saligia

Skydive Chicago AFP Tandem Requirements?

I've tried searching the forums. I've tried emailing various addresses on their site (they keep bouncing!). I've yet to call (b/c I keep bizarre hours! and my cell phone service sucks the last few days! >:(), so I'm hoping that perhaps someone familiar with SDC's AFP program *may* be able to assist me, although I'm not being too overly optimistic at this point, and I suspect it is going to require direct contact with them.

I am learning towards enrollment in SDC's AFP program. In review of their accelerated one week course, their information indicates that 2 tandem jumps are required.

Question 1: Are 2 tandem jumps ONLY required for the accelerated one week course, or for enrollment in the AFP program in general? It's been my understanding in the review of other AFP programs that they're required even if you complete the course at your own pace, so I'm wondering if the placement of the information is just off and I'm misinterpreting.

Question 2: Must one complete both tandem jumps at SDC? I have a tandem jump at another location, and I am wondering whether SDC would credit it as long as I have evidence that I completed the jump. I do plan to complete a tandem jump there with a group of folks early next month. And I certainly do not have an aversion to jumping as much as possible, but my pocketbook may question paying for even more tandem jumps if I can skip one and go for the next step in the AFP sequence . . . Unless I'm missing something vital to my education here, in which case, please feel free to enlighten me!

Cheers!

Hi,
I work at SDC and went through the student program 2 years ago. The two tandems are required for the student program, not just the AFP in a week. As long as you can provide a record of your tandem, they will be accepted from another dropzone. Our tandems are incorporated in the student program, and if you chose to do your tandems at SDC there is more of a flow from your tandem jumps to your student jumps. I hope that answers your questions, please feel free to message me if you need anything else.
"I love when humans fly,"

Thanks for the info! I thought that might be the case regarding the 2 required jumps (and I'm sorely tempted to do an extra while I'm there next month with my group for the heck of it anyway, but we'll see how the cash flow is at the time!).

This may be more of personal preference and/or ability to pay, but do you have any thoughts as to whether it is better to complete the AFP in a week if possible or at one's own pace? I could potentially see the benefits of receiving one's training within one week but not sure if there might be something I'm overlooking either way...

Thanks for responding!

If you have the time, I recommend the AFP in a Week. You are doing jumps more frequently, so your learning curve is greater. Generally if you take a couple of weeks off, your muscle memory can fade and make learning a little more difficult. You do have the option of paying the AFP in a week price and still jump at your own pace. It is more cost efficient that way as your jumps and gear rental are paid for through 25 jumps, you have to cover that expense per jump otherwise, and gear rental gets expensive very quickly. When are you coming out for your tandems?
"I love when humans fly,"

That's what I sort of presumed.

From my understanding, there's supposed to be a large tandem event being co-hosted by a fellow motorcycle rider on May 7th. (SDC's his home DZ.) He invited the rest of the crew to tag along if we were interested.