dble07

DZ near College station TX

I will be in College Station TX for a wedding 1/6-1/8. Since the weather here in the midwest sucks right now i was hoping to make some jumps while I was in the south. Tried contacting Skydive aggieland but phones are disconnected. Any recommendations on a good dz in that area?? thanks

I will be in College Station TX for a wedding 1/6-1/8. Since the weather here in the midwest sucks right now i was hoping to make some jumps while I was in the south. Tried contacting Skydive aggieland but phones are disconnected. Any recommendations on a good dz in that area?? thanks

There's nothing very close to College Station, but we'll be hopping like mad at Spaceland - about 2 hours south near Houston. Easy drive from College Station. High-speed freeway door to door.

Weather looks good, too!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

If you don't drive out to a DZ (since Aggieland had its last jump November of 2010), there are some neat things to see in the area. Some of the really neat stuff on campus may not be open (like the Corps of Cadets center, which has the largest publicly displayed antique gun collection in Texas), but the Bush Library might be open. It's really neat.

If you want some really authentic and good mexican food, send me a PM. I can send you to a few different places (which depends on how good your spanish is).

Actually, if you want any insider info about the area drop me a PM.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What happened to the Aggieland DZ? That was my home DZ from way back.

AggieDave - If you have a list handy of some good food joints in the Holy City, I'd appreciate a PM! I still get down there occasionally.

Thanks!

There were a handful of factors, but the city and the DZO didn't really see eye-to-eye. Instead of making a big fight, the DZO decided to close and follow a new career.

I'll drop the PM on food choices.

AggieDave - If you have a list handy of some good food joints in the Holy City, I'd appreciate a PM! I still get down there occasionally.

Thanks!

There were a handful of factors, but the city and the DZO didn't really see eye-to-eye. Instead of making a big fight, the DZO decided to close and follow a new career.

That's too bad, they had been around for a long time and had some good history.

Thanks!

That's too bad, they had been around for a long time and had some good history.

I've been able to track jumping on Coulter Field back to the 50's with rumors of jumps being done in the late 40s (returning Airborne troops going to AMC). There is a long history of the TAMU skydiving club getting kicked off Coulter, going to Hearne then returning a few years later. I wouldn't count KCFD out yet, I bet it is only a matter of time until someone is stupid enough...I mean, motivated enough to open another DZ.