Skootz

Lost Prairie Boogie 2011 - July 23rd - August 1st

Skybytch, I am going to try to stay on the mild side of the dickhead scale. Like the old John Wayne poster says, “Life is tough---it’s tougher if you are stupid”; now where the poster came up short is that it didn’t address that life is really the toughest when a person is ignorant. Stupidity has an excuse, some people are just born with an inability to comprehend situations in life, but when one is privy to the facts and has the facilities to understand them---yet chooses to ignore them---that’s what makes life real tough. Now I am not calling anyone names---just imparting a little information.
Now let’s start with the Lost Prairie Airstrip Inc. I think there are about 150 shares of airport stock that are split between somewhere around 10 people. These are the OWNERS of Lost Prairie Airstrip Inc.(NOT Skydive Lost Prairie). The person who has run the commercial operation owns roughly 25 to 30 shares or about 1/5 of the shares---but in fact does NOT own the airstrip. Now the other (let’s say 9 people, in addition to the commercial operation) that own part of the airport have to pay out of their pockets for the upkeep (paving, mowing, surface repair, plowing, gopher removal) of the airport (roughly about $13,000, or just a little over $100 per share). In all actually this airport is a business---and when these people invest in the airport they expect a return for their dollar. Now in the early 90’s the boogie thrived with as many as 700 registered jumpers (pre-paved runway days), and kept a fairly good population of jumpers (say 350-450) for a few years. A jumpmeet of this size had the potential to alleviate some of the financial contributions by all parties involved in the ownership of the airport. For the last 5-10 years the boogie has struggled to pull in 200 to 300 jumpers (mostly in the low 200’s for the last few years).
The jumpmeet was originally some smaller planes, then in about 1986 or so it bumped up to a couple of twin beeches---followed soon after by Skydive Arizona’s Westwind turbines----then onto 1992 (25th annual boogie) 4 Twin Otters, a Skyvan and a DC-3. The last few years there have been days where it was difficult to keep an Otter busy---let alone the two that have showed up at least on a regular basis. Now if the owner of Skydive Arizona can’t make enough money (he shouldn’t have to pay out of his own pocket for your fun) to justify bringing quality aircraft up for the boogie then it’s not a skydiving boogie---it’s just camping. The boogie has been going downhill and someone has to be accountable. As Donald Trump would say, “Your Fired.”
Now in the immortal words of UPS, “Let’s see what brown can do for you” (brown is the commercial operator in case you don’t figure it out). As a jumper in past years you’ve paid anywhere from $20 to last years high of $35 for registration at the Lost Prairie Boogie. For that registration money you got---let’s see
1. Your gear checked by an unpaid volunteer licensed rigger
2. Showers that are available 24 hours
3. Pack on a UNWATERED brown, dusty, dirty lawn
4. Porta-potties
5. ---------------------------I can’t think of anything else (fill me in if I missed something)
No plush green packing area, no beer, no Saturday night meal, no T-shirts (what has brown done for you?)-----really not much of anything. Boy, after running a large boogie like this for 25 years, you would think that the commercial operator would at least invest in himself to some degree and would at least put in a sprinkler system (total cost between $1500 and $2000) on his ¾ of an acre on which you were packing on year after year in the dust (show the jumpers some appreciation, make it a place that is nice to come back to).
Now some things that have transpired up at the Prairie are just things that happened---no fault of anyone. This last year the Lost Prairie Lounge was sold at a sheriff’s sale. There were supposedly unpaid bills by the owner and the bar changed hands---end of story. Not much could be done about that situation. The landing field was sold about 5 or 6 years ago and the supposed lifetime easement to skydivers was found to be in error on the land title. The easement listed the wrong section of land and thenceforth the airstrip lost the right to use the field as a landing zone. Now something was done about this situation. One of the Airstrip owners stepped up and made a reasonable offer for the landing field---the commercial operator (who stood to gain the most from this property did not make a reasonable offer {or possibly failed to make an offer at all!})---once again a failure to invest in oneself.
Now all that is happening at Lost Prairie is a transition. If you haven’t noticed things change in the world all by themselves at times. The new boogie operator doesn’t have a bunch of malice towards the old commercial operator (in fact he is allowing him to run the tandem concession at this years boogie, which is where ALL the money is {200 tandems @ $249 =$49,800 minus 400 slots (200 tandems@ $50 for two) $10,000= $39,800. Subtract the jumpmaster fee of $35 plus $10 for packing ($45 x 200=$9,000 for a grand total of $30,800---not bad for answering the phone for 30 days and showing up for 10 days---Sometimes they have done close to 300 tandems, you do the math! )---the new operator just wants to be able to walk out his door and make a skydive, not sit on the ground all day and wait for tandems. He would like for skydivers to be able to come out and make a few skydives and enjoy being at the Prairie and keep coming back to the Prairie.
If you want to go buy a little valley in Montana and have the commercial operator run it for you, be our guest. I have a few stories that I would like to tell you about “the commercial operator” but it wouldn’t really serve any real good purpose. All I can tell you is that he suffers from the same financial fears that a lot of other people do which cause him to act in ways that maybe he shouldn’t. I understand it because my father (like his) was brought up during the depression of the 30’s and still pinches a penny today (crap the parents do rubs off on you) ---I remind my father to this day that that depression got over with about 70 years ago. But until people decide to have an open mind and see things differently they generally continue to experience a walk on a tougher road.
The new operator wants to make things better for the skydiver---it won't be perfect this year but it will be a good enough start to run stronger every year. Like any successful enterprise you have to have a quality product for the people to show up---that's what has been missing at this boogie for quite a while. Like Tall Guy says "it's about the people". When things are better for the jumper---more people show up, you have the opportunity to meet more friends, have more fun, and make good skydives.

As a jumper in past years you’ve paid anywhere from $20 to last years high of $35 for registration at the Lost Prairie Boogie. For that registration money you got---let’s see
1. Your gear checked by an unpaid volunteer licensed rigger
2. Showers that are available 24 hours
3. Pack on a UNWATERED brown, dusty, dirty lawn
4. Porta-potties
5. ---------------------------I can’t think of

6. Large aircraft (Ferry fees for planes from AZ aren't cheap)
7. Free Load Organizers
8. Last year we got free beer
9. In years where we couldn't land across the runway, we got free shuttle rides back to the main area.
10. The firewood for those fires came from somewhere.

I'm sure there are more. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Seriously there were a lot of skeeters still a week ago but they are on the decline---once the hay is cut in the landing and camping field they will have less place to hide in the long grass. They will turn into creatures of "opportunism" and head for the cow herds to the north and south of the dropzone---just a few hot days will drive them out of the short grass and the weather sounds like we will get that this coming week.

I had to google "skeeters" ... coming up empty handed; what the hell are we talking about? Anything cute and cuddly or something scary? (I'm assuming it's an animal of sorts :)
O

yeah the lodge is ready for the ice situation, (8 7/16 minutes away) and the wally world is open 24 hours in kalispell. Moose Crossing in marion also has a whole bunch of food, supplies and cheep beer, actually GREAT prices for a gas station that far from town, I would say try that before risking sanity in kalispell. just my 2 cents. and gas is about the same price in marion as kalispell. plus Vern the owner is a kick in the ass to B.S with. have fun!

Awesome, Adam! Thanks!
'Shell

thanks for your opinion dave, I feel much better about the situation. Also remember thats all it is, an opinion or better, a point of view. and thats cool because every one is entitled to one. Quit bashing people, this is lost prairie for fuck sake we don't need essays like this to fuel the fire, let people decide for themselves. :)

the big dirty

1.No ferry fees aren't cheap----THEY HAVE BEEN FREE HERE FOR 20 SOME YEARS BECAUSE OF LARRY'S GRACIOUSNESS
2.Last year you got free beer compliments of Wayne Cross---he paid for it all--every bit
3. You got free shuttle rides on Wayne Cross's trailer
4. Fire wood came from the bar.
Sorry I spaced out the Load Organizers

WOW.WOW.WOW. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? HOW MANY SHARES DO YOU HAVE @ L.P.? HOW DID YOUR DZ DO? HOW MANY STUDENTS DID YOU TEACH? HOW MANY JUMPS DID YOU DO IN THE PAST 5 YEARS? THANKS FOR THE BUSINESS LESSON! KEEP YOUR POINT OF VIEW TO YOURSELF!!!!!! IF ANYONE WANTS TO KEEP THE DREAM OF JUMPING @ L.P. GET A F@#$#ING RATEING AND START TEACHING.
THIS IS LOST PRAIRIE FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!!
PS you have been here for 90 days:)

All very well said and appreciated, Mr. Townsend... to all your posts in this thread. Glad you are going again, my brother.
Lost Paulie

Aeroflyer
Airtime1
Big Sky
Bob Moore
DBCooper
Deb
Grannyinthesky
Grimmie
Happychick
JohnMitchell & Vskydiver
Kdub
Ladydyver & Dr. Dive
Lucky
lostpaulie (good luck finding him, though)
Markus (Little Spoon)
monkycndo
NDFallrate
Nidaho
NWFlyer
Olympia
Sheepfucker
Shell666
Skootz
Skybytch & Keith
Skych1k
Tall Guy

Remember O doc and I will be bringing everything you need except for you persoanl items..don't forget your corset hooker! We have bug spray food ect. We will be making jello shots Saturday and will take you shopping for any items that you want. The store and liquor store are 10 minutes from our house and we will do a run after you get in on Saturday, have an evening of debauchery and crash...up early to travel - let me know if you have any other questions:)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Skiing in July. My God, the world is just burning up.

'Road to the Sun' in Glacier was closed until the second week in July. The pass was still under 8 feet of snow and had to be dug out with heavy equipment.

I drove through it Thursday and I still saw two guy loading up their pack with skis strapped to the sides.

Hi Iago

Lifetime pass to all national parks for old farts and the rest of the car $10. Only requirement is OLD.
B|

As long as we don't forget[:/]

Only part of the world is burning up. We're having a record breaking summer. Cool that is. I'm not telling where. to many people as it is:P

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

Aeroflyer
Airtime1
Big Sky
Bob Moore
DBCooper
Deb
Grannyinthesky
Grimmie
Happychick
JohnMitchell & Vskydiver
Karenmeal and Jeff
Kdub
Ladydyver & Dr. Dive
Lucky
lostpaulie (good luck finding him, though)
Markus (Little Spoon)
monkycndo
NDFallrate
Nidaho
NWFlyer
Olympia
Sheepfucker
Shell666
Skootz
Skybytch & Keith
Skych1k
Tall Guy

I will see you all from the first to the last Sunday. Would be there on Saturday but the banjo-playing-hubby is playing a gig! B|

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Remember O doc and I will be bringing everything you need except for you persoanl items..don't forget your corset hooker! We have bug spray food ect. We will be making jello shots Saturday and will take you shopping for any items that you want. The store and liquor store are 10 minutes from our house and we will do a run after you get in on Saturday, have an evening of debauchery and crash...up early to travel - let me know if you have any other questions:)

I feel so spoiled already :$ ... I you and Doc B| ...

O

Just a general PSA while I think about it. Field elevation at LP is about 3600'

If you haven't spent much time jumping above sea level be ready to come in a little hotter than normal.

Plus I don't know how high we're going but we'll probably be bumping up into the 'Hypoxia Zone' . So, take a minute to review the symptoms and keep an eye on each other. If you go to high five your buddy on jump run and he does nothing but drool in response don't push him out of the door.

Thank you!!! I am aware of the elevation and good friends have been advising me to bring my old main (Pilot 188), since I just recently downsized to a Safire2 169. To my delight, I have actually been landing better on the smaller canopy (more speed = more flare finally "clicked" with me), but I only have about 12 - 15 jumps on the new/smaller one. I would preffer sticking with my new canopy, but if I'll end up scaring myself senseless on every landing, it may take the fun out of it. I jump at sea level, the highest elevation I've jumped at is Lake Elsinore, which is about 1,600ft, I believe ...

O

Just a general PSA while I think about it. Field elevation at LP is about 3600'

If you haven't spent much time jumping above sea level be ready to come in a little hotter than normal.

Plus I don't know how high we're going but we'll probably be bumping up into the 'Hypoxia Zone' . So, take a minute to review the symptoms and keep an eye on each other. If you go to high five your buddy on jump run and he does nothing but drool in response don't push him out of the door.

Thank you!!! I am aware of the elevation and good friends have been advising me to bring my old main (Pilot 188), since I just recently downsized to a Safire2 169. To my delight, I have actually been landing better on the smaller canopy (more speed = more flare finally "clicked" with me), but I only have about 12 - 15 jumps on the new/smaller one. I would preffer sticking with my new canopy, but if I'll end up scaring myself senseless on every landing, it may take the fun out of it. I jump at sea level, the highest elevation I've jumped at is Lake Elsinore, which is about 1,600ft, I believe ...

O

Go with the big one.. and be sure to take a chair out to the fence near the landing area.. and watch the carnage the first few loads.... and don't duplicate it;) I don't know how many people do not dial their landings down a few notches....when they get to Prairie... but it can be entertaining.. in a OH thats gonna hurt kinda way!!!!

Crash landings at the prairie don't have much to do with the elevation.

What do you expect with all of those uncurrent lumberjacks with rigs jumping with massive hangovers.B|

Lots and lots of entertainment value. That's why we always set up the shade tent with a good view of the landing area.

LP, the landing pattern is to land towards the windsock, no matter which way it points.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Crash landings at the prairie don't have much to do with the elevation.

What do you expect with all of those uncurrent lumberjacks with rigs jumping with massive hangovers.B|

Au contraire mon frere

I saw a certain professional jumper from Florida... bugger a swoop so bad.. I thought for sure he had broken his back when he did a butt strike right ibn front of us....I think it was the first or second jump after he got there.

I am a strong advocate of you brimging the bigger canopy. I landed my 168 last yr with no problems but downsized to a 150 this yr......have about 50 jumps on her....but still bringing the the 168 to lp...don't want to get hurt or eat shit on the landings. At home I am at about the same elevation as elsinore, which I have jumped @ multiple times, but figure it is better to be safe. We got ur back hooker, see you sat for jello shots and other fun filled excitement!:)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I'm trying to avoid last second packing, which is what I typically do; I started putting things in a luggage this morning and seeing bikinis next to my fleece jackets, it feels like I'm not doing it right :$ ...

So, prepare for very, very, very hot during the day and (relatively) very, very cold at night, correct?

This is the last stupid question, I promise B| ... I'm trying to keep my packing "minimalist", but I won't be able to avoid bringing 2 full size luggages; one of them filled up just with my jumpsuits, camera helmet, spare main canopy and Bose iPod sound dock :ph34r: ...

O