unlucky1

Colorado skydiving???

Heading to Colorado next week (for 1 week)... was looking for a good place to jump? I see alot of reviews saying that Mile-Hi has turned into a tandem factory with LONG wait times to get some air. Other DZ's seem like mostly student/Tandem type places too. I just want to make a half dozen jumps or so, but don't want to spend 2 days trying to make them. Anybody been to Skydive Empire? How is that as far as a DZ goes? Good vibes? lots of funjumpers? Anything open on the weekdays? I will mainly be visiting my sis in Colo Springs, but i would be willing to travel a coupla hours to find some decent jumping. Thanks. Johnny

Do you HAVE to choose 1 DZ?
I went to CO for 4 days and hit 3 DZs and the tunnel.

edit: and about the altitude, my DZ is also at sea level. I just took it slow and made my turns a bit higher than normal.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I loved Mile-Hi. The people were some of the friendliest I've ever met and I didn't wait at all to get on the plane, though I was there in November... I was there when I had about 80 jumps, I didn't upsize my canopy but was told to expect to be coming in faster, which I noticed I was. I made my turns slowly and a little higher than I was used to and I was fine. I hope to get back out there asap! Good luck and have fun!

Mile-Hi is my home dz. We do put up a lot of tandems but we also have an Otter that is dedicated to fun jumpers when we are busy. There is actually little wait time when we have both the King Air and the Otter flying. You shouldn't have any problem finding people to jump with while your there. The LONG wait time rumor isn't true, unless.... it happens to be an unusually busy weekend with fun jumpers, Air Force teams, and big-way groups practicing all in the same day.

Not sure of your experience level or or preferred discipline but I'd be happy to do some jumps with you. People are also putting together larger group jumps quite frequently, tracking, speed stars, and hybrids etc...

As for the altitude, you will most definitely notice an increase in canopy speed. As long as you are aware and start off a bit more conservative you should be fine. Talk to one of the instructors once you get there or whoever give you your debriefing.

I haven't been to Empire yet but have heard some good things. If you can only hit one dz go to Mile-Hi. Empire is much slower and smaller dz and you may not get many jumps pending the number of people there.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Thanks everybody for the replies... I'll be hitting Empire on Sunday, and then Mile-Hi on Monday, and the following Saturday... I definitely will hit you up for a fun jump with me ! I do a little RW, but mostly sitflying, hybrids, etc... I'm not too much into turning points. I just like to have a good time without worrying about missing my slot..haha... see you soon. Thanks again.
Johnny