jrjny

Cheapest lodging at Major DZ's

u can bring a small tent--virtually all dz's have restrooms and showers available 24 hrs and may also have power hookups--this is how u spend NO money on lodging and you're already at the dz--there are usually several people doing this at all times so u have new people to meet--B|

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

Skyrider Inn, while fairly nice (I hear) is far from cheap lodging. You want cheap lodgin at Eloy, bring a tent, or stay in the bunkhouse or rent a team room, both of which will get you a bed indoors at a much cheaper rate than the Skyrider.

As for ZHills, there's also camping, and there are some trailer rentals on the DZ (though they fill up quickly). The cheapest hotel seems to be the Microtel Inn in Zephyrhills.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Call any major DZ you're considering visiting and ask. Most have camping or bunkhouses for free or almost free. They'll also know if any local jumpers are renting rooms (or beds) to visiting jumpers. You can get a room (or bed) with access to the bathrrom and kitchen for $15/$20 night. I even stayed at one house where the owner made breakfast every morning as part of the deal.

The skyrider is expensive for what it is..I stayed at a team room last time and when you are sharing with 3 others it isnt bad a bad price at all, but it is a trailer with bunkbeds, no frills, but definately the basics.

I say the ideal thing is calling the DZ to see if other local jumpers have rooms for rent. They are usually really inexpensive, nice accomodations and gets you the inside track of meeting local jumpers, make fun jumps or let you know where the hot spots are around town.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

what about a lift from the airport?

Same thing as the lodging, call the DZ. Most of them have a jumper who will provide rides to and from major airports for a reasonable fee. Keep in mind that the reasonable fee has to cover gas at $4/gal and the time it takes to drive round trip. Even if it costs you $40 each way, the $80 you'll spend would rent you a car for 2 days including paying for gas, so if you're staying for more than 2 days, it's cheaper than renting a car.

Also, if you rent a room from a jumper, there are ususally other jumpers there, and you can bum a ride to the DZ in the morning. Even if there are not, sometimes the host will drop you off, or at least get you close. I've even stayed in a house where the owner had a spare bike that we could use to ride to the DZ if we wanted (it was about a mile at best).

Another trick you can use, if you plan to dump the trip on a credit card, is to trade jumps for services. Instead of $40 to pcik you up from the airport, see if the guy will take two jumps. Maybe a room somewhere can be had for 1 jump per night. This way you can just charge all the jumps to your card, and keep any cash you have in your pocket.