Bushmasta

Boogies

I'm relatively new to the sport. I have a B license w/ 60 jumps. I see boogies advertised in USPA mag, but the small prints reads must have D license on some. Does this mean new jumpers are not welcome? Or they can't jump the different planes i.e. c-130, helicopeters, and hot ballons? Does USPA require that we have additional training to jump these platforms. The boogies sound fun and I would love to attend one, but don't want to be shunned for only showing up w/ a B license and either would my friend, who just got his A license.

Most boogies welcome all licensed skydivers. That being said I think the WFFC requires a B. The ones that require a D usually have very small tight landing area's which is why they require the D license. You should be able to attend most any you wish and jump most any aircraft they have available.

Best thing to do is to email or call the boogie organizer and ask them if you are allowed with your experience.

From what I have seen (internet, and posts, never been in a boogie) is that they accomodate newbies with some coaches and make them land in the newbies section. Take this last paragraph with a grain of salt.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I would you recommend you start with a small local boogie at a familiar DZ. Work your way up to the big ones slowly. A national can really be intimidating and dangerous without prior experience.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

The reason they impose the licences is because there is something they feel low time jumpers might have an issue with and therefor don't want to decrease the jumpers safety. For example... On hot air balloons you literly pick your landing area as you are standing on the edge of the basket. I shot for side yards that were no more then 50 yards long 20 a cross and surrounded by obsticals like power lines. I knew I coulds land there with no problem, but could some one with 25 jumps? I doubt it unless they are WAY ahead of the curve. Aother example is the Island boogies require a C or D license most times. The reason is you are surounded byt water the entire time and will possibly have to land in it at some point on a bad spot/ plane emergency over the water. At the B level you have the water training, but at C you have more experience landing and can land in smaller landing areas like the beach.

WFFC has a seperate area for the new jumpers with their coach, CRW jumpers and anyone that wants to pull high to open and land at. The main landing area got hairy at times for most experienced jumpers. And I could always tell the freshly B licenced jumpers under canopy beacuse they were setting up patterns and finals different then 95% of the people there. The experienced jumpers had no problem with someone 40 feet off to one side.. the new jumpers would turn away then back to their pattern almost every time. (Just my observations) And tge jumpers in both cases were right to do what they did for their experience levels.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

"The experienced jumpers had no problem with someone 40 feet off to one side.. the new jumpers would turn away then back to their pattern almost every time."

I will admit that is what i would probably do. I am all for safety, but some jumpers at DZ are stand offish to new jumpers. We can't get any better w/out help. Some of the experienced jumpers act as if they been jumping like a pro from the begining. For the sport to grow, I think a more open attitude is needed.

I have noticed the big difference between a small DZ vs a large one. At my local DZ b/f it close, experienced jumpers were always willing to jump w/ you and offer constructive criticism. Bascially as long as everyone was safe and landed ok. Bigger ones are sometimes appear to give off the vibe of how dare you show up w/ only a A/B license. I'm still very new, but this has been my experience. I've only jumped two places Yuma and Eloy, though so I may be off. My last time at Eloy was actually very fun and a lot of helpful people. I'm jurious curious about these boogies.

Flat turning is a VERY important skill to have, it actually saved me at Rantoul this year.
Practice this up high, with someone under canopy close to your alti if you can, so it's easier to tell how much altitude you're losing.
A flat turn is a turn while in Brakes.. exaclty how much you should use is dependent on your canopy and loading, but it is a pretty fair amount of brakes.. the manuever keeps the nose of the canopy from diving forward and losing tons of altitude, hence the name "flat".
You put the canopy in brakes, I usually use a bit over half brakes, and let the toggle UP on the opposite side of where you want to go (not the entire way tho).. you can give the direction you want to go a touch of down toggle, but not much. The idea is to keep the canopy in brakes on both sides during the turn.

If you practice this, when things hit the fan, you're more likely to avoid a panic turn straight into the ground. I got cut off waaaaaaay low on a base leg I had let get too low to begin with b/c of the other canopy that cut me off, and had to do a 180 crosswind when I ran out of time (the other option was to land on the spectators).. I didn't have time to flare when I was out of the turn.. If I hadn't been in brakes, I would've gotten an express ticket into town at best.
Blue Skies !

Bryan (venturing out of lurkerdom)
PS I really hope this place doesn't end up like rec.