persistent about my pre-jump gear checks now.

Jump 100ish
Flying around my Sabre 2 170 which I thought I was pretty familiar with. Clear of traffic at 1600 ft with some larger canopies about my level so I dug a toggle to do a 360 and start my pattern, dug a little too much and ran into about 2 line twists at 1550. In hind sight, should have just chopped, way to low to mess with it but was able to clear in five or six seconds and stable again at 1200. Still here, but made me seriously consider similar situations and what types of maneuvers I will do lower to the ground.

Koric101

Jump 100ish
Flying around my Sabre 2 170 which I thought I was pretty familiar with. Clear of traffic at 1600 ft with some larger canopies about my level so I dug a toggle to do a 360 and start my pattern, dug a little too much and ran into about 2 line twists at 1550

Oooh. I did this also, similar jump numbers on a Pilot 188. Scared the crap out of me. Stupid :$

I think there are two lessons: the first one you mentioned (don't dick around below two grand), and also, learn how to turn in a way that won't end in line twists! Technique is definitely a factor.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Koric101

Forgot to secure the strap on my Phantom X helmet, was a solo jump so just stayed belly to earth until pull hoping I wasn't about to have a couple hundred bucks fall off my head.

Did the same once. Spent the whole dive with one hand on top of my head holding my helmet in place so it wouldn't float up and off. Looked funny as hell. Couldn't take my grips in the dive plan. But I saved my helmet, and the expensive audible altimeter inside.

3 attempts to kill myself in one day:
I had around 140 jumps. Early spring. Still a lot of snow here. Former military airbase with a lot of concrete taxiing tracks and a huge 10,000 ft long runway.
1) After uneventful free-fall, canopy ride and landing pattern I was on my final leg. Landing direction was along concrete track. The landing area was covered with soft snow so all of us tried to land closer to that concrete track not to walk in the knee-deep snow. At about 80 ft I understand that I'm heading directly into one of my mates. I see him looking at me but instead of just letting him make a couple of steps aside, I decide to "save" him and make a rather perfect 60 degree flat turn towards that concrete track. So I find myself at about 50 ft flying in half brakes crosswind towards very hard surface.
What should I do?
Have I ever practiced to land that canopy (a 170 sq ft 9-cell) crosswind? - Yes
Have I ever landed from half-brakes? - Yes
But I decide to flare a little bit higher to be able to land before the snowy area ends. I this half of second I assumed that falling into the snow is better than landing on concrete. Maybe. But we all understand what happened - I flared higher and fell on that goddamn concrete surface from about 10 ft just inches from soft and forgiving snow. PLF saved me. I have torn my jumpsuit, scratched my alti and Z1 and bruised both knees.
My fall was so pathetic that a girl who landed next to me thought it was rather my ghost rising towards the skied than me standing up.
2) Later that day. I noted that I had scratched my alti. So I decided to check it and send to the next load with my mate. He reported that it had worked properly during the climb and descend so I calmed down and rushed to the next load. The alti worked well during the climb. Then in the free-fall we were doing a 2-way and we broke-off at around 4500 ft as agreed (I didn't have an audible at the time). On the brake-off I checked my alti and the altitude was correct. I tracked away, checked altitude and deployed normally. Then under the canopy I was busy with some riser turns, flat turns and other exercises and was altitude aware only looking at my alti. I have finished everything at about 1500 ft and decided to waste another 600 ft to start my landing pattern. After floating around for a while I was surprised to find 1500 ft on the alti. At this moment I looked down and understood that it was far from being the truth. Still I had to make my way to the landing area since I was flying above the former bomber fueling station with a web of pipes. I assumed I had enough altitude to make my way back, flew it and landed down-wind in the soft snow ploughing it with my ass.
3) I was (and I think I am) a tough stubborn idiot with some luck. I borrowed an alti from someone, made it back to the plane and triple checked everything: was landing far in the snow not to even have a chance to land on concrete, was controlling altitude visually, was high on the landing spot and.....overshoot it a little bit but this "bit" was enough for me to get too close to the wall which was downwind and was previously used to deflect the exhaust of the bomber engines. So I got into a rotor turbulence just to find myself ploughing the snow one moment after it was time to start the flare.

I have spent almost all my luck that day. But I have traded it for a whole bunch of lessons. Thanks God I walked away.

Had about 700 jumps, and was doing 4-way at an unnamed dropzone jumping another guy's rig. We only got 10k in the Cessna, broke off low, and I couldn't get the pug out. As I'm trying the 3rd time, one of the voices in my head said "Check the ground". A herd of sheep was getting out of the way. Must have been in the saddle under 200'. I can still see that herd of sheep, every time I think about it. Didn't even look for the reserve handle, just shot it as hard as I could, and fortunately, it worked. Everybody thought I died. I was too busy doing something about it to realize how f'ing stupid I was, at that time. Never, ever, again.
We are all engines of karma