TKoontz

Questions about Skydive Santa Barbara

I'm moving down to Camarillo this summer to continue on with school and I was looking for close DZs. Only ones within 100 miles are Taft, my home DZ and SB. I had heard an up jumper complaining that santa barabara is a tandem farm and isn't particularly accomodating to fun jumpers and such. Is there any validity to this? Are they pretty friendly and helpful for newer jumpers such as myself?
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

I went there a couple years ago to do a tandem (this is before I did my AFF, so I didn't know much about skydiving). But, looking back, it definitely seems like a tandem farm. I was there on a weekend with my girlfriend and we were the only two people there. Total time between showing up and landing was about 30 minutes.

I didn't see one funjumper there, and like I said, I was there on a summer weekend. Maybe it was a weird day and I am wrong, who knows. I would just call and ask.

Thats my home DZ, and they definitely cater more to Tandems. It just depends on when you go, the other weekend there was enough fun jumpers to do fun jump only loads, and there are times when you will be the only fun jumper there. I have been to Taft, and if that is where you normally jump I think you will like it. I have the same number of jumps as you, and actually prefer a smaller DZ, seems like the people are nicer and more willing to help. I went down to Perris soon after AFF and everyone seemed to be too "Big Time" to help me and my buddy out. I try and get up there about once a week, PM me if you want and I'll go up with you and introduce you to some of the people.

That's good to hear there are funjumpers there. Definitely a cool DZ. My only warning, this DZ is pretty damn far from Camarillo. I left from Santa Barbara when I went and it took me an hour if i recall, so from Camarillo it will be a good drive. But whatever, it's worth it right?

Santa Barbara was my home dz until I moved a few months ago. I showed up there shortly after finishing AFF and they were very helpful in my progression. There are a lot of tandems, but most of the time you can find some fun jumpers to jump with. The people there are great and you will make a lot of great friends. Plus the view is incredible. The drive is a bit long, but it's scenic. It is definitely worth checking out.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery