Kolla

Skydive Expo, DeLand, FL April 3-8th

It's happening again!
The Skydive Expo planning committee has been hard at work for the past few months. We want to invite you to join us in DeLand, Florida April 3rd - 8th, 2012 for the Skydive Expo!
Visit manufacturers of awesome skydiving gear at their booths and hit up seminars by some of the best and brightest minds in skydiving. On top of all that, load organizing and fun jumps by world class skydivers.

Watch the Expo website Expo for updates on vendors, organizers, seminar speakers, hotel deals and all that good stuff.
We will update this thread with more information as it comes. If you are interested in being a vendor, get in touch for more information.

The forums here are a great space to let us know if you have any questions about the event or let us know if you are hoping to get something specific out of it - or you can drop us a line at [email protected].
We are also looking for volunteers to help us running this non-profit event. Word has it that both Skymama and Normiss will be slaving away, so you have a chance to get up and close with both of them :o

Registration will open shortly and look forward to see everyone enjoying the Florida sunshine with us in April :)
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

so you have a chance to get up and close with both of them

But not both of us at the same time, that's icky. :P

I had such a great time at the first Expo, I'm really looking forward to this event. I think I went to 6 seminars; I would have gone to more, but I was slaving away at the other times. :ph34r: The vendor booths are awesome because the event is geared towards regular jumpers, so I didn't feel like an idiot asking questions.

If you want to go to a boogie and actually learn a few things, this is the event for you! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

After reading another forum, I just had a bright idea for a seminar:
"How to operate a Skyvan door". :)

Edit: Actually, in all seriousness, it might be a good seminar to give an overview of of the jump planes normally used and the do's and don't of being in one and exiting from one. Heck, I've only been in a Cessna one time, even I could use a refresher on that one.

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That's not a bad idea.

So - question for you Mama, if you've only been in one Cessna - how is your spotting technique?

I've been on some loads where the lights and/or GPS went out and someone had to spot an Otter.

It's pretty funny to see the fear on people's faces when you ask them if they're going to spot. They suddenly don't want to be any where near that door.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

So - question for you Mama, if you've only been in one Cessna - how is your spotting technique?

Well, being a freeflyer, I'm usually at the back of the plane and can't see exactly what is going on at the door. But, I do take a look when I climb out, I don't just blindly jump. If pressed, I think I could spot well...or good enough. :P But, maybe that would be another good topic for a seminar!

Yeah ..... just busting your chops.

You could teach spotting theory in a seminar but you really have to put your head out the door in order to teach it properly. And it takes more than just a few times to get good at it.

When DC-3s were the popular planes they created a real challenge for spotters.

When you could consistently put everyone on the DZ out of a 3, that's when you knew you could spot. (I didn't just give away my age did I)

When DC-3s were the popular planes they created a real challenge for spotters.

When you could consistently put everyone on the DZ out of a 3, that's when you knew you could spot. (I didn't just give away my age did I)

:D:D:D
Hell, -3 pilots actually took corrections. Try to give corrections to some of today's GPS gurus and you might get dumped out the door on a 90 degree roll.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Great idea SkyMama!

Skydivesg has a good point that nothing beats some hands on experience, as not all doors are the same (even if on the same type of aircraft).
We will ask our organizers to make sure to do a "door briefing" with their groups, and if possible, allow people to observe or assist :)
Blue Skies Magazine

I think you have just clarified our current issue....we're counting on LO's to do proper door briefings.
I'd say there is some issue there - given the recent "drift indicator" released from a Skyvan prior to releasing jumpers.

It would be AWESOME if we could get a simple video brief of various jump ships and the intricacies of the door therein.

"In-plane operations, communication, door opening, separation, and general aircraft fuckery" (Footnote on extra altitude requests should also be considered and encouraged)

Please don't forget that not all Skyvan doors operate the same.

The van from AZ (and many other DZs) uses the handle/latch to release the door from the open position and then uses it again to lock the door closed (prior to take off). And of course it is used to lock the door in the open position prior to jump.

The van from Skydive Chicago uses the handle/latch to lock the door closed but does not use it to latch the door in the open position.

Instead when lifting the door open you simply push up on both sides (all the way to the stops) and the door latches open on it's own.

When you're ready to close the door prior to take off, you simply pull on the red lanyard located in the center of the ceiling just forward of the door and it releases. This set up is very easy to operate.

And then there is the Sherpa that we used at Summerfest. Now that door was a pain in the ass.

is anyone going from Zhills to DeLand on the 2nd or 3rd? also is anyone going from DeLand to Orlando on the 8th? I am trying to go to both flock and dock and the expo but i need a ride

Tony maybe ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

We have just received the word that the Fastest Rigger on the planet (per the PIA reserve packing contest in Reno last February) will be attending the Expo.

All you riggers out there can visit with Master Margaret at the Rigging Innovations booth and get some tips from her on efficiency and cool rigging stuff :)

Blue Skies Magazine

Oooh, I watched that video. She is so impressive! B|

she is very impressive indeed in the record video. Also very impressive to see her at work in a calmer environment, both in packing and repairing. So much precision and neatness. Definitely an example.

With one of my rigger/friend here in Switzerland (who is already one of my examples to follow), we love to get rigs who were packed by Margaret to analyze how it was packed. These packjobs have some magic inside I tell you.

So Kolla, what other great news have you got for us ?
I am getting super excited to visit the Expo, meet new people, meet old friends again.

Did I mention I was super excited ?