loopyF

Best and cheapest place to do AFF in the USA?

Hi guys, I'm new here and just looking for some info on doing an AFF course in the States. I'll be travelling there this summer so I'd like to do the course reasonably quickly and cheaply (no cut corners tho of course!) I'll be on the East and West coasts mainly, not much time in the middle bits!

So what do you guys recommend? Thank you for any tips!

Hi guys, I'm new here and just looking for some info on doing an AFF course in the States. I'll be travelling there this summer so I'd like to do the course reasonably quickly and cheaply (no cut corners tho of course!) I'll be on the East and West coasts mainly, not much time in the middle bits!

So what do you guys recommend? Thank you for any tips!

When your butts on the line are you sure you want to go shopping for the cheapest and the best.IMO they don't exist.

I recommend you start looking for the best first. Thats the important thing. You gets what you pay for unless you got boobs. Than you can make a deal that you might live to regret.
One Jump Wonder

I'd like to do the course reasonably quickly and cheaply (no cut corners tho of course!)

There's a basic set of rules that any development process follows:

Cost, Quality, and Speed. But you can only get two of those at one time.

When you apply those ideas to skydiving instruction, it works out this way:

1. The places that you can get cheap, high quality instruction are in high demand or have low capacity for training, meaning that you will have to spend a lot of time.

2. If you find a place that has fast, high quality training, it's not going to be cheap.

3. If you find a place that's cheap and fast WRT training, please question the quality. Of the three examples, this one is most likely to have exceptions and least likely to be easy to find. I'm only spending extra time on this response because I know every other skydiving club out there will take exception.

Your best option is to go for the least expensive high quality training you can get. Expect it to take time.
Owned by Remi #?

Why? All you, a relatively new jumper (with all due respect) have provided, is a link to a place which presumably worked out for you. Are you qualified to rate this place as compared to the hundreds of other DZs out there? I'd think the OP would be best served by something other than a mere commercial.

Why? All you, a relatively new jumper (with all due respect) have provided, is a link to a place which presumably worked out for you. Are you qualified to rate this place as compared to the hundreds of other DZs out there? I'd think the OP would be best served by something other than a mere commercial.

Yes I, "a relatively new jumper" posted a link as to where the OP "could" start. Did you even read the information provided in the link? Instead of blasting me, what was your purpose even responding to my post? You could have easily posted something useful for the OP, but did not.

To the OP. He does all of his training out at Lodi, CA. If you will be out in this area, it may be worth checking out. There are also hundreds of other DZ's out there that have great training programs also.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Just because you graduated AFF doesn't mean you're a skydiver. Not by a long shot.

It's 18 more jumps till your licensed and a couple hundred more before you're even vaguely competent.

Regardless of what you do for AFF, make sure that you've given as much thought to where you'll be jumping when you get back from your Summer travels.

If you want to get a full on license at Lodi, just be aware that once you're off AFF you'll have to be really proactive, seeking out (and paying for) coaches who will take you all the way to your license. Again, unless you've got nice tits.

Hi there:

If you spend any time on the East Coast, Freefall Adventures is open daily and we have plenty of staff to jump with you. We typically run a king Air weekdays.
We run a good, solid training program which is in line with all the USPA recommendations. With good weather typically people move through all their student achievements in about 2 weeks - some even less time. If you want to give us a call we can go over the curriculum with you and see if it is what you are looking for: 856-629-7553.
We are located about 20 minutes from Philly and about 40 minutes from Atlantic City. It is a very urban DZ with lots to do when you are not jumping, and a really friendly crew.
Best of luck in your travels! If you get your ratings elsewhere please drop by for one of our events!
Where the world comes to skydive!

I'll rate it then. 2 thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, they'd all be up. What else do you want to know?

I have no affiliation by the way.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ahh, too much emphasis on semantics.

The gist of what I was trying to say was that he needs to think beyond AFF and that at certain places he'll have to be proactive about it.

Whether or not he gets to call himself a skydiver and wear a "skydiving kicks ass" t-shirt is a fairly unimportant to me.

I've read and heard good things about skydivethefarm in Georgia and they seem to have good prices on AFF it's where I'm contemplating doing my AFF + A license.

this is my first post in many a year...I did a tandem when I was 18 signed up for this site when I was 16 thinking the legal age to skydive (tandem or not) was 16...had to wait 2 years to do a tandem and just now starting to have the funds to pursue my A license/AFF.

Chad

MWLWN LABE!
- "Come Get Them"

I've read and heard good things about skydivethefarm in Georgia and they seem to have good prices on AFF it's where I'm contemplating doing my AFF + A license.

+1

I am in my research stages now, but I also plan on completing my AFF/ Class A at The Farm this summer. Will be doing some wind tunnel time at Appalachian Amusement Center in a couple of weeks, and then I will be heading to The Farm. I have read nothing but great things about them.

You'll hear, and already have, some talk about "cheap" vs "quality".

You get both at Skydive The Farm.
There's a reason why we're listed so high in the dropzone reviews on this site.

We're just outside of Atlanta, Ga.

Give the DZO, Hans Paulsen, a call at 404-295-5000.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Will be doing some wind tunnel time at Appalachian Amusement Center in a couple of weeks

Might I suggest the Parclete SkyVenture wind tunnel in Raeford, NC instead?
Better quality in every aspect.

http://www.paracletexp.com/
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Although the tunnel in TN will give you a feel for what it will be like in freefall you probably will not get much out of the time because of the design of that tunnel. You'll spend much of your time just trying to stay on the "bubble" of air. As has already been mentioned think about the tunnel in Raeford NC or possibly the one in Orlando. Both can tailor your tunnel time to prep you for AFF.

Not trying to thread jack, but I have received a few PMs about AAC as well. All are leading me to believe it is more geared towards having fun and not for training, which is discouraging for me. I guess I will have to change my plans, but I am glad I found this out before I wasted time and money going to AAC. It just sucks that the next nearest tunnels are so far away. I may just resort to going straight into AFF, but I would definitely prefer to have tunnel time beforehand. Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

I think the more important thing is to decide what part of the Country you might like to go to....The higher cost of a flight might easily eat up any savings on the course.

Also you need to decide WHEN and WHERE. It might be a bad idea to head to Perris when the Santa Anna winds are kicking, Chicago in January, or Zhills in the middle of summer.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Check out Plymouth Sky Sports. Brand new student equipment, state of the art training, and the people running it are of SDC fame (or notoriety, depending on how you look at it).
After your two tandems, $2599 includes everything through jump 25 and your "A" license.
Additionally, the program was designed to be completed in 7 days. Right up your alley!
http://www.plymouthskysports.com/learn_to_skydive.htm
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.