mirage62

Would you like to do your FIRST 100 way?

Hey,
I’m trying to gauge the desire for an event that I have been kicking around for some time. Someone asked me after organizing the Georgia 66 record what I enjoyed the most and after thinking about it I decided it was the fact that so many people were on the jump that had never done a jump that big – and I’d like to do it again but BIGGER.

1. Do you believe you have the skills to do a SAFE and SUCCESSFUL 100 way?

2. Have you NEVER done one?

3. Would you be willing to pay $10 a DAY at your local dz to be looked at for a slot? (That’s right $10 whole dollars and for that you would get organized and videoed for the day and debriefed) If selected would you be willing to come back to your local dz for at least two others days for practice? Another $10 each time ($30)

4. When you came to the Florida dz would you be willing to pay ANOTHER WHOLE $10 for the event? ($40)

This event is aimed at jumpers who have the skill and desire to do a safe and successful 100. Who don’t want to pay a fortune in travel cost or registration fees. It most likely won’t help you get on either of the world record teams. This is strictly an event to put something back into the sport of big way and to help capable people get there first 100 in there book. The jump tickets would be at whatever the drop zone charges and would be paid to the drop zone NOT the event.

Each selected drop zone will have a local highly experienced plane captain to jump with you and make the selection.

Currently Deland and Skydive the Farm have been selected as locations, three other drop zones with Otters will be added. The dates would be winter of next year.

Please feel free to comment here about any thoughts you have, or PM me.

CCH (Chief cat herder)
Fortson Rumble
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I believe the event would be about a year. Giving us time to have the camps and select a strong team.

Let me address a few PM comments.

Safety – That would be rule one. FWIW the people that are normally the hardest to keep straight are the jumpers with lots of experience rather than limited experience. These once told and understanding generally try their best to “behave”

Skill level- Let me be clear. While my desire is to have as many first time 100 way jumpers as possible this WILL NOT be “200 jumps and one 20 way attempt” jumpers. Does that mean that there won’t be any low time jumpers on it? No. But again these are the ones that work the hardest to do the job right.

My ability to put this together or “Who are you”– (My favorite) Probably the best real answer here is I’m the guy that is willing to do it and not try to make a lot of money. Nothing wrong with making money but I do other things for that. The largest I have organized with great plane captains was a 66 way. I’ve been doing big ways for about 7 years, did the 400 way….have around 3,000 jumps.

The plane captains will have more experience than me, and easily be “better” than me. They will be the magic.

We have about 30 people who have expressed firm interest. If you are please PM and provide a e-mail address.
Be safe.

My ability to put this together or “Who are you

I've seen you herd the sheep, you seem to do a good job. I don't hear a lot of cussing about you behind your back...well, at least not about your organizing abilities. ;)

I'll give you the Skymama Seal of Approval (whatever that's worth! :P)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'll give you the Skymama Seal of Approval (whatever that's worth! )

Within moments of the above endorsement the event had thousands of replies and we are in danger of overwhelming the dz.com servers. :P

Truth is I am ALWAYS on my best behavior around skymama cause I know she throw some mean smack down on people

Sounds great! I already have a few successful 100 ways in my book, however, none since 1999. I am no longer big-way current, but if I can help in other ways, let me know. I'm only an hour and a half away from The Farm. :)
FWIW, it will not be the first 100 way attempts in Georgia. We did the 64 way in May 1997, then tried 80 ways in October that year which were rained out, then got a few 100 way attempts off the ground in May 1998. All at Skydive Monroe.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'll give you the Skymama Seal of Approval (whatever that's worth! )

Within moments of the above endorsement the event had thousands of replies and we are in danger of overwhelming the dz.com servers. :P

Truth is I am ALWAYS on my best behavior around skymama cause I know she throw some mean smack down on people

Dude, you just had to have been there when she did the smack down on me. "You're Billy? Fuck you Billy!"

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

FWIW, it will not be the first 100 way attempts in Georgia.

The 100 way will be held in Deland, but the FARM will host one of the teams. That team will be captain by Jack Donovan

We did the 64 way in May 1997, then tried 80 ways in October that year which were rained out, then got a few 100 way attempts off the ground in May 1998. All at Skydive Monroe.

These events actually got me started on big ways. Watched from the ground, scared the shit out of me!!

Let me just hop in for a second and say that Fortson is a solid organizer. Able to bring together elite plane captains and develop young talent where he finds it.

He's definitely a top tier cat herder. If you are seriously interested in big way, this is a solid opportunity. Get in on the camps and see where you stand.

I'm a betting man, and I'm betting he'll pull this off.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I believe the event would be about a year. Giving us time to have the camps and select a strong team.

Let me address a few PM comments.

Safety – That would be rule one. FWIW the people that are normally the hardest to keep straight are the jumpers with lots of experience rather than limited experience. These once told and understanding generally try their best to “behave”

Skill level- Let me be clear. While my desire is to have as many first time 100 way jumpers as possible this WILL NOT be “200 jumps and one 20 way attempt” jumpers. Does that mean that there won’t be any low time jumpers on it? No. But again these are the ones that work the hardest to do the job right.

My ability to put this together or “Who are you”– (My favorite) Probably the best real answer here is I’m the guy that is willing to do it and not try to make a lot of money. Nothing wrong with making money but I do other things for that. The largest I have organized with great plane captains was a 66 way. I’ve been doing big ways for about 7 years, did the 400 way….have around 3,000 jumps.

The plane captains will have more experience than me, and easily be “better” than me. They will be the magic.

We have about 30 people who have expressed firm interest. If you are please PM and provide a e-mail address.
Be safe.

For those that have the arrogance to ask "who are you" let them be some that stay home.

I contacted Fortson to do the 66ways at the St.Patricks boogie because I knew he would do it right. Safety first. He did that and included as many Georgia jumpers as put in effort to attend. Had it not been for a family emergency in 2010 I think they would have done it then.

Having said that, I'll supply 3 Otters in Fitzgerald in 2013. You bring the other 2.:D

For those that have the arrogance to ask "who are you" let them be some that stay home.

Oh for christ sake... Depending how it's asked, it's a perfectly valid question. If I'm to start investing time and energy into something, I want to know who the person setting things up is.

Asking:

can you tell me more about your BW background and experience?

vs

Who the hell do you think you are?

Get the sand out of your vajayjay, Chris...:P;)

And Forstson: good on you for getting this organized. :)
Remster

Thanks for the kind words all. I will post a list of the dropzones in Dec. We have three of the dropzones selected with plane captains.

For the people that are interested and PMing me. Please add your number of jumps, largest formation, and jumps in the last 12 months. You will get a reply!

Be safe

fr

Oh for christ sake... Depending how it's asked, it's a perfectly valid question. If I'm to start investing time and energy into something, I want to know who the person setting things up is.

Asking:

can you tell me more about your BW background and experience?

vs

Who the hell do you think you are?

Get the sand out of your vajayjay, Chris...:P;)

And Forstson: good on you for getting this organized. :)

I'll stand by my statement. The ones that feel the need to ask can leave a space for someone happy to have a slot.

Please keep in mind this is only my opinion. This is not my gig and I have nothing to do with it unless he takes me up on my offer, which I don't think he will cause he knows what an asshole I am.

Hey gang,

Update on the 100 way event. We've added two more drop zones to the list.

Skydive Chicago
Raeford Parachute center
Deland
Skydive the Farm

We have one more dz to select.

If you are interested in attending, please send me your full name, e-mail address, jump history and of the four listed dz's which one would be your best to attend.

The dz's are supporting this idea and it seems that we have more than enough interest to put a very strong team together.

Be safe

CCH Fortson

Mark is correct on that point, a completion never hurts.:)
When I started this I wanted to make sure there was interest in this idea. As of today we have close to 50 on the list. Please spread the word, feel free to contact myself here of at my email address. I feel that there is plenty of interest!

Below are the captains locations and email address, if you at one of these dz be sure to ask them anything you'd like.

Contact TJ Hines
[email protected]

Skydive the Farm (Ga.)
Contact Jack Donovan
[email protected]

Skydive Deland (Fl)
Contact Hal Spence
[email protected]

Raeford Parachute Center (N.C.)
Contact Louis French
[email protected]

Fortson Rumble (CCH)
[email protected]

More details later.

Be safe.

As opposed to the arrogance of telling people not to ask a valid question?

Asking a guy that you know nothing about for some of his history is a perfectly valid question.

For example..... If I tried to arrange a boogie out of thin air, my lack of exp would be a hindrance. You however would be qualified and have the TRACK RECORD of pulling it off. Same thing with a 4 or 8 way team... I'd bet that I could build one easier than you could based on a proven track record.

So, asking a person who they are is a VALID question before someone gets excited about a project.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'd love to get in on this, but I don't think I could commit. I have a problem with commitment.:P

I'll be in school in Phoenix next year, so I don't expect to have a lot of time to vacation.:(

It's bad enough I damn near missed fitz last year, let alone missed out on the record.:(

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

So, asking a person who they are is a VALID question before someone gets excited about a project.

LOL, well not sure if I'm qualified of not. :P

I am certain that my plane captains have a very good name in the big way world and I would guess between us we have over 1,000 +100 way jumps. Everyone one of us regularly organizes events - not 100 ways though. I guess there are about 8 people that could say they regularly do that.

We've all been jumping for +10 years...

Is it a legitmate questions? Sure. Is this group of organizers "capable" of doing this? Without a doubt. If there is a weak link, it isn't the group of captains.

So far +50 people seem to think it might be a good bet, but hell they've jump with us and may just be being nice.

And all I can do is promise to do my best. ;)

CCH Fortson (References available upon request)

LOL, well not sure if I'm qualified of not.

Those that know you (even if just from scuttlebutt), think you are. But not everyone knows you.

I am certain that my plane captains have a very good name in the big way world

Yes, but wasn't this aimed at people who are not in that world and therefore maybe not know who is who?

Is it a legitmate questions? Sure. Is this group of organizers "capable" of doing this? Without a doubt. If there is a weak link, it isn't the group of captains.

I don't dispute your ability.... I just think that someone who does not know you or is not in the circle asking for more information should be bashed for asking a simple and relevant question.

I think you will pull it off, but that is only because I know of you and what you have done.

I think Spence will pull off his boogie, but only because I know of him doing it before.

But I don't see asking for qualifications as a ridiculous question worthy of being bashed.

Look, I think it is a GREAT idea. I think you have the skills to organize it, and the people to pull it off and I support the effort. I just think that bashing a person who asks a question will scare off the EXACT people you are trying to do this for.

Attitudes like that are the reason I have not done a big way since a 100 way in 1997.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Other than being on here I don't know anyone other than some I jumped with when I started in Miami. So I would see asking as a valid question. It's kinda like asking those who want to participate what their background and experience is.

I'd be interested in something like this but I don't know where I'll be living or working in a year which makes it hard to commit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

As opposed to the arrogance of telling people not to ask a valid question?

Asking a guy that you know nothing about for some of his history is a perfectly valid question.

For example..... If I tried to arrange a boogie out of thin air, my lack of exp would be a hindrance. You however would be qualified and have the TRACK RECORD of pulling it off. Same thing with a 4 or 8 way team... I'd bet that I could build one easier than you could based on a proven track record.

My point was missed completely. That point was that anyone who felt the need to ask said question is looking to be talked into an event while others appreciate the opportunity that is be offered to them at what I'm sure, knowing Fortson, will be a more than fair investment.

My point was missed completely. That point was that anyone who felt the need to ask said question is looking to be talked into an event while others appreciate the opportunity that is be offered to them at what I'm sure, knowing Fortson, will be a more than fair investment.

"For those that have the arrogance to ask "who are you" let them be some that stay home"

"I'll stand by my statement. The ones that feel the need to ask can leave a space for someone happy to have a slot."

If you say so.....