Skootz

Lost Prairie Boogie 2011 - July 23rd - August 1st

I'm trying to avoid last second packing, which is what I typically do; I started putting things in a luggage this morning and seeing bikinis next to my fleece jackets, it feels like I'm not doing it right :$ ...

Sounds like a good combo. :)

Bose iPod sound dock :ph34r: ...

O

Is that battery powered? Can prolly find power to recharge, but a constant power source may be an issue.

And I won't even make the joke about bringing enough batteries so you don't have to ration. ;)

Also it's good you're leaving a day early as that give ya time for you or your luggage to delayed. :$
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I'm trying to avoid last second packing, which is what I typically do; I started putting things in a luggage this morning and seeing bikinis next to my fleece jackets, it feels like I'm not doing it right :$ ...

No, you're doing it right. :D.

So, prepare for very, very, very hot during the day and (relatively) very, very cold at night, correct?

Pretty much. Although the recent conditions and the forecast would indicate we are in for some pretty mild temperatures during the day (low 70's to low 80's). Still, temps in the high 90's were not uncommon in past years.

The key to packing light is recycling and layering. A couple pairs of shorts, a few of your lightweight tops of choice, and yes your bikinis, should get you through the days just fine.

The mosquitos historically come out in force around sunset. For those times you should pack a pair or two of jeans and a couple long sleeve shirts treated with that permethrin stuff.

Your fleece should take care of you up until about midnight. After that you'll either need to head to the fire or find another layer.

I think the only person we need to frequently remind to bring plenty of clean underwear is Mahoney. So I'm sure you've got that covered.

This is the last stupid question, I promise B| ...

There are no stu... nevermind. Seriously planning to be comfortable at an event like this one just makes good sense.

Oh and two more sleeps for me! Wheeeeee!

Man I can’t wait to get to the Prairie! Thanks to my wife’s maternity leave we get to come for the entire time this year. See you all Friday morning.

PS. If anyone wants to babysit let us know:)

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I lied ... one more stupid question: freefly suit or RW suit? (What is the typical crowd comprised of at this boggie?)

I suck at both, but can "hang" with others in both disciplines. The suits (especially the grippy RW one) take a lot of space.

If I had it my way, I would jump in tights and t-shirt, but if I do so, I fall like a brick; 135mph on belly or 165mph in a sit anyone? B|

O

I lied ... one more stupid question: freefly suit or RW suit? (What is the typical crowd comprised of at this boggie?)

I suck at both, but can "hang" with others in both disciplines. The suits (especially the grippy RW one) take a lot of space.

If I had it my way, I would jump in tights and t-shirt, but if I do so, I fall like a brick; 135mph on belly or 165mph in a sit anyone? B|

O

O.... I just love you to pieces....if able bring both ---- there will be freeflyers and rw flyers in the ft washington group. I know it will see like lots of stuff to bring but, as tall guy says....dress for success. doc and i do mostly rw, but we have some in the group who do free flying. i would bring the bigger rig. not going to be as hot this year as most...so the forecast says, but, you are still jumping in higher elevations than you are use to. we have a ton of bug spray and think we will be getting more. we will do a liquor run and a grocery run for you and the others on saturday after you get in...then we will be making jello shots and other goodies. let the shit show begin...the hookers will be arriving in style. :-):o:o:o:o
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hi DPDonovan,

That´s right. Sent you a PM with the details.
Do I have to worry about food or is there some place within walking distance?

Happy landings, Rafael

There should be at least one food concession on site; if you want to buy your own stuff for cheaper options, you'll need to get that in town - there are no stores within walking distance and no stores of any serious size very close at all. That said, there's always people heading into town (either the little town locally, or the more sizeable town 40 mins away) who can either take you with them or pick stuff up for you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

O

Yes

But you won't be there.... WTF?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

OK, time for all speculation to end. It's Boogie time and time will tell.

Mad John is there today, early afternoon.

Hope to see and jump with as many of you as I can.

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Hope you all have a FANTASTIC time at LP everyone! I am heading to te boogie in Batchelor tommorow. Its supposed to be the best boogie in australia.

I can Promise you that I will be standing naked on a rock around a bonfire for the next 10 days! even if I have to move a rock and start a fire

Cant wait to see the pictures and hear your stories. I will be sure to bring you some of my own from the week that follows!
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Oh my goodness.....I don't think that I will be able to keep myself away from LP this weekend. I was going to try and stay home and get caught up on things......but I'm thinking all those "things" will still be waiting on me when I get back home. Hmmmm....I have a feeling I will be spending my Friday night in a lovely little valley.

What kind of Scotch are you bringing Madjohn? Ive got my eye on a good bottle for this tripB|

Ahhh first time I'm so stoked about going. Have to buy a car and probably fix it first but hopefully I'll be there from the tues-wed till end B|

I already got some tips from the Australians before I came back... at least I know where the good camping spots are and where the manifest / beer will be. A couple of the skydivers I met in Sydney knew people who were going or had been there before.

Ahhh first time I'm so stoked about going. Have to buy a car and probably fix it first but hopefully I'll be there from the tues-wed till end B|

I already got some tips from the Australians before I came back... at least I know where the good camping spots are and where the manifest / beer will be. A couple of the skydivers I met in Sydney knew people who were going or had been there before.

Yes, but it's all going to be set up differently this year. Still, you'll have a great time. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So.... after all this back-and-forth (and, dare I say drama, here's my first-hand Lost Prairie Boogie 2011 report.

-The weather was terrible
-The skydives sucked.
-The beer was warm.
-There were too many damn Canadians.
-The boobies came out on Topless Tuesday.
-The junk came out on Wobbly Wednesday.
-There was "be kind to Canadians" day.
-People went to the fire tower and the last two Otters of the day buzzed the tower.
-Lots of time was spent at the lake.
-Mad John organized daily Almost Sober loads.
-The Cock Chorus sucked less.
-The Crack Choir sounded pretty great.
-People told bullshit stories around the bonfire.
-Lots of poker was played.
-Some visits were made to Moose's pizza.
-No wind landings were typically entertaining.
-Saturday ended with a beautiful sunset cross country down the valley and a two-Otter flyby.
-The Skydive Arizona crew kept manifest running smoothly and the planes humming.
-We did our business in Pee-Wees porta potties
-There was pie.
-There were fireworks
-We all came home covered in Prairie dust.

For anyone who's ever been to LP, that list of stuff oughta sound awfully familiar. The sky did not fall (well, unless you count that wicked hailstorm we got on Monday!).

But here's what else I saw this year:

-Arizona Arsenal added some great freefly/tracking/hybrid/etc. organizing & coaching.
-Registration included a boogie t-shirt.
-We could land right in front of our campsites/packing tents on a flat, green landing area (though I think we have Mother Nature and the wet winter/spring to thank for the "green" part).
-Registration also included Saturday dinner
-RVs had the option of electrical hookups right near the manifest building.
-There were EMTs from the Marion fire department on site during all jumping hours.
-There was a bar; no, it won't ever replace the Lost Prairie Lounge, and this year's was only temporary, but it provided a place to gather, and dance, and make jackasses of ourselves after hours.

From what I observed, the operators of Meadow Peak Skydiving and Skydive Lost Prairie worked together well to keep both the fun jumper and the tandem/student operations working smoothly throughout the boogie and if there was any lingering hostility between the parties, I certainly didn't see it.

I realize this was only my 7th Lost Prairie and I don't have the history of those of you who have been coming for way longer than that, but I gotta say that I appreciated the fact that all the boogie traditions were maintained while the boogie also evolves. This boogie is special because of the people and the traditions that they make and carry on, but at the same time, it will always be evolving and needs to evolve if we want it to continue being around 20 years from now.

It better be - I already put my name on the list for the 2031 Montana SOS record.B|