FreeflyIndian

Boogie Circuit? Dates and boogies for a cycle trip across the US

Hey guys

Hope I'm putting this in the right forum. I really need some help here. I'm looking into the possibility of cycling across the US but with the intention of visiting as many boogies along the way. Which one's and route – I'm not sure. Hence I seek the community's assistance with this (also I'm currently cycling across Africa at the moment – charity fund raiser which I hope to continue across the US in 2012 – internet connections are really shit here and so doing even simple desktop research is a real challenge).

Here's what I'm thinking, come to the US at the start of the season (March/April?) and make why across for 6 months (assuming the powers that be grant me a visa for this long). Would really appreciate feedback/ideas on boogies to visit and route you might recommend.

If anyone's interested, the trip I'm currently busy with is cycling from Cape Town to Cairo. You can visit www.siyashova.com to find out more. Thus far I've done 8500km's of cycling, but only one jump which was over Malawi's International Airport in Lilongwe (cool when you realist that its the capital city!). What I miss most is the skydiving hence the idea to combine the two for a really good cause :-)

Blue Skies and Stay Safe
Ria Moothilal
Africa's Fastest Indian ;-)

Well, depends on how far you plan to ride. If you go through Eloy, AZ, hit it early. That desert gets pretty damn hot in the summer.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

My thoughts are that you should start in Florida at that time of year. My reasons:
The temperatures are the best of the year.
It's not the rainy season.
It's when the "season" starts winding down here as the northern dz's open up.
You could hit a lot of dropzones very easily.

I was going to suggest that you start with Zhills at their Easter Boogie and work up the state, but then I remembered that the Skydive Expo will be in Deland April 3-8. I think that's an impressive event for you to hit, but I don't know what your interests are.

Anyway, if you come to FL, you can hit Zhills, Sebastian, Lake Wales, Deland, and Palatka and then work your way up the east coast, and then go west. I'd say you'd probably want to be in Chicago for Summerfest and Lost Prarie for their event later in the summer and then maybe end up in CA or AZ.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

be in Chicago for Summerfest and Lost Prarie for their event later in the summer and then maybe end up in CA or AZ.

I was going to suggest both of those, especially since next year they're not overlapping, but getting from one to another in time on a bike might be a challenge. Might need to hitch a ride with someone to cover the 1700+ miles between the two dropzones in order to hit both of them. (Note I'm assuming that the OP means bicycle when he says "cycle.")
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was too lazy to check the dates. :ph34r: Good idea though!

I only know the dates because LP is finally the following week after Summerfest rather than the same week so that people can attend both if they can get enough time off. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm seconding Skymama's suggestion of starting in Florida. She's right about the seasons. Plus right at that time there are a lot of boogies in FL. Sebastian has a ton of boogies in March. There might maybe be Good Vibes at the Farm. but you should hit them up boogie or no if you're going North. I hear Orange is also a good place to go boogie or no. Same with the Ranch. I realize these aren't technically boogies, but you might need weekends in between for filler ;)

There's a Calendar at the top of the page. You can also do a search of posts from last year in this forum to see what was going on durning certain months. Most boogies are annual events. Then I bet an internet search will help you find the 2012 dates.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is a bicycle. Anyone know if there's a source online that lists boogies/dates? Would help with the planning

Thanks for the info thus far. Also had thoughts of starting in Florida and working my across/somewhere.

Shot
Ria

Hey Ria

I live in Arizona, and I cycle a bit (not as much as you! lol.. but still 4000 miles / year).

If you start in March-ish on the East coast, and want to end up in CA in 6 months-ish, that will make you go through AZ in August if you stay south (which is not very smart: very hot, and not a lot of towns to stop in). If I were you, I'd stay away from the South West from the start of June till early September.

Since you will be in the US in summer, maybe you want to end in in Washington State in Sept. This will take aim you more towards the West and mid west during summer, where the bulk of the boogies are centered: Couch Freaks; Redemption; Summerfest; Lost Prairie...

I realize you want to plan as far forward as possible, but most DZ dont! Most of these boogies wont have their dates posted until the the winter or spring.

Your other option is to start from the West in March; do CA and AZ before the big heat, and then head North for the same boogies (tho you may be too early for them) and end up on the East Coast for Aug/Sept (but then the Hurricanes show up in FL...)
Remster

and end up on the East Coast for Aug/Sept (but then the Hurricanes show up in FL...)

Hurricane season is June-November. As we saw earlier this year, they can hit anywhere on the East Coast, even NYC!

July through September are miserable in FL and the dropzones are pretty quiet as compared to the cooler months. I wouldn't recommend anyone planning jumping trips here during those months.