Skootz

Lost Prairie Boogie 2011 - July 23rd - August 1st

hang on - just how cold are we talking about? below freezing? 40s?

Any tips are greatly appreciated :)

Here is a list of my camping setup for the past 7 years. I have never been one of the people whining on a cold night. This is for "car camping" where you aren't worrying about toting this stuff on an airplane or hiking up a mountain to a camping spot. Forgive the Coleman ad, I just think that as cheap camping supplies go theirs is the best of the worst.

For those of you flying into Kalispell there is a Walmart and a massive sporting goods store in town where all of the following should be available.

1 9' x 7' Coleman tent ($50)
Smaller tents retain heat better, but it's nice to have a little extra room for your stuff. Don't buy the super cheap tent or the first rainy windy day is going to ruin your day.

1 pack of good tent stakes ($5)
The ones that come with your tent are useless! Use all these if you want your tent to survive the routinely observed dust devils.

1 Coleman queen sized air mattress ($25)
Plan to completely fill it each night before going to sleep if you don't want to wake up on the ground.

2 Cheap standard pillows ($10)

2 heavy identical rectangular sleeping bags. ($25-$70 each)
Personally I'd go for a couple Coleman Big Game Sleeping Bags (Tall Guy friendly), but if you want to save a buck or two you can go for something like the Coleman Brazos 30-Degree sleeping bags. Why two? Sometimes one just doesn't cut it and it's soooooo cozy to be able to pull the unzipped second one on top of the bag you are in. When the sun comes up and it starts getting toasty you can just shed it. If your air mattress develops a leak the second one should provide some nice cushioning and insulation from the ground. Orrrrr.... If you are having some company two such sleeping bags will zip together quite nicely. Your company should provide any additional required heating.

1 Headlamp ($10-20)
You don't want to accidentally stumble into a ditch or the wrong tent.

Without breaking the bank you should be able to survive the LP boogie nights quite comfortably.

Sorry ladies... This next piece of advice is just for the guys.
If you like beer and hate getting out of your tent 2-3 times a night, a large wide mouth water or Gatorade bottle can be your best friend. Just be sure to keep it capped and wash it out each morning.

Sorry ladies... This next piece of advice is just for the guys. If you like beer and hate getting out of your tent 2-3 times a night, a large wide mouth water or Gatorade bottle can be your best friend. Just be sure to keep it capped and wash it out each morning.

Why "just for the guys"? Ladies don't drink beer? Or don't need to pee during the cold nights??? :S

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

O

Any suggestions on how to keep the beer cold without ice readily available?

In past years, ice has been readily available each day at the bar. With the bar closed, I'm not sure exactly what we'll have as an option - I certainly hope that's been considered by the new boogie management. Maybe they'll have a vendor come in at a set time each day ... dunno.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

BTW ... in spite of all my "preemptive whinning" about the cold, I'm getting really excited about this trip :) and making a few skydives as well (not in that order) sounds just about perfect :)
O

It's really not all that bad, it's just something you need to be prepared for - we didn't want you coming out thinking you'd spend your evenings/overnights in a t-shirt and shorts - sun goes down, more clothes go on (well, up till a certain point in the evening when clothes start to come off again but that's another discussion altogether!)

I'm also one of those people whose body just "runs" cold, so I go a little overboard; others can get by with less, but better to have more layers/stuff that you can shed than to be shivering every night.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks K ... I don't know if I would have shown up as a "clueless city girl", but I would have not accounted for the mountanous region = colder nights. Shame on me for forgetting that, since I grew up high in the Carpatian mountains (Transylvania). Summer days would be beautiful and hot, but nights could be really, really cold ...

I can't wait ... is it Saturday yet? (Flying into Spokane to meet up with Cindy and Doc on the 23rd ... 9 days to go!!!!!!!!!)

O

Usually 40's, but ice on the windshield in the am is not unheard of.

Did you say "ice"???

I wonder what the refund policies are for Continental Airlines :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: ...

I'll stop being a princess ... but I really hate being cold. I guess I'll have to pack a bikini and my snowboarding clothes :S ...

O

Take the snowboard too.. there is still plenty of snow in the high country.... nothing quite like skiing or boarding in the middle of summer..... in a bikini:ph34r:

Sorry ladies... This next piece of advice is just for the guys. If you like beer and hate getting out of your tent 2-3 times a night, a large wide mouth water or Gatorade bottle can be your best friend. Just be sure to keep it capped and wash it out each morning.

Why "just for the guys"? Ladies don't drink beer? Or don't need to pee during the cold nights??? :S

O

Sorry Olympia, I wasn't really being an equal opportunity problem solver there was I?

Something like this should get closer to meeting your special needs.

Iago,

Remind me not to set my tent up in front of yours. As for ice... You may need to get it at the McGregor Lake Lodge. Just pick some up on your way back from the lake each day. MAYBE Wayndo will lease an ice chest from someone.

O

Sorry Olympia, I wasn't really being an equal opportunity problem solver there was I?

Something like this should get closer to meeting your special needs.

Iago,

Remind me not to set my tent up in front of yours. As for ice... You may need to get it at the McGregor Lake Lodge. Just pick some up on your way back from the lake each day. MAYBE Wayndo will lease an ice chest from someone.

Star and I will give the folks at the lodge a heads up when we get there about the ice situation. They don't normally have a large stock of it but may be able to bring in more.
'Shell

Hello,
Another first timer here. Flying in LATE at night to Kalispell...is the Walmart open 24 hours? I'm going to need to pick up supplies before driving out.
Looking forward to meeting everyone...

Always great to see a new jumper at the boogie!

Not sure about how late Walmart is open. You may have to google their number and give them a call.

Are you comfortable with making the drive and setting up camp by yourself in the middle of the night? If I was coming in late and renting a car I'd just spend the first night in a real bed in Kalispell then shop and setup camp in morning. But I'm just soft that way.

Are you comfortable with making the drive and setting up camp by yourself in the middle of the night? If I was coming in late and renting a car I'd just spend the first night in a real bed in Kalispell then shop and setup camp in morning. But I'm just soft that way.

Thanks for asking...I was lucky enough to secure an indoor place to stay, so I won't be camping. I was mainly hoping to pick up some food for the week at Walmart, not camping supplies.

High 30s is the lowest I've seen it, but as Ed said, generally mid-high 40s overnight. Last year wasn't so bad cold-wise while we were there, but I think the fact that it was cloudy/rainy a lot kept the temps more moderate. I'll take more sun and colder nights!

Whew - okay. I was thinking I needed to dig out the -80 crap. Not easy to do when its 102 here.

Will start driving soon!
Scars remind us that the past is real

High 30s is the lowest I've seen it, but as Ed said, generally mid-high 40s overnight. Last year wasn't so bad cold-wise while we were there, but I think the fact that it was cloudy/rainy a lot kept the temps more moderate. I'll take more sun and colder nights!

Whew - okay. I was thinking I needed to dig out the -80 crap. Not easy to do when its 102 here.

Will start driving soon!

Don't worry about blankets, etc. I bring extra just in case my friends that are tenting need some.

I also have two 80lb warmers if you need them. They make a bit of noise at night but are very cozy on cold nights. ;););)
'Shell

I am currently living at the Prairie. I have a large spare RV trailer that should not have anybody in it for the first four or five days if you want to stay out of the cold for a few days. It's about a 5 minute walk to the DZ. There is no water in it but you can just walk across the lawn and use the house for everything else. Tell me if you want it.

yeah the lodge is ready for the ice situation, (8 7/16 minutes away) and the wally world is open 24 hours in kalispell. Moose Crossing in marion also has a whole bunch of food, supplies and cheep beer, actually GREAT prices for a gas station that far from town, I would say try that before risking sanity in kalispell. just my 2 cents. and gas is about the same price in marion as kalispell. plus Vern the owner is a kick in the ass to B.S with. have fun!
the big dirty

Seriously there were a lot of skeeters still a week ago but they are on the decline---once the hay is cut in the landing and camping field they will have less place to hide in the long grass. They will turn into creatures of "opportunism" and head for the cow herds to the north and south of the dropzone---just a few hot days will drive them out of the short grass and the weather sounds like we will get that this coming week.