Dragpo13

Cross country skydive trip

Hello!

I am considering doing a 2 1/2 week (give or take) long road trip from the east coast (va) to Elsinore and back. The route does not need to be direct or follow the same way back. So I could curve south one way and north the other. I'm looking for dzs to stop at everyday (if possible with the distance) along the way. If anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it! I do not have a set date for this trip yet, depends on my work start date which I get in may. I'll rank and plot all the replies on a map to determine the best way to go.

Thanks!

Any possibility of putting Skydive Chicago on your list?

The place fuggin' rocks.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

With 2 1/2 weeks, it might make more sense to pick a 'halfway' point, like Spaceland (Houston, TX), drive there and jump for a day or two, then truck out to Elisnore. Stay in Elsinore a week, and pick another halfway point for the way back, maybe Mile-Hi (Denver), truck out there and hang out for a day or two, and then go home.

The problem with DZ hopping is that it takes time, and with only 2 1/2 weeks total time to drive from Va to CA and back, you don't have a ton of time. It's 3 or 4 days on the road to drive direct, so that's a week of drive time round trip. If you start adding stops at various DZs, and time to go out of your way to get there, you end up with very little time in Elsinore.

Any reason you're heading to Elsinore? You could do a lot with two weeks if you head down the coast through GA, FL, over to LA and then TX. You could swing up through TN on your way back. With that trip, you could hit 4 or 5 DZs in 2 1/2 weeks.

If it's the summer, you could do a north loop, and hit TN, Il, Oh, Pa, Ny, Ct, NJ, etc.

Like I told you, Junior: Plan your trip around Skydive Lost Prairie's boogie. You can't beat the sights or the vibe. Now, if you're going JUST for jump numbers, you wouldn't want to JUST do LP, as it tends to get windy in the afternoons. For just racking up a bunch of jumps, hit the likes of SDC, Eloy, Elsinore, etc.

Just keep in mind that with big vacation-destination DZs like these come a ton of other folks like you who are unfamiliar with everything local, and a lot of lower-time jumpers go to these spots to do and fly shit they're not ready for, so keep your safety sensor on full tilt at all times and your head on a swivel.

Have a great time. If you do anything stupid, don't tell them who taught you how to skydive or where your home DZ is. ;)

-Lambert-

"It's better to be looked over than overlooked."

Dude! Move it to Europe make it in June and I'll join you! haha

Don't forget that getting to a DZ you'll have to have your gear constantly checked and become familiar with the area before jumping, it'll definitely take some time. I'd say maybe perhaps just go as far as CO? That way you'll be way more relaxed spend a 1-2 days at each dropzone and make it back in time as apposed to simply driving for a full week round trip.

Better be borrowing a prius haha Lemme know what you end up doing
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

FYI, Eloy is very hot in the summer and they tend to stop jumping by 11am due to dust devils (but start early), and are closed Tues & Wed (I believe, or it's Wed & Thurs). However, they are right off the highway so if you were driving by in the morning it would definitely be doable.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"