TheRocketeer

Best Florida DZ to call home?

First, a little background info. I made just over 50 jumps the summer after my freshman year of college. The closest DZ to my school was 2 1/2 hours away and between school and part time jobs I never had the time to continue with the sport.

I just graduated and the company I have a job with has some flexibility of where I can work.

I've narrowed it down to places where a DZ is close by. The DZs are:

Z-hills
Deland
Sebastian
Air Adventures in Clewiston

Z-hills and Deland are my first two choices but they also have the longest commute. I'm estimating a little over an hour.

Sebastian and Air Adventures would both be within 30 min

My work schedule varies so a DZ that is open and putting up loads throughout the week is important to me.

Obviously, it would be the most beneficial to check out each DZ, but that won't be possible because I'm transferring and I won't have time off to fly down. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. PM's also!

Thanks!

Sebastian 30 mins away? That's where I'd be... but I jump down in Z-Hills... both great DZ's, can't go wrong with either!

(can't speak for the other two)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You might want to look into the other factors surrounding picking a location besides the local DZ. If you're going to be in Florida, you're going to be right in the middle of a ton of DZs and will have no shortage of places to jump.

You're talking about some drasticaly different metro areas, between Tampa, Daytona, Miami, etc., maybe figure out which one works for you, and just live with the nearby DZ.

Let's face it, you might hate the DZ that the next guy loves, but you just took a job and moved in 20 min away. Next thing you know, you're driving 3hrs every weekend to a DZ you actually like. You might end up hating the city as well as the DZ, and now your whole life sucks.

Pick a city that seems to fit you and offers you the best position with your company. Spend some time and visit all the DZs, and see what works for you. If you really lock onto one, maybe you can get a transfer to a town closer to that DZ.

You raise a very good point Dave. The job that is bringing me to Florida isn't a job that I want to make a career out of. It's a job that allows some flexibility in several aspects that are important to me right now. Location being one of them. Most likely I will go back for grad school in a couple of years, but for right now I want skydiving to be able to be a big part of my life.

I know I will receive a lot of different answers from a lot of different people. Many of them might be along the lines of, "I jump at DZ x and it's the best DZ anywhere." I appreciate any and all responses!

What I'm looking for are the reasons someone likes or dislikes one DZ over another. I will use any opinions I get to help me make a decision on where to go. It won't be the only consideration though and my decision won't be based strictly on which DZ I believe will be the best for me. It's all just part of the decision making process.

I will also appreciate any opinions on the areas of Tampa, Orlando, Daytona and Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach.

Thanks!

I currently jump @ Zhills and love it. Great place and fun jumpers. Pretty good weather most of the time and stay jumping till sunset. Always fun people to hang out with after hours too.

I also love sebastian. It's one of my favorite DZ's but they get weathered out a LOT because of winds. I don't think I've ever been there without experiencing at least one wind hold. But the people and the parties rock.

I like Deland, but its not my favorite place. Some of my favorite people jump there. But it seems to be more geared towards team training than fun jumpers. I've had to scrounge for people to jump with when there was an hour and a half till sunset b/c everybody had started drinking early.

Haven't jumped @ Clewiston yet but I hear good things for the most part.

REALLY???? i guess you havent looked at the geographics of florida then, because clewiston and sebastian are about 3 hours away from each other. i dont know how you could be 1/2 hr away from both? im a florida jumper and i travel to all of the dzs mentioned, except deland. sebastian zhills clewiston you really cant go wrong at any of them. where in florida are you gonna be staying?
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

As people have already said, everyone will have favorites for different reasons. I have not jumped at all the DZ's in Florida, but of the ones I have my home away from home is Palatka. Can't say enough good things about the place, the vibe, the people, and the DZO, Art, is one of the best all around and genuine guys I know.

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

I drive 1.5 hrs to Z-Hills and enjoy myself each and every time. I'm closer to Deland and about 1.5 hrs from Sebastian (jumped there once) but keep finding myself going to Z-Hills. Great bunch of folks and never a lack of people to jump with. Give 'em all a try and decide for yourself though. Hell it's Florida... ya' can't lose no matter which way you go.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

REALLY???? i guess you havent looked at the geographics of florida then, because clewiston and sebastian are about 3 hours away from each other.

They wouldn't be 30 minutes from the same place. I have several options of where to live, one of which would be within 30 minutes of Sebastian and another which would be within 30 minutes of Clewiston. Some other options in other places. Closer to Z-hills and Deland.

It depends upon what YOU want to do! What type of skydiving are you into? How many jumps? Fun jumps? Team work? Tunnel ?

Got to answer a few questions first...

I have just over 50 jumps, but they were all 4 years ago.

I'm looking to make fun jumps and work on canopy control in the short term. D license and some ratings a little longer term.

Team work, I'm not sure. I was jumping at a small DZ in PA and there weren't any teams there. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it but it's not what I'm going in looking for.

Tunnel, I wouldn't mind spending some time in a tunnel but I would rather spend the majority of my time and money in the air.

Thanks!

dont underestimate the value of a few mins in the tunnel, youd be surprised at what skills you think you have down, but when you start bouncing off the glass in the tunnel, you realize how much tweaking you have to do :)

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Plus the tunnel in Orlando is one of the least expensive so if you figure out cost per minute of freefall time the tunnel is a much better value. Plus you get immediate feedback on your flying and can practice what you're just fixed without having to wait 20 mins for the next load to go up. The tunnel is also very good if you want to get started in free flying.

Only one answer - Z-Hills!

Just because it is my home DZ has nothing to do with my answer.... There are coaches, great people to skydive with most of the time and fun in the evening, if you are into that and a tunnel 1 hour away. Nothing wrong with the other DZs and they will be fun to visit too.
Dano

Frankly..like some one said already is a personnal choice. Fo0r me is Sebastian the reason is either cheap of free to stay there wheteher is tent or the team rooms. I have my trailer parked permanently there anyway! Great views of the intra costal It dont matter how many jumps you make the view is breath taking everytime. Great people there is also great people in every DZ I been to but I have roots there I guess! and if weather craps out there are other things to do, they just open up a kitesurfing school, you can go Kayaking the rstaurants by the Inlet are great. What can I say is home
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

As people have already said, everyone will have favorites for different reasons. I have not jumped at all the DZ's in Florida, but of the ones I have my home away from home is Palatka. Can't say enough good things about the place, the vibe, the people, and the DZO, Art, is one of the best all around and genuine guys I know.

I'll second that on Palatka. I didn't mention it in my original post because he didnt ask about it. But Palatka is my original home & will always be home. AMAZING people there. Art is one hell of a DZO and a great guy. It's not in a centralized location though unless you want to live in Jax. Then its only about 45 minutes away. If Jax is an option, Palatka should be on your list of considerations too.

Deland has been my home dz for 10 years and I think it's great. I like being around so many people who are world champions and who work in the industry. You can soak up a lot of information from these pros just by hanging around for a beer at the end of the day. Deland slows down a little earlier in the evening than a lot of dz's, this is true. But, I've always found the locals to be friendly, nice and fun.

I think this thread just goes to show that all of the dz's you mentioned in FL are good, it just depends on what you're looking for. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have for 26 years been going to Z-Hills & love it. T.K. is fantastic and this DZ has a really great atmosphere.
Contacted Delan & drove to Florida 2 winters ago (from Canada) with the understanding I was going to do a few (Sigma)Tandems for them (no charge to them) but just to keep my currency up. Got to the DZ by 8:30 as discussed & waited until noon to speak to someone. One other TM came up to talk to me, but the rest didn't even give me so much as a nod. Long story short, drove all the way from Florida to be treated like crap by Delan. Perhaps I don't look like a Tandem Master Examiner as I am female & 125 lbs, but that is no reason to treat me like they did. I was disappointed & will never grace Delan DZ again.
Went to Palatka & was never treated better. Art & his group were fantastic to me & I can't say enough good things about them. It is a small DZ who will be growing I'm sure as they treat their customers right.
Love Z-Hills, but want to give credit where credit is due, try Palatka ~ they are awesome there!!!

I started skydiving in Florida and went to all of the dropzones! It was hard to commit to just one, so I didn't, and had a great time going to all of them!

Z-hills- Great people, best firepit, and really excelled in RW there
Deland- Fantastic people, great hang out spot, and was still able to do fun jumps there
Sebastian- Scenic, lots of fantastic jumpers, a bit slow in the summer, and the winds do kick up during the day
Palatka- Great family feel, lots of outs, fun place to jump
Clewiston- Didn't make it there much, but did meet some friendly people there whenever I did go.

Have fun!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

All of the DZs I've been to in Florida are nice.

I live in Sebastian from November to mid-May and LOVE IT! Its a great dropzone to call home! They have a great laid-back vibe, great staff, beautiful view, well-maintained turbine aircraft, fun events, freefliers, belly fliers, wingsuiters, CRW.

If you end up at Sebastian, come jump with me next fall!

-JaNette
www.rhythmskydiving.com