chewy496

Best USA DZ for long term visit from UK

Hi,

I'm planning a visit over to the States for around a month, possibly longer, maybe two months.

The purpose of the trip is purely to skydive as much as possible and get more experienced rather than waiting around for weather back home in the UK.

I really would like to be able to stay on-site at a DZ rather than renting a hotel room (and car) for the whole time and was wondering which American DZ has the best facilities for such a trip.

I know that Perris has the iHop, but does anybody have any personal experience for the best place in the USA for a long term visit to get as much jumping in as possible, but staying on-site with pretty decent facilities at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I was in Eloy (Skydive Arizona) about a month ago. I have not visited enough DZs to tell you that this place is the best around, but I'll tell you that it perfectly fits what you are looking for. They have a bunk house that costs $8 per night, The Bent Prop restaurant & bar is on site, and consistent weather. If I were in your shoes, that is where I would go. I was only there for 5 days but there were many international people that were there for a month or so. You would be in good company. Plus they have the wind tunnel on site also ;)

Andy

Eloy is your best bet - just spent 8 weeks there. The landing area is safe (in Fl atm and there is some seriously interesting shit), the manifest girls do an awesome job. Everything is on site and there is just buckets of experience, you could almost learn by osmosis there...

Perris.

if that place is shitty for a day you can always drive over to elsinore.

if both places are shitty, than I guess you can drive to LA and see more bull shit.

Hour away from LA, 2 hours from the beach and mountain to surf and snowboard.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Another vote for Eloy. I live in the UK and have jumped in California, Arizona and Florida and based on your requirements my opinion is Eloy is your best bet. I've made 9 trips there and it is by far my preference if you want to jump hard. You can get a direct flight to Phoenix from Heathrow, there is a friendly affordable shuttle service (Tammy Arrowsmith) - for a small surchare she will stop at Walmart so you can get your supplies en-route to the DZ (bunkhouse has fridge/freezers and a microwave).

And a small tip, if you don't have any go get some earplugs at the tunnel because you could have someone like me sleepin in a bunk near you... :D

Will

PS you will have a great time at most warmer winter US dropzones, don't let us bias you, but once you've decided on Eloy PM me if you want some money saving tips on flights etc.

Another vote for Eloy. I live in the UK and have jumped in California, Arizona and Florida and based on your requirements my opinion is Eloy is your best bet. I've made 9 trips there and it is by far my preference if you want to jump hard. You can get a direct flight to Phoenix from Heathrow, there is a friendly affordable shuttle service (Tammy Arrowsmith) - for a small surchare she will stop at Walmart so you can get your supplies en-route to the DZ (bunkhouse has fridge/freezers and a microwave).

And a small tip, if you don't have any go get some earplugs at the tunnel because you could have someone like me sleepin in a bunk near you... :D

Will

PS you will have a great time at most warmer winter US dropzones, don't let us bias you, but once you've decided on Eloy PM me if you want some money saving tips on flights etc.

Speaking of which, when are we gonna see your ugly mug again?
Remster

PERRIS. Has everything you need for a long stay. Pool, Food, Room, Gear, and Load Organizing with a welcoming atmosphere regardless of experience level. Elsinore is close by as well, only 20 Minutes by car. You get two drop zones for the price of one ticket from Heathrow. Plus it's close to many other activities as well.

Hi,

I'm planning a visit over to the States for around a month, possibly longer, maybe two months.

The purpose of the trip is purely to skydive as much as possible and get more experienced rather than waiting around for weather back home in the UK.

I really would like to be able to stay on-site at a DZ rather than renting a hotel room (and car) for the whole time and was wondering which American DZ has the best facilities for such a trip.

I know that Perris has the iHop, but does anybody have any personal experience for the best place in the USA for a long term visit to get as much jumping in as possible, but staying on-site with pretty decent facilities at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Steve

4 to 8 weeks is a long time. At a big dz that would depend on how much money you had available and how much you intended to jump.

If your intention is to really get into skydiving then I would suggest that somewhere like the Farm in Georgia would be excellent. There is Chutingstar rigging loft on site. You would have enough opportunity to really learn packing and equipment knowledge. Get as many jumps in as you can afford. Free bunk house and great people. I don't know what the visa restrictions are but you could probably end up earning a little packing.

If all you want to do is build jump experience as fast as possible. Then I would suggest doing week long stints at different dz's. It will expose you to more jumpers and environments.

DeLand is nice and a lot closer than AZ or CA. Actually I've heard of it called the Skydiving Capital or Europe.

They got a bunkhouse and plenty of tent space. Also a restaurant and lots of great people.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like Eloy is the best bet then.

I'm going to be going mid April to mid June, money isn't really a problem. I will have enough for 300 jumps.

If the bunkhouse at Eloy is an option for long periods like the guy who stayed there for a similar length, then I guess that'll be where I end up going!

Thank you!

It's just a thought but I think something fun to do if I were in your shoes would to be book an inbound flight into LAX, and a return flight out of MCO, rent a small car, or even buy a cheap vehicle on craigslist and spend that time Traveling the I-10 corridor. There are a large number of great DZ'z with cheap accommodations along that route. Some that come to mind....

Elsinore, (CA)
Perris, (CA)
San Diego, (CA)
Eloy, (AZ)
Spaceland, (TX)
Gold Coast, (MS)
ZHills, (FL)
Sebastian, (FL)
ect.....

Note I've only listed places I've visited and enjoyed. There are several others on that route as well.... I think THAT would be an excellent use of the time frame you listed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's just a thought but I think something fun to do if I were in your shoes would to be book an inbound flight into LAX, and a return flight out of MCO, rent a small car, or even buy a cheap vehicle on craigslist and spend that time Traveling the I-10 corridor. There are a large number of great DZ'z with cheap accommodations along that route. Some that come to mind....

Elsinore, (CA)
Perris, (CA)
San Diego, (CA)
Eloy, (AZ)
Spaceland, (TX)
Gold Coast, (MS)
ZHills, (FL)
Sebastian, (FL)
ect.....

Note I've only listed places I've visited and enjoyed. There are several others on that route as well.... I think THAT would be an excellent use of the time frame you listed.

I completely agree. Meeting new people and experiencing different DZ's is a blast.

From one UK jumper to another --- Eloy hands down. . I love Perris and Elsinore but you will jump your pants off in Arizona. If your over there for a while. why not fly to L.A drive to Perris and Elsinore and then onto Eloy and decide for your self. Eloy is a 7hrs +/- road trip from Perris. ;)