blueskyychic

Lindbergh Boogie - Americus, GA

The 3rd Annual Lindbergh Boogie is brought to you by Americus-Sumter Festivals, Inc. along with the Americus-Sumter Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club of Americus. We had such a good time last 2 years that the city & county decided they’d like to bring back an aviation festival on a yearly basis.

Souther Field (now officially Jimmy Carter Regional Airport) is a large open airport with plenty of space and your choice of outs if needed. The Director of the Airport Authority is down for anything that will liven up the place a little bit -- there's a lot of history and potential at this place that no one pays attention to.

So here at the details for now, and if I miss anything you need just shout it out and I'll try to get you an answer:

Dates
Friday, April 15, 2011 (12:00 PM Start)
Saturday, April 16, 2011 (All Day)
Sunday, April 17, 2011 (All Day)

Jumps
PAC 750XL from Skydive Deland
$20 Registration
$20 Jumps

**Registration includes food and beverage party Saturday night**

Hot Air Balloon - TBA

*Packing services scheduled

Hotels
Quality Inn (Highway 19/MLK Blvd, 5-6 miles from airport) - 229-324-4431
**Skydiver Rate $60/night**
Hampton Inn (Hwy 280 East, ~4 miles from airport) - 229-324-2138
Regular Rate $110/night
Holiday Inn Express (Hwy 280 East next to Hampton) - 229-928-5400
Regular Rate $77.95/night
Windsor Hotel (Lamar Street Downtown, 4 miles) - 229-924-1555
Historic Landmark, 100+ years old
*Skydiver Rate $75/night*
Days Inn (Hwy 19/MLK Blvd, 5-6 miles)
Not the highest quality, but best value: $39.95/single bed or $49.95 double beds

RV/Tent Camping

RV slots will be available at the airport, but I have to meet w/ the airport director for a final Number and specifics re: power hookups, etc... You are also welcome to pitch a tent if so inclined. We will be allowed access to the FBO shower and bathrooms after hours.

There are also RV slots available at the Brickyard RV park 15 miles away.

Food Vendors
The Festival Committee and Rotary will be coordinating food vendors and concessions on site.

After Hours
Bonfire & Cookout Saturday @ the airport

Local Restaurants
Lots of good local places to eat and drink in town, so I'll give a few to pick from...

Roman Oven Pizzeria (good pizza, sandwiches, and beer)
Pat's Place (good pizza, sandwiches, and beer)
2 Duke’s Barbecue (great bbq, chicken, & ribs)
Forsyth 1889 Bar & Grill (good food and beer selection)
The Station (good food and bar)
El Jalapeno (good mexican)
Woods Swinging Wings (great wings, beer)

Chain Restaurants: Ruby Tuesdays, Zaxby's, Wendy's, Subway, Taco Bell, McD's, Captain D's, Sonic, Pizza Hut, Domino's Delivery, Burger King, Hardee's

Other Points of Interest you may need:
Mike's Party Center (package store)
WalMart Supercenter

Other Events
The "Flying Feet" 5K will start at 8:20 AM on Saturday and the "Lucky Lindy" Fun Run will begin at 8:00 AM. Both races will be held at South Georgia Technical College right next to Souther Field. Day-of registration begins at 7:00 AM.

We will have inflatable playplaces for the kids (Moon Walk, Castle Bounce/Fun House, Giant Slide, Bungee Run), a dunking booth, a paper airplane flying contest, airplane rides (Cessna 172 with the Americus Flying Club), and some static displays of airplanes.

The Southeastern Electric Flight Festival will be going on at the same time just a few miles away from the airport. If you are into RC planes and helicopters you've got to check it out - it's probably the largest "fly-in" of its kind in the SE USA.

If you are travelling to Americus....
Be careful about using "223 Airport Road" in Google Maps or Mapquest -- some of the online map generators actually show you a point south of town which is entirely INCORRECT.

To get a map to pull up so that you can actually see the airport, use "Souther Field Road" or "Highway 49 North" in Americus (zip 31709). The airport is N/NE of Americus by 2-3 miles.

The idea of this whole event is to draw the entire community out and get them excited about flying and skydiving. It will be a boogie for us, but an exhibition for them...

Blue skies!!!!

Do we enter the airport off of S Georgia Tech Parkway or do we enter on the other side of the airport on Airport Road?

From Atlanta

I-75 S (past Perry) to Exit 127
Right (West) onto Hwy 27 through Henderson to Ogelthorpe
Left on Hwy 49 through Anderson to Americus

If entering on GT PKWY:
Right on S Georgia Tech Parkway just before Americus
Left on Career Ave.

If entering on Airport Rd:
Continue past S Georgia Tech Parkway just before Americus and turn right onto Airport Road
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The chopper (still don't know the type) was contacted by a committee member to come as a static aircraft display. He offered rides to passengers in addition, and when he was told of skydivers at the event he consented to that too! Got my fingers crossed it will work out well enough for a repeat appearance next year B|

We will actually have the jumping operation set up inside the fenced area about 200 yards from the FBO. You can camp anywhere around that area, and the best place will probably be up against the fence at the end of the taxiway.

We will try to flag off a camping are for you, but chances are we will still be hanging around Friday night too. Just don't set up on the runway or tarmac and you should be fine - haha. The FBO has a shower available for your use.

Had about 15 jumpers show last year - even though the the weather was absolute CRAP. We only managed about 10 loads the whole weekend.

Two years ago, we had about 60 jumpers show up. Because we only have a PAC, we don't draw huge. But we'll have a good time with those who do make it to Americus.

For anyone planning on camping Friday night, keep an eye towards the sky, There is an interesting storm system developing that is predicted to bring a potentially serious squall line through GA Friday night into early Sat morning. Right now the bulk of the serious storms are predicted to be north through the Atlanta area but things can change in the next roughly 48 hrs and shift/extend that line further south to the Americus area.

Current predictions have the front moving through around daybreak Saturday morning then clearing. So Sat/Sun should be mostly good but one would guess winds might be interesting early on Saturday.

I'm going to try to be there for Friday. But have to be somewhere else for Sat/Sun

Blue Skies (Please....)

Hey guys,

The weather looks to be fine Saturday afternoon, winds no higher than 15 mph and sunny. I’d say after 12:00. Sunday looks great with 7 mph and clear blue. Come on out and let’s get what we can on Saturday, have a nice party and jump our asses off Sunday.

Fortson
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Great weather & jumps on Sunday! Had some really good 8 - 9wys! Thanx to Jackie for, once again, putting on this great event! Thanx to Jack & Forts for the great organizing & Charlie for the great flying & spots! Great to jump w/our Tree People Family, TC, Steve & Doug! Special thanx to Regina for feeding us lunch Sunday! Hope to see & jump w/everyone again soon! Love ya'll! Mean it!
Debi & Keith Brock
-------------------------------------------------
Lord please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.